Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2023 17:30:21(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I need to use some older 3 rail bridge and ramp sections on my layout. I just do not have enough stud/puko sections to complete what I want to do.

Whatever I do my locos run slower on three rail than they do on stud track. Both are in good condition and clean etc, loco pick ups correctly set.

Any suggestions? Is this a known phenomena?
Offline Paul59  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2023 18:10:23(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi Michael, I don't know whether it's a common issue but some of my locos do seem to need a little bit more power when running on and off the turntable which has a solid centre rail. I guess it's the resistance of the slider and the fact that it's being lifted up a bit more. The studs are below the lever of the rail head whereas the third rail is at the same level.

Do all your locos do it or just some of them?
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2023 21:38:59(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Michel
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post

Whatever I do my locos run slower on three rail than they do on stud track. Both are in good condition and clean etc, loco pick ups correctly set.

Any suggestions? Is this a known phenomena?

I believe this has to do with increased friction slider-thirdrail is bigger than slider-studs because of the surface.
Usually M rails are easy and cheap to find (unlike curved bridges with stud) so why not use a Faller bridge-5100 curved units?
Cheers
Jean

Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2023 11:05:47(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Maybe if I reverted to the spoon type pick up it would improve running on the third rail but that wouldn't work on studs!

As Jean says, Faller can offer a solution but the old three rail bridge sections are very sturdy well made things, I'd like to use them if I can.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2023 13:01:45(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Michael
It is all a matter of choice and taste.
Indeed, early post-war M tracks were of high quality, even starting with brass, profiled, blackened rails. The rail bed was made of a thicker steel metal plate and "Kontaktlaschen" (contact tongues) were of a much higher quality. This came at a moment (1951-1955) when Märklin embarqued into a cost-cutting war to increase its market share.
On the other hand M track with studs appeared in 1956 and was really of a reasonnable quality (when new, because one can find many with abused rails and joiners).
There was a new generation of M track which appeared in the 1980s with:
- a fantastic precision manufacturing
- more coimpact turn-outs motors and lanterns
- invisible clips to fasten the contact tongues

The last M tracks were so well made that detecting were the rail joined was only possible by seeing the joiners

So, just my opinion, it is a matter of finding recent M track in near new condition, rather than using the old 3 rail track pieces
Here is a photo comparing the 3600 early track (1950) with the latest M track (1980-2000)
M-Track vs 3 rails.png
Spoon pick-ups wear rapidely and are expensive to replace

I went the other way by adapting a "normal" slider on a 1951 DL800 loco, of course without modifying any original part nor applying epoxy glue to those
DL800 SliderR side.png
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB