Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul59  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2023 12:24:13(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hello all,

I have recently been going through my pile of bits and pieces putting various bits together into workable locos for use on analogue.

I've got a few bits from the 60760 digital conversion kits and I noticed that the armatures from these kits are green coloured on the outer edge of the pole pieces.
Looking at the insides of Marklin digital locos (mainly 37xxx range) the five pole armatures are coloured black on the pole pieces.

Is there any difference between these armatures? For example the number of turns in the windings, resistance etc.?
Are the green ones wound so as to be optimal for the 60760 decoder or is it simply that Marklin changed the colour.?

I am enjoying making useful locos out of assorted parts that have been laying around - it's quite satisfying.
Thanks, Paul

Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2023 13:18:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Paul59 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I have recently been going through my pile of bits and pieces putting various bits together into workable locos for use on analogue.

I've got a few bits from the 60760 digital conversion kits and I noticed that the armatures from these kits are green coloured on the outer edge of the pole pieces.
Looking at the insides of Marklin digital locos (mainly 37xxx range) the five pole armatures are coloured black on the pole pieces.

Is there any difference between these armatures? For example the number of turns in the windings, resistance etc.?
Are the green ones wound so as to be optimal for the 60760 decoder or is it simply that Marklin changed the colour.?

I am enjoying making useful locos out of assorted parts that have been laying around - it's quite satisfying.
Thanks, Paul

If you have converted some 35xx series locos then the armatures from those are not suitable for use with digital decoders, they draw too much current. I don't know off hand what colour they were, but green sounds familiar, as a way of identifying them.

Offline Paul59  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2023 14:19:18(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

If you have converted some 35xx series locos then the armatures from those are not suitable for use with digital decoders, they draw too much current. I don't know off hand what colour they were, but green sounds familiar, as a way of identifying them.

A useful bit of information there Alan, thank you - I have never had any 35xx locos so none of my armatures will have originated from them - interesting though. If/when I do get one I'll have a look.

The ones with the 60760 decoders are definately green so I wonder if they are higher current as well. I'll have to do some tests.
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2023 14:54:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The 35xxx are 5 star and the same 5 pole armature as any other, except the Faulhaber motors, which are can. There were analog and digital 5 stars. When my expert dealer who also had serviced TV and hifi upgraded my br 120 5 star to digital, he didn't change the armature. It's fine. It has a 6091 decoder, I believe.
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2023 15:01:56(UTC)
bph

Norway   
the armature from 60760 and 60901 etc are green, but in later 60941 they are black.
The spare part number is the same 386820 and when you google it you will get green and black results.
However, it's reported that the black ones have a slightly thicker collector drum diameter of 4,9mm vs 4,4mm on the green ones
have used both colours with the msd3 and have not noticed any difference, but I have not compared directly.
armatures from 35xx (610030) series are bigger and also green if I remember correctly.

Edited by user 21 October 2023 23:58:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2023 15:05:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Does that have anything to do with current draw?
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2023 15:24:47(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Does that have anything to do with current draw?

I have no idea, but it might?, as the contact area is probably also different.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline Paul59  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2023 16:32:00(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
the armature from 60760 and 60901 etc are green, but in later 60941 they are black.
The spare part number is the same 386820 and when you google it you will get green and black results.
However, it's reported that the black ones have a slightly thicker collector drum diameter of 4,9mm vs 4,4mm on the green ones
have used both colours with the msd3 and have not noticed any difference, but I have not compared directly.
armatures from 35xx (610030) series are smaller and also green if I remember correctly.

Good information there BPH. Thank you. So it looks like they are the same electrically but at some point the colour changed and also possibly the commutator diameter increased.

I've got one of each so l just had a measure.
The green one was indeed 4.4mm diameter and the black one was 4.85mm.
I also measured the resistance between segments on the comutators and there didn't seem to be any appreciable difference between the two armatures.

So looks like the tiny increase in the diameter of the comutator is the only difference.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline mvd71  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2023 22:32:18(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
There are two types of five pole armature from the DCM motor.

1. the 5 pole from the 35** series of analogue locos. These can only be used with the old AC field magnet and a decoder like the 60906. the outer diameter of these armatures is larger than the units designed for use in digital, hence the inability to use them with the later magnet.

2. the 5 pole DCM Armatur from the 60901/60941/60760 etc…. kits. These are smaller outside diameter than the armatures that are supplied in the old analogue 35** kits. They are used with the permanent magnet replacements for the old field coils and normally come in a kit unless specifically ordered as a spare.

I have used the old 35** „analogue“ motors with the new 60906 decoder and the results are acceptable for me. Obviously the newer design motor and decoder kits have some advantages, but if you are looking for the satisfaction of recycling older parts rather than discarding, then I would say it is thoroughly worthwhile.

Cheers…..

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Paul59  
#10 Posted : 21 October 2023 23:42:27(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
There are two types of five pole armature from the DCM motor.

1. the 5 pole from the 35** series of analogue locos. These can only be used with the old AC field magnet and a decoder like the 60906. the outer diameter of these armatures is larger than the units designed for use in digital, hence the inability to use them with the later magnet.

2. the 5 pole DCM Armatur from the 60901/60941/60760 etc…. kits. These are smaller outside diameter than the armatures that are supplied in the old analogue 35** kits. They are used with the permanent magnet replacements for the old field coils and normally come in a kit unless specifically ordered as a spare.

I have used the old 35** „analogue“ motors with the new 60906 decoder and the results are acceptable for me. Obviously the newer design motor and decoder kits have some advantages, but if you are looking for the satisfaction of recycling older parts rather than discarding, then I would say it is thoroughly worthwhile.

Cheers…..

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's interesting to know. As I say I haven't had any parts from the 35xx series yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I had heard that one type had a larger outside diameter but I didn't know which one it was.

So far the only ones I've got are the green and black ones from original digital Marklin locos (black) or from the 60760 kits (green) and it appears that the only difference between those is the very small difference in the diameter of the commutator. Those ones appear to be interchangeable since they both have the same part number. I guess they made the commutator a tiny bit bigger (0.45mm) to tighten up tolerances with the brushes in the motor - just my guess.

I've yet to acquire a 5 star propulsion analogue loco but it's an interesting concept. If I do get one or parts from one I'll bear in mind what you say about the size. I assume they are the same diameter as the three pole ones in order to fit in with the AC field magnet.

Cheers, Paul

Offline mvd71  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2023 04:03:13(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Paul,

Yes they are the same OD as the three pole analogue units. These are the motors that draw slightly higher current. Although that makes sense because you have to power both the armature and the field magnet.

In terms of the other 5 pole units from kits, they are totally interchangeable regardless of colour.

Cheers….

Mike
Offline amartinezv  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2023 10:28:13(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hi all,
As far as I know, it seems that the 5 pole rotors for digital ( 6090 and 60901 sets) came marked with blue varnish until 2003, from 2003 onwards, the varnish was black, and when the 60760 kits came out these came with green varnish.
greetings to all
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline bph  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2023 13:02:31(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,
As far as I know, it seems that the 5 pole rotors for digital ( 6090 and 60901 sets) came marked with blue varnish until 2003, from 2003 onwards, the varnish was black, and when the 60760 kits came out these came with green varnish.
greetings to all

hi
I have some 6090 and 60901 and they all have green armatures. (60901 was launched in 1997).
I recently replaced the permanent magnet of a 6090 and the armature was green. (the magnet had started to disintegrate, a known issue)
The recent 60941 I bought is black and I believe the latest locomotives with that motor also have black armatures.
However, some very early armatures were indeed blue. but in the 1991 catalogue (my paper copy), it seems like the 6090 armature is green but it's a bit hard to tell. (6090 marked as new in1991)

But could there have been a batch of some black ones earlier also? eg around 2003?

I measured the collector drum one a green one to approx 4,36, and a black one to approx 4,87, and the green 35xx (610030) to approx 4,26mm. (the black one from a recent 60941)
and the later black one has slightly larger contact areas on the collector drum vs the green

Interesting discoveries, I'm tempted to use one green and one black armature in two BR52's that I plan to upgrade with msd3.
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 22 October 2023 14:00:31(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Question; Could the older 35xx armatures be used with the older HAMO field-magnets, -or any other permanent field-magnet used to convert 3-pole AC motors to DC?
-Or am I asuming too much thinking that the 5-pole armature of the 35xx has the same meassurements as the old 3-pole anker?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 22 October 2023 15:04:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, I have done it. You just have to test fit the gear on the armature to make sure it turns freely, and doesn't bind or have to be forced to turn. I bought one 5 pole armature, and have swapped it from a few different Locos. It fits the SBB Re460 Hamo, DB br 111, and br 120. My br 120 is a/c Delta with a field coil, and it also works in it. I have only one other Hamo, an SBB Croc, which I have not tried. It draws a bit more current with DC, but runs much faster.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline bph  
#16 Posted : 22 October 2023 15:24:05(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Question; Could the older 35xx armatures be used with the older HAMO field-magnets, -or any other permanent field-magnet used to convert 3-pole AC motors to DC?
-Or am I asuming too much thinking that the 5-pole armature of the 35xx has the same meassurements as the old 3-pole anker?

you can also use ESU 51962 according to this site:https://modellbahn.mahrer.net/technisches/motoren_maerklin_hag/
I have also swapped out 3-pole armatures with the 5-pole armature of the 35xx. hoverver note that the collector drum on the 3 pole is slightly thicker than the 5-pole armature. approx 4,9mm vs approx 4,26mm
note that the winding resistance is weaker in the 5-pole armature from the 35xx vs the armature from 30941 etc. So if you use a 5-pole armature from the 35xx with a delta or 60906 decoder the top speed is "extreme".
Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 23 October 2023 07:49:10(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Thanks guys; I am specifically looking for 5-pole armatures for AC field-coil motors. (NOT permanent magnets)
I run my engines analogue, and want to improve slow-running characteristics "cheap and easy".
Particularly I am looking for higher torque at low tension, and definitely NOT higher speeds... Crying
I am looking for shortcuts, rather than having to digitalize old analogue and Delta locos for improved analogue running. Seems kind of wasteful...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline mvd71  
#18 Posted : 23 October 2023 08:51:38(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Thanks guys; I am specifically looking for 5-pole armatures for AC field-coil motors. (NOT permanent magnets)
I run my engines analogue, and want to improve slow-running characteristics "cheap and easy".
Particularly I am looking for higher torque at low tension, and definitely NOT higher speeds... Crying
I am looking for shortcuts, rather than having to upgrade old analogue and Delta locos for analogue running. Seems like kind of wasteful...

Mäarklin part number is 610030.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/...klin+610030&_sacat=0

Cheers….

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline bph  
#19 Posted : 23 October 2023 14:16:51(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
I am looking for shortcuts, rather than having to upgrade old analogue and Delta locos for analogue running. Seems like kind of wasteful...

Mäarklin part number is 610030.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/...klin+610030&_sacat=0

Cheers….

Mike

Just replacing the 3-pole armature with a 610030 will increase the speed at all speed levels.
in order to take advantage of the 5 pole armature in analogue, you will also need the "controller" that comes in the 7180 sets.
Offline mvd71  
#20 Posted : 24 October 2023 08:26:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I have set up using a 60906 decoder, it works well with top speed reduced to something reasonable.

In analogue it may be a bit different
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71