Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2023 13:02:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I bought a 3 car FS freight set in 2021. Two sliding wall and one sliding tarp wagon. One axle has a wheel with a ground flat flange. It rolls, but you feel the drag and out of round spot. Outer box says Hungary.I just noticed yesterday.
Second is my 36182 mrce Vectron I bought in 2020. Twice the shaft on the bogie without traction tires has fallen out. It was actually not connected new out of the box. I was able to get it back in, so didn't have to return it. I ordered a torx driver set to remove the decoder board screws so the motor can be raised.
I realize that it is a basic model at a budget price of $290 but still! My newer Gruen Vectron has a completely different buildup and die cast frame.
Anyone else have any quality issues lately? I can't imagine a person missing a defective wheel upon assembling a model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2023 13:40:30(UTC)
H0

Earlier this month my first Märklin G 2000 bb loco arrived. It has a gear problem and runs really bad. Will have to go back to Märklin.
The locos make their test runs in a noisy factory room while nobody is watching, so if the loco runs the test - no matter how much noise and stuttering there will be - it will end up in the box.

A fellow club member has the Churchill-Pfeil from Märklin. Lights only work in one half of the train, so it will go back to Märklin.
Another club member brought his CS3 to the club meeting. Screen went black after about 10 minutes.

Re your cars:
AIUI all metal parts are made in Göppingen. But wheel production runs almost fully automatic. And the cars were assembled in Hungary and nobody noticed the defect.

You're not the only one with defective Märklin items.

I have the Thalys from Märklin. Cardan shafts are maybe too short - when the train derails, the cardan shaft will sometimes fall out. There are 4 cardan shafts in the train. Train once was replaced under warranty, but issue remains.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2023 13:53:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
All unacceptable, and contrary to "M" Quality and status quo. I think Simba Dickie has the resources to do better. I know things have been tough since covid, and in other industries also, but some corporate leaders seem blind to changes made that while save the bottom lines, have made it very hard for their employees out in the field and factories.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2023 14:08:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
its another dollar for the company, quality doesn't come into it

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2023 14:43:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
its another dollar for the company, quality doesn't come into it
That does not work in the long run.
Recently most of my MRR budget went to Piko. I had too many disappointments with locos from Märklin and Roco in the past years.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2023 15:24:36(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Same as a guy in Germany I know. Potatosmodelbahn.
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2023 16:50:58(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I’m at the point where if I purchase something totally new, it’s usually the annual Museumswagen and Insiderwagen, with very few exceptions. I figure there are plenty of items I passed by when getting back into the hobby about thirty years ago that can be found at reasonable prices and, with a little cleaning and maybe a new decoder, run just as well — if not better — than some of the newer items coming out today.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 17 October 2023 17:11:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Never had a problem with Marklin however Piko and LS models have been poor. One Piko Loco went back for a refund and another although one of the cheaper efforts needed some work to get it going. LS coach which cost a lot as it was wired up with a slider and lighting for use on Marklin track only worled for a few minutes when the slider fell off then the wring came loose and it also had problems going over turnouts. Piko coaches a hit and miss for running qualities even with change of wheels.
Probably just luck although I know MSL did test Marklin locos before despatch but may not do so now.Looking at the current cost of model rail locos and coaches we really do need much better.
Maybe less fancy decoders with sound and details that is never seen could be replaced by quality control and better manufacturing.
I never pre order locos but wait to see how they run with other users and ask at times on here if there have been any problems before buying which so far has worked well and not had any faults.
No matter what you buy these days from washing machines to cars you live in hope it will work

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline patnaik  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2023 02:50:10(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Earlier this month my first Märklin G 2000 bb loco arrived. It has a gear problem and runs really bad. Will have to go back to Märklin.
The locos make their test runs in a noisy factory room while nobody is watching, so if the loco runs the test - no matter how much noise and stuttering there will be - it will end up in the box.

I too picked up a new G 2000. It too has a gearbox problem where it stutters once every revolution of the wheel. I sent it back to the dealer for repair.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by patnaik
Offline patnaik  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2023 21:18:55(UTC)
patnaik

United States   
Originally Posted by: patnaik Go to Quoted Post

I too picked up a new G 2000. It too has a gearbox problem where it stutters once every revolution of the wheel. I sent it back to the dealer for repair.

Just heard from the dealer. There is a split gear on one of the axles; he has ordered a new bogie and will fix it under warranty. Apparently this is not an unusual problem.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by patnaik
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 19 October 2023 23:49:57(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Like you, sometimes I am mad because of failing Märklin items but when comparing with older models many things come to mind:
- very old model were totally metal (ST800, DL800, G800, CCS800) but very robust and quite expensive (100 to 150 DM which were WAY WAY more than 100 or 150€ today) even though manufactured by low-pay people
- new models are extremely fine (compare a RM 800 with a 3003 or a nowadays 36246, same BR24, entry model but what a progress!) and especially the distribution and rod systems. So they are more fragile
- the inside intelligence is totally different today as in the old days I have a Turmtriebwagen (catenary maintenance vehicle) very compact and with sound, MFX, FOUR motors and two different decoders. So this added compexity is fragile
- the workforce used to produce these products at a competitive price cannot be German anymore, so it is replaced with automation or with foreign production (Hungary and elsewhere so the result is less verification.
- consider the huge price cascade between a german competitive market price (a deluxe Steamer is often approx 500€ of which less than 300€ are for Märklin
- at long distance export (Australia, USA, etc) the additional and custom duties adds up to the long shipment which augment the risk of failure when arriving.

So, don't get me wrong, I am not happy to pay a nice loco 500 or 600€ from a competitive German retailer but the question is: is the competition really better ? I think not.
Am I happy when one of my beauties fail? Certainly not!
From a different angle, this year, I had to send back 2 Insider models to Germany (Failed motor, failed decoder) but this was free of charge to me because less than 5 years old.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2023 07:49:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
So, don't get me wrong, I am not happy to pay a nice loco 500 or 600€ from a competitive German retailer but the question is: is the competition really better ? I think not.
I have sent one Roco loco back to the dealer to get gear problems fixed. I have sent one Piko loco back.
I have sent all my Märklin locos with a compact C-Sine motor back for the upgrade.
Plus several locos with decoder failures or decoder problems, one with missing handrails, one with missing couplers, plus other sorts of errors.

Is the competition doing better? I think definitely YES.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mvd71  
#13 Posted : 20 October 2023 08:26:06(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I think David summed it up, a little less of the gadgets and gimmicks, and little more quality!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 20 October 2023 14:37:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
I think David summed it up, a little less of the gadgets and gimmicks, and little more quality!

Yep as I said quality should come first first. We don’t need a lot of detail which if under a coach etc nobody can see.
Probably four or five sounds are enough and all should be checked by a selling dealer before selling. There are dealers who just pick up a box and post it. Years ago we had a dealer in Scotland who checked every loco before despatch with the result customers had a model that worked out the box
The old Hag models I bought were great and the motor etc was easy to see with little wiring and a decent decoder.
I don’t want a model with lots of detail many of which just fall off but want a loco that runs well and will do for years.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline jcrtrains  
#15 Posted : 20 October 2023 15:37:45(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
You have been a member since:: 31/10/2009(UTC)
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Yep as I said quality should come first first. We don’t need a lot of detail which if under a coach etc nobody can see.
Probably four or five sounds are enough and all should be checked by a selling dealer before selling. There are dealers who just pick up a box and post it. Years ago we had a dealer in Scotland who checked every loco before despatch with the result customers had a model that worked out the box
The old Hag models I bought were great and the motor etc was easy to see with little wiring and a decent decoder.
I don’t want a model with lots of detail many of which just fall off but want a loco that runs well and will do for years.

I bet the dealer was MacKay models. I used to use them quite a bit - certainly a big loss when the closed.

Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 20 October 2023 21:17:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post

I bet the dealer was MacKay models. I used to use them quite a bit - certainly a big loss when the closed.

It was indeed MacKay models. Mr MacKay died and without him the business just could not continue. It was a shame as it was a well stocked shop and they were the Lenz disrtributors for the UK. Mrs MacKay lives fairly close to me and keeps well.

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 20 October 2023 23:40:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I can't help but chime in here:

- Like a new car, you shouldn't have any trouble with your new Marklin

- Also like a new car, the level of electronics, bells and whistles involved mean the odds favor the fact you are going to have some issue. Knowing this, I actually give Marklin some credit for quality control.

- The problem goes back to my car analogy: service and aftersales. My car can go to the local dealer and it is fixed near instantly on warranty. With marklin there are extra layers, most notably highlighted by the fact many of us do not run that locomotive every day like the new car, so problems may not be obvious early on. And our dealers are rarely set up to fix much of anything on the spot - no parts, factory training etc...

There is one very obvious fix for this: dealer/retailer inspection and testing before shipment.

I have begun asking for it on everything new I buy. (which lately has not been Marklin, no good reason for that though) I can tell some some dealers have not done so, and others have gone as far as to put a note in the parcel to the effect of "tested and all ok". Thankfully no issues in a few years though...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mvd71  
#18 Posted : 21 October 2023 10:19:55(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Blushing
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post

It was indeed MacKay models. Mr MacKay died and without him the business just could not continue. It was a shame as it was a well stocked shop and they were the Lenz disrtributors for the UK. Mrs MacKay lives fairly close to me and keeps well.

I thought Mr MacKay was a prison warden! Blushing
Offline marklinist5999  
#19 Posted : 21 October 2023 15:03:31(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
In defense of nice detail on car/coach bottoms, interiors, etc., is what makes them models and less toylike.
Offline mvd71  
#20 Posted : 21 October 2023 22:36:34(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
In defense of nice detail on car/coach bottoms, interiors, etc., is what makes them models and less toylike.

That is true, but I think it’s the pursuit of detail at the expensive of reliability that is the problem.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Wes350  
#21 Posted : 24 October 2023 01:10:19(UTC)
Wes350

United States   
That does not work in the long run.
Recently most of my MRR budget went to Piko. I had too many disappointments with locos from Märklin and Roco in the past years.

Never had a problem with Marklin however Piko and LS models have been poor. ...

The consumer can't be blamed for having their point of view, and altering their buying accordingly.

Yet as can be seen; If you make enough product, everyone turns out a turkey.

Hi
So this added compexity is fragile
- the workforce used to produce these products at a competitive price cannot be German anymore, so it is replaced with automation or with foreign production (Hungary and elsewhere so the result is less verification.

I would not lump EU production (Hungary) in the same bucket as 'elsewhere' (China, Vietnam etc,...)

At least in Hungary they can duplicate their factory set-up with the exact same machinery, same processes, even the exact same grade of raw materials used: i.e. Plastics/Electronic components.

Ideally in such a set-up, is is a matter of maintaining procedures.

Dealing with a vendor or partners halfway around the globe you get more potential variables...

Is the machinery the same? Are the plastic grades and various electronic components the same? Are you sure your vendors will not change the composition of said components without telling you? (Seen it happen).

And who then do you have managing production over there? One of your people? Someone else that you choose to 'trust'?

In theory the product should be no different, but many have found with practical experience that you need to be more on the ball when dealing with production facilities one has to take a long plane ride to, vs one that you can drive to in a couple of hours.

Here's one of the real issues in the hobby as well:

Hi
So this added compexity is fragile

That is true, but I think it’s the pursuit of detail at the expensive of reliability that is the problem.

How much 'less toylike' do they really need to be?

Is the product that Marklin released in the 80's now considered 'toylike' by today's standards?

Or has it all become a self-reinforcing loop; that as technology has gotten better, the hobbyist have demanded ever increasing detail, shifting expectations? (Which also drives costs...)

Who out there actually uses all 24 functions on their locs on a regular basis?

Or has it all become a costly prestige game of one-upmanship? Doing things just because they can, without stopping to think if they even should?

In my opinion; advancing technology is all well and good, but it must be balanced with a strong sense of practicality as well.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wes350
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 24 October 2023 07:43:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Wes350 Go to Quoted Post
And who then do you have managing production over there? One of your people? Someone else that you choose to 'trust'?
That is an important aspect.
Roco have their own factory in Vietnam.

Märklin work with Chinese subcontractors and what I heard in the past they did non have a supervisor in China all the time, leading to huge differences in quality.

Never had a problem with Marklin however Piko and LS models have been poor. One Piko Loco went back for a refund and another although one of the cheaper efforts needed some work to get it going.
Was it that Piko Hobby loco you bought about 20 years ago: Basic details, no traction tyres, no load regulation in the decoder?

One cannot compare a Märklin Start-Up loco worth €50 with a Märklin steamer for €500. Expectations will be higher if price is higher.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 24 October 2023 13:53:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The Chinese are not the substandard manufacturers they were three decades ago. They can in most plants do and usewhatever materials, and specifications that are asked and paid enough for.
Offline David Dewar  
#24 Posted : 24 October 2023 14:27:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My PIko was bought recently and cost about 170 euros. Wires were loose but the loco did work when fixed. Another was just dead and returned. Price does not matter costing 50 or 500 it should still work as advertised and be fit for purpose.
Brawa appear to be fine as the ones I have bought were good although small detail parts do seem to fall off on the layout.
Not sure anything can be reliable to work these days as manufacturers cut costs to increase profits.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Wes350  
#25 Posted : 25 October 2023 01:07:56(UTC)
Wes350

United States   
The Chinese are not the substandard manufacturers they were three decades ago. They can in most plants do and use whatever materials, and specifications that are asked and paid enough for.

I was not talking about three decades ago.

These are all know issues and problems I have witnessed, and been personally privy to in my current work experience.

Having your manufacturing halfway around the world in countries with different languages and customs will always come with issues that need to be accounted for.

Companies still choosing to 'decouple' from China in recent years is not just about the long supply chain.

In fairness; it also depends on what you are making. For some products, some of those issues are just not that big of a deal, or are non-existent entirely.

That is an important aspect.
Roco have their own factory in Vietnam.

Märklin work with Chinese subcontractors and what I heard in the past they did not have a supervisor in China all the time, leading to huge differences in quality.

Owning the factory, and being directly run by them is a plus in Roco's favor.

Marklin - well that's just what happens when your people are not there. And is it just me, or have they always been fuzzy on the details when it comes to their manufacturing outside of Germany and Hungary?

Not sure anything can be reliable to work these days as manufacturers cut costs to increase profits.

That's an issue when you are continually trying to drive down labor costs. The impact of labor turnover, and having to constantly re-train workers is one that's never thought through all that well by those just looking at the bottom line.

Penny wise, Pound foolish I believe it used to be called...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wes350