Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zeeboo04  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2023 22:06:47(UTC)
Zeeboo04

Hello I hope someone can help me here. I just purchased a new Railjet passenger car set from Roco. Roco 74042 - 3 piece set: Railjet, ÖBB. I see on Ajckids web page that they are AC 3-Rail for Marklin and fully digital. I have never used brands other then Marklin so I am completely lost as to how I will get these to work with my Marklin Railjet engine on my CS3 setup. First, how do I connect them via a coupler to my Marklin engine? Do I need to replace the coupler on my Marklin engine to match the current conducting coupler on the Roco car...or vice versa? Also, I cant seem to figure out how I will control all of the digital lights on the cars. Will they work once its connected to the engine? The only instructions that came with the set was a small piece of paper that explained how to oil and install the extra details on each car. PS- I dont have any digital passenger cars on my set yet so I'm a newb in this category.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zeeboo04
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2023 22:36:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, you need to match the coupler, but this set has no control cab car nor decoder. If your Marklin locomotive had a switchable digial coupler, it can turn the lighting on and off, but matching the couplers, I don't know if you can. The Marklin type is not a multi pin type like the rail jets have. If you can find a matching Roco ac cab car with a decoder, you could use any locomotive.
Offline Zeeboo04  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2023 01:33:48(UTC)
Zeeboo04

Man that sucks. I should have read more about it before purchasing. I was thinking I could just swap the conductive couplers on either the bogie or the engine and they would play nice together. Just did a search and they dont sell a control cab only railjet car. Maybe I should try and return it. Thanks for your help.
Offline Zeeboo04  
#4 Posted : 02 October 2023 17:51:05(UTC)
Zeeboo04

So it would seem the only route to take...at least with the least amount of surgery/wiring/headaches and extra parts needed, is to return this set and exchange it for one with a control cab car. Its a bit more expensive but I rather do it right and before it becomes "out of stock" for good. Thanks again for all the input.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2023 19:29:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know whether the Railjet requires a special coupler on the end of the train (locomotive side). I think that the AC version likely draws power from the pilot coach.
The 74039 Set contains both the pilot coach and the coach that couples to the locomotive, so this is the one if you want to run a shortened train.
Check with Guy at AJCKids to see if they will take the set back and find you the one with the pilot and end coaches.

If you are willing to check it out, the Roco Taurus with Digital sound is a very nice model.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c