Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2023 16:20:31(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey All,

I recently bought a marklin 88731, with the add on car set. While quite the good runner, the cars in between run crooked, instead of a white and red snake, I have a snake with cars sticking out on all sides lol. Has anyone encountered something like this and more importantly, where you able to "fix" it, or is it part of the construction. The Tee has the dogbone connectors. From what I see, it is that the rear motorcar running a tad slower than the front one, thus pulling the cars crooked, but I m not sure. This happens in both directions.

20231030_161334.jpg

Any advice is very welcome!

Best,
Kristof
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2023 22:49:16(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That sure is a nice set you have. We have chatted about the TEE several times here on the forum, but never about this issue. I am sure you have checked your connectors to make certain they are not binding and a moving freely from side to side.

It is possible this tilting is caused by the fact you have two engines and in between all of the wagons. One is pushing when the other is pulling and vice versa.

I have noticed most locomotives have a direction which it travels better than the other. On the older locomotives there is an arrow embossed on the underside of the frame. I don’t know if it is correct, but I always notice, the locomotive travels better in the direction of the arrow.

With the TEE, one motor is spinning in the optimum direction, while the other motor is spinning in a less than optimum direction. A difference in motor speed is created. This causes binding on the attached wagons as the motors are not moving the train exactly equally. The wagons may lean due to this difference, as there is pressure caused by the two engines.

This arrangement seems to have been abandoned on more recent similar models such as the newer ICE sets. There is only one motor on these, placed close to the middle of the wagons. The leaning issue is resolved on these models perhaps at the expense of less pulling power.

Just a thought, others may express some more logical opinions. You might clean your locomotives and lube them, perhaps moving them closer to identical will help. Check your wagons and clear lint from the wheels etc. Otherwise I am not sure what would help this.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2023 11:30:31(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I have encountered this tilting on normal coaches and wagons. I just give them a slight nudge and they sit upright again; as that seemed to be the cure, I did not investigate the issue further. I suspect that there is just a bit too much play in the connection between the bogie and the body; might the same thing be happening with your TEE set?

Carim
Offline Artologic  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2023 21:51:37(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey All,
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope all is well.

That sure is a nice set you have. We have chatted about the TEE several times here on the forum, but never about this issue. I am sure you have checked your connectors to make certain they are not binding and a moving freely from side to side.

It is possible this tilting is caused by the fact you have two engines and in between all of the wagons. One is pushing when the other is pulling and vice versa.

I have noticed most locomotives have a direction which it travels better than the other. On the older locomotives there is an arrow embossed on the underside of the frame. I don’t know if it is correct, but I always notice, the locomotive travels better in the direction of the arrow.

With the TEE, one motor is spinning in the optimum direction, while the other motor is spinning in a less than optimum direction. A difference in motor speed is created. This causes binding on the attached wagons as the motors are not moving the train exactly equally. The wagons may lean due to this difference, as there is pressure caused by the two engines.

This arrangement seems to have been abandoned on more recent similar models such as the newer ICE sets. There is only one motor on these, placed close to the middle of the wagons. The leaning issue is resolved on these models perhaps at the expense of less pulling power.

Just a thought, others may express some more logical opinions. You might clean your locomotives and lube them, perhaps moving them closer to identical will help. Check your wagons and clear lint from the wheels etc. Otherwise I am not sure what would help this.

Take good care.

Dwight

Hey Dwight,

I sure love the set, it s a real beauty. The couplers have been checked they all "go" like they should.

Your idea about the motors has crossed my mind as well, and I did notice it in some cases. Too bad with such sets, is that one motor is always running backwards. I was wondering -since the set has diodes per direction- if it would be a thing to add a small value resistor between the diode and motor, thus delivering a small amount less current to the front motor, while in reverse -due to the diodes- it would still get the normal amount of current.

The two motor idea isn t bad, if you have a good set and it adds to the torque. I can imagine the ice 3 struggling to pull a full prototypical consist with only 1 motorcar?

The set has been cleaned recently and is clean, I think it s good practice to always start there.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have encountered this tilting on normal coaches and wagons. I just give them a slight nudge and they sit upright again; as that seemed to be the cure, I did not investigate the issue further. I suspect that there is just a bit too much play in the connection between the bogie and the body; might the same thing be happening with your TEE set?

Carim

Hey Carim,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the issue with nuding them is them popping out again after exiting the next turn, thus having the same issue all over. The bogie and body thing could be an issue, but I m wondering what a good way to test may be.

Kristof
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Artologic
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2023 22:45:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Kritoff
Märklin has delievered many many units with motors running in parallel (sometimes in series) and for the HUGE majority they run fine.
One possibility is that one of the motors is failing (partly burnt, etc) causing a compression or an elongation of your VT 11.5.
This possibility is far from remote as I had to replace a few Märklin motors in the past
Wouldn't it be far simpler to order a motor and replace the "lazy" one?
I think its reference is 211907
Cheers
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2023 00:42:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Is that for a Z gauge unit?
The item he is having problems with is a Z gauge VT601.
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2023 02:37:26(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Here is a extract of the chart from the “Do it Yourself z Scale website, concerning 3 to 5 pole motors, ref 88731:

UserPostedImage

Column 1 is model number, 2 is 3 pole motor number, 3 is five pole motor number.

Shows motor for this is 211903. I believe some have had unusual experiences with this motor.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2023 13:17:51(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
It also happens with the ICE, but a bit left & right from what I have noticed over the years. My solution is to look at the train from the side!
ICE.mov (2,462kb) downloaded 149 time(s).

Failing that, sweeping curves everywhere, it looks better anyway, including in stations.

P.S. Solder a bit of wire across the diodes (or replace), so each engine is powered directly from the track. As long as you don't have short dead sections of track for block sections etc.
60221.jpg
Offline Artologic  
#9 Posted : 23 December 2023 19:13:24(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kritoff
Märklin has delievered many many units with motors running in parallel (sometimes in series) and for the HUGE majority they run fine.
One possibility is that one of the motors is failing (partly burnt, etc) causing a compression or an elongation of your VT 11.5.
This possibility is far from remote as I had to replace a few Märklin motors in the past
Wouldn't it be far simpler to order a motor and replace the "lazy" one?
Cheers
Jean

Hey Jean & Alan,

The motor he is recommending indeed is z scale. Only thing is my vt11.5 has 2 3 pole motors, making a tad expensive to replace both. It is running fine, just crooked. It s like Dwight said, the motors run a bit faster in forward, then backwards direction, whichever direction this might be. And the rear one is always running backwards, thus a tad slower. Doesn t cause operation issues, just the crooked running. Thanks for suggesting anyway!

Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope all is well.

Here is a extract of the chart from the “Do it Yourself z Scale website, concerning 3 to 5 pole motors, ref 88731:

UserPostedImage

Column 1 is model number, 2 is 3 pole motor number, 3 is five pole motor number.

Shows motor for this is 211903. I believe some have had unusual experiences with this motor.

Take good care.

Dwight

Hey Dwight,

Is it that good of a runner or is it a bad experience you had?
Thanks for sharing the list, that website is a small goldmine!

Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
It also happens with the ICE, but a bit left & right from what I have noticed over the years. My solution is to look at the train from the side!
ICE.mov (2,462kb) downloaded 149 time(s).

Failing that, sweeping curves everywhere, it looks better anyway, including in stations.

P.S. Solder a bit of wire across the diodes (or replace), so each engine is powered directly from the track. As long as you don't have short dead sections of track for block sections etc.
60221.jpg

I think your ice is in the base the same construction, so it wouldn t be odd to experience the same issues. Looking from the side is indeed an option, it s what I mostly do.
The diodes trick is a good one, but I m planning to use blocks on the layout I m going to build, so if both units pick up power, I ll have issues with that. I could still temperory bridge them to see if the running is any different, and move forward from there.

Everyone, thanks for the help, have some great holidays!
Best Kristof
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 23 December 2023 23:30:16(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

If you are referring to the 211903 motor, some have experienced times when the motor surged picking up speed without a change at the controller. I have had these installed in a freshly cleaned and lubed loco and the motor run hot for no reason. I have noticed when trying to start to run in one direction there is no response, but if the direction is switched to the other, it moves. I know all of these issues could be explained as over oiling, or excessive bogie resistance or broken or worn parts.

It is one of the most common 5 pole motors used for Z. I noticed the commutator on the new motor, instead of copper it is a solid steel looking surface. I don’t know if this causes issues, or if it is a budget decision which reduces manufacturer costs. Perhaps these old engines would all be this way, but were replaced by the core-less. They were, like many, sourced out of country and I believe quality may have varied a bit.

I think all in all, 211903 is comparable to any other motor and could possibly be a solution for you. Unfortunately they are now in short supply and those that have any, are asking premium prices (like most everyone now).

I see one currently on eBay going for $99.00, where previously they were about $35.00. Stock at most hobby supply businesses has been depleted so they are not a source.

Hopefully you can keep your two three pole motors going. Don’t over oil and change the brushes from time to time. I polish my commutators and occasionally use a bit stiffer material to ensure the surface is even and smooth. The big box hardware seller carry a 2000 grit material which is foam backed, and I just cut it into small strips looping it around the commutator. A couple of spins on the shaft and it polished up real nice. A bit of air will blow off any remnants. I have seen some put the shaft on a drill and give it a few spins, but that might take off more than needed. (Makes me nervous to do it this way).

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to you and everyone.

Take good care.

Dwight

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Artologic  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2024 12:38:12(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
First of all, best wishes for the new year!

I have had some motors like that too, but they weren t that type, but also the "steel" ones, it s very confusing.

I think I ll let the train be like it is right now, the costs are high, but I have the impression, that except for the looks nothing will come from it (like really increased wear), if it ever breaks done, I still can decide what to do with it.

The 2 3 pole motors are quite good runners, they even can handle a modest crawl, which is great. Lucky for me I have some to spare of those too. I don t give to much oil, it really isn t that good for the motors. If it goops up, I clean them too, wouldn t want a burned out motor. For cleaning I just put the motor into washing benzeen (still haven t found the real english word), let it run a bit, clean off the brushes (and replace when nessasary), a fresh drop of oil and the motor is good to go. Maybe it s something you can try instead of 2000 grit? Just make sure to let the motor dry out well before oiling and to clean the gaps in de commutator.

Thanks!
Kristof
Offline Zme  
#12 Posted : 12 January 2024 17:22:44(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well. Happy New Year to you and everyone. I am not certain I recognize any of my motors as the steel type. Are those the older ones?

Thanks for the tip, but I am a bit timid about using a material which may ignite or is actually designed to do so. I can see where this is actually a good solution for some as I have read about it being used here on the z forum often. I think I even reported about the Loc Doctor using lighter fluid to fix your locomotive while you wait at many of the meets organized around Germany. ( I wonder if he still does this). This would be amazing to watch. This brings to mind the cleaning liquid (SR 24) being used in a flat tray container with the track connected and immersed in it. In the liquid, the locomotives come clean just running forward and reverse a few times. I just haven’t decided on that one yet either.

It only takes a few spins on the motor to clean and smooth it. I don’t do this all the time, but I think it helps, without causing excessive wear.

When it comes to cleaning there are numerous solutions. I think the risky total breakdown with the parts being put into sonic cleaner is a good one, but not for the motor. I say risky because one never knows when a part will go missing. I understand cleaning the motor is suggested as long as the liquid is dried before use. I just don’t know about this for our small motors.

Thank you again, I appreciate you.

Take good care in this New Year!

Dwight

Offline Artologic  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2024 18:50:45(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
I think the steel ones are the more recent ones. They also don t all suffer from the issue. But if I have the issue, it s almost always with those ones.

I understand you concern, but I have never heard of it combusting in said use. I don t even think it s real benzeen, but why it is called that way... I don t think lok doc lights it hahaha, but sometimes one would be surprised how well some products work. Still watch out for a lot of products and the effect on plastic. I have heard that sr24 solution as well, but I prefer the atf methode (every 10m of track gets a small 5 cm area with sparingly attached atf, it works like a charm, just don t overdo it, since it will get slippery).

If it works for you, that s of course great, but that s one thing I m really reluctant for. I m afraid of overdoing it.

One would think there are more solutions then issues hahaha. A sonic cleaner should be great, but I haven t tried it yet. In z you loose parts too quickly... Motor size shouldn t matter though.

Thanks you, but same on my side, thanks for sharing your opionions and tips!

Have a great year!
Kristof