Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stickers66  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2023 17:56:38(UTC)
stickers66

Canada   
I have a BR24 steam loco that came as part of the 81565 starter set. It's a nice engine, but it likes to get stuck a lot. I know I have to clean my tracks a lot, abut it seems to get stuck in the same areas generally. And it doesn't get stuck in the curves but generally in the straight sections, often right on the power rail itself!

Do some engines have more fussy contact points? There's also the issue of the leading guide wheels on this loco - they are perhaps too small for the curves I make it navigate.

When I run the little 89 loco on this same layout it has no trouble, even running at low speeds. I'm looking at a small diesel such as the 88697 for this layout.

Any suggestions or is this just the world of Z scale?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2023 11:23:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Z-gauge is very sensitive to dust and often has pick-up issues. This discouraged Märklin to produce a digital version which they once considered.
Pick-up issues involve:
- rail cleaning
- wheel cleaning
- contact tongue cleaning
- design issues: the contact wheels should be suspended so that all contact the rails. Of course the number of axle picking up the current and the weight (pressure wheel-rail) are key factors. So larger models tend to be "less fussy"
- a layout that is fully protected from dust (glass cage) is a good option

Rail groves, etc: Some say that cleaning rails and wheels should never involve an abrasive material (sand paper even of the finest grain (1500 or better) because it creates groves on the rail surface which allow dirt to stick to. Better have a very polished surface

Sorry for all those things you knew probably already
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2023 14:47:42(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: stickers66 Go to Quoted Post
I have a BR24 steam loco that came as part of the 81565 starter set. It's a nice engine, but it likes to get stuck a lot. I know I have to clean my tracks a lot, abut it seems to get stuck in the same areas generally. And it doesn't get stuck in the curves but generally in the straight sections, often right on the power rail itself!

Do some engines have more fussy contact points? There's also the issue of the leading guide wheels on this loco - they are perhaps too small for the curves I make it navigate.

When I run the little 89 loco on this same layout it has no trouble, even running at low speeds. I'm looking at a small diesel such as the 88697 for this layout.

Any suggestions or is this just the world of Z scale?

Jean has given some excellent advice, so I don't have much to add to his comments. I will, however add a couple of thoughts of my own.
  • It can be easy to mistake a mechanical fault for an electrical one. I have had locos which mechanically "jam". Often you can reverse them out of the problem area. Usually the giveaway here is the lighting (if there is any) - if the lights are on, you know it's getting power.
  • Yes, different locomotives behave differently from one another. In fact, different examples of the exact same model can behave very differently
  • Dirt on the back of the wheel (where the wiper tongue makes contact) can cause trouble so be sure to make sure they're clean. I use the micro brushes used for makeup etc. dipped in WD40 contact cleaner. Normally I have the locomotive upside down and apply power from a short length of track to one pair of wheels whilst cleaning the others. This is also a good way of finding out of there is a wheel set that isn't picking up the electricity and that needs special attention.
  • Sometimes there's not enough tension in the wiper to make reliable contact with the wheels. Sometimes this will manifest itself as problems only on left hand or right hand curves or sometime just on straight track. On a loco like yours, removing the wheels to re-tension the wipers and then reassembling everything isn't for the faint-hearted so I would recommend against embarking on this. (My own success has been mixed, but at least one loco has had to go back to Marklin to be properly fixed after I made a mess of it!)

I recently bought an 88697 and it's a lovely locomotive that runs very well indeed. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

Hope these thoughts are of help, good luck!

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2023 22:28:31(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

There are some great suggestions from Jean and Chris. Many time’s erratic or inconsistent operation can be attributed to a need for cleaning. That Br 24 is a great little locomotive which is only held back because it must pull a coal tender. The motor and frame are essentially identical to the Br 74, tank locomotive a long time standard for the z scale starter sets.

I tried to think about something different you could check besides what was mentioned above. Here goes:

When your 24 reaches that spot where it stops, is the movement direction forward? Does it respond if the direction is reversed or must you push it? What happens if you run in reverse thru that spot? Is this problem a new occurrence or has this locomotive always had this issue?

Is the surface of the track undamaged? Is it ballasted track? If it is ballasted, where is the nearest fastening nail? If the nail is pressed in to far, it causes deformation of the two rails and this might not be noticeable unless examined closely. This might be enough to stop a 24 where a 89 will move right thru. The 89 is also a great long time starter set item, because it is simple, relatively heavy and with the short distance between the first wheel set and last wheel set it has exceptional contact with the rails. Comparing the two, the 89 might have an advantage for smooth operation but has a disadvantage because of its small size.

I suggest examining the locomotive to make certain it is ok and not damaged. Is the bottom cover fastened tightly. I had an early 89 which I had never had apart. It would work fine most of the time, but became noisy and a bit inconsistent. I looked it over and discovered one of the copper wheel contacts had twisted out from behind the wheel. Running on the top of the wheel instead of behind, allowed it to operate but not as it should. Perhaps something like this has happened to your locomotive. Fixing this might be a challenge as Chris mentioned. Also, once bent, this part never operates quite right and Marklin might not have a new part available. You would need to find it in the secondary market which is not necessarily impossible.

Hope this helps. A 24 and 89 are excellent locomotives and should not cause you problems. I also like the v100/212 locomotives too. Definitely a favorite of many. You would not be disappointed with this locomotive.

Take good care.

Dwight