Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Garoux  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2023 12:36:06(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Hello.
Some months after my first experiences of Marklin products. I decided to buy a turntable 74860.
I was very careful to build the cradle. (level, power supply, etc.).
From the CS3,I ran a search for mfx articles following the notice instructions.
The result was several Right switches corresponding at each function of the turntable. But the bridge never turn.
I returned the turntable to the seller which ship the turntable to Marklin.
I received the turntable and I started the installation again.
But there is no change. The seller told me that all was OK at his workshop
Do some one know how to process for a casual use?
Alain

Edited by user 26 September 2023 09:47:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline gamolina  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2023 17:34:38(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello Alain! have you "initialised" it? Also the connections for tracks and free spaces you must take in account. See this Märklin video

Offline Garoux  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2023 09:44:54(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Of course I saw all these video several times.and I contacted some forum members across Internet.
But when I am in front of my CS3 it is different.
Sometimes I Cant Initialize (no screen for it)
Sometimes I succed in initialization but the Turntable does not turn.
It seems to me that the decoder cant drive no more the motor.
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2023 11:15:11(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Unfortunately, this product from Marklin was an absolute "Dog". I bought one, returned it for service 3 times and finally I gave up and waited for the second version. Bought that and only had to send it back once before it worked. My suggestion is that you try and ask for an exchange for the second version.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2023 13:49:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Alain

Disclaimer: I don't have this truntable (rather a 7286 with a DSD2010 set of 2 decoders, with sound and 4 signals). I have a CS3 (60226).

Here is my 7286 TT in 100% automatic operation, using Rocrail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgCvLKjq8I

Back to your TT
One possibility is to start from zero the electronic installation (not the mechanical one):
- verify that the latch is not engaged? (Can you ratate the TT by gently turning it by hand? NO BRUTE FORCE.
- the 74862 being an MFX, DCC and MM2 unit, IMO it is best to operate it from MFX. Are you using MFX?
- chances are you unit is already registered as MFX. IS it not? In that case select the MOFIFIER tab and then select CHERCHER ARTICLE MFX
As you know there is a German video about the whole installation process here

- 0:40 into the video, this is about searching the MFX item (CHERCHER ARTICLE MFX) and then to select the address range (normally 225 but you may pick another address
- 1:33 into the video, the MFX registration is finished (But NOT the TT initialisation)
- 4:12 into the video, the TT initialisation can start (the TT will rotate from its present track (assumed to be track 1) and will take note of all places where an access track is installed
- 6:20 into the video, the initialisation is finished and the CS3 now shows where the access tracks are identified.

You know all this so now, what can go wrong?
- the TT is not MFX recognized: Select CHERCHER ARTICLE MFX
- the TT is already registered by the CS3. Can you rerun the initialisation like in the video above (4:12 into it)?
- the decoder is it KAPUTT? can it register in MFX, can it be initialized by selecting the CV and writing 8 into the CV 8?)
- are other fonctions working (sound, light, etc) ?
- can you UNLOCK the TT (command the servo motor which lock / unlock the TT See page 19 "Déverrouillage/Verrouillage de la plate-forme"?

Here is the user's manual of the 74862 https://static.maerklin....09dc6f30c31686554821.pdf

So there are many questions, sorry for this.

Other issues that may happen is the detection small pieces may jam the TT if they become loose.
The TT has a mechanical drive based on a big wheel and worm gear with a clutch, so normally, the TT does not get damaged when stuck by any cause (locking tab engaged or the access track detection small pieces). The key is to first UNLOCK the TT and then move it gently to see if there is something in the way.
Just for you to know here is the 74861 once opened
74861 TT.jpg
Note: This is Julie picture in Forum 3 rails in France and NOT my picture

Cheers
Jean

Offline Garoux  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2023 15:09:07(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, this product from Marklin was an absolute "Dog". I bought one, returned it for service 3 times and finally I gave up and waited for the second version. Bought that and only had to send it back once before it worked. My suggestion is that you try and ask for an exchange for the second version.

Thanks. I am glad to feel myself not alone. But I am too old and too far from the sellers for a new expèrience upon this 74862.
Shipping 10 days to the seller., perhaps a new shipping to marklin 5 days. More than a month for retrieving my turntable.
During the last round trip the seller told me that my claim arrive too late from the purchase time.
It was a mistake to buy this item. I hope that nobody will buy the Marklin 74862.
Alain

Offline Garoux  
#7 Posted : 12 October 2023 15:44:12(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hello Alain

https://static.maerklin....09dc6f30c31686554821.pdf

So there are many questions, sorry for this.

Other issues that may happen is the detection small pieces may jam the TT if they become loose.
The TT has a mechanical drive based on a big wheel and worm gear with a clutch, so normally, the TT does not get damaged when stuck by any cause (locking tab engaged or the access track detection small pieces). The key is to first UNLOCK the TT and then move it gently to see if there is something in the way.
Just for you to know here is the 74861 once opened
74861 TT.jpg
Note: This is Julie picture in Forum 3 rails in France and NOT my picture

Cheers
Jean

Many times before my purchase I saw all the videos Youtube upon this turntable. When I received it, as I said above, All was ok.
But as many Marklin products. After few days, it run no more. Why? I do not know. One time, someone told me that I need to run the wifi for updating the item. Someone else inform me that micro cuts will damage the system. My culture of Model railway is not so ambitious that Marklin try to implement objects as Turntable 74862. I was born too early.
Alain

Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 12 October 2023 18:01:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Alain, if the TT is still under warranty (24 months I think) then you must send it back.
The exception when the warranty may be rejected is when there is damage caused by misuse.
Several time I send my items directly to Göppingen after a first email to them to check if this was OK to send it.
Original packing enclosed in a shipment box with a letter (German better or English) with:
- you name, address, email, telephone
- the purchase details if under warranty
- the list of enclosed item Usually all except the documentation, paperwork, detailing part)
- detailled description of what is wrong with it and how you use the product (with a CS3, CS2, MS2, control box)
- a copy of the purchase invoice.

Shipment is usually with signing upon delivery and insurance.
My experience (last July, it lasted 7 weeks when send by the shop "Au Pullman" but it may go worse as Christmas is approaching (super hot period for repairs)
This year I sent back 2 Insider locos 5 year warranty) and both were close to 5 years old but got repaired very well free of charge in less than 8 weeks and through the dealer (cascade shipment).
I think repairs work very well from close countries like France (Unlike overseas countries like New Zeeland where customs and shipment are a problem).

Cheers
Jean
Offline Garoux  
#9 Posted : 13 October 2023 09:42:27(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Alain, if the TT is still under warranty (24 months I think) then you must send it back.
The exception when the warranty may be rejected is when there is damage caused by misuse.
Several time I send my items directly to Göppingen after a first email to them to check if this was OK to send it.
Original packing enclosed in a shipment box with a letter (German better or English) with:

Jean

I bought it in july 2023. The first day Ireceived it. All was ok. Two days after it run no more as many items Marklin. The seller proposed to return the TT to him.
I received the TT back about the 15 of september. The seller told me that I have nothing to pay. The reparation was under waranty......
I tried to use it but it was the same problem. I phoned a new time to the seller to inform him that the reparation were inefficient. I proposed to ship back the TT with a refund from him. The seller then told me that too many days have passed since the purchase.
Here's about the warranty.
concerning the ship to MarklinI have a bad experience with a CS3 in 2020. I repeate. It was a mistake for me to implement Marklin.
Regards.
Alain
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 13 October 2023 21:55:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You are not aone with TT problems. As regards Marklin I have never had a problem other than one signal which was probably my fault.
I would send the TT back to Marklin which I know is annoying but hopefully you will get it back working.
I see you talk about your age well I am two years older than you so welcome to us older guys who can at times find this new type of model railway confusing but dont give up.

David

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Garoux  
#11 Posted : 14 October 2023 10:43:11(UTC)
Garoux

France   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

You are not alone with TT problems. As regards Marklin I have never had a problem other than one signal which was probably my fault.
I would send the TT back to Marklin which I know is annoying but hopefully you will get it back working.
I see you talk about your age well I am two years older than you so welcome to us older guys who can at times find this new type of model railway confusing but dont give up.

David

Thank you for these few reassuring words.But maybe you are more patient than me.I am aware that Marklin remains good material.
With electronics and age, it's less easy to find where a malfunction is coming from.
Thank you.
Alain

Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 14 October 2023 11:26:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Dear Alain
Yes Märklin is not perfect and sometimes (not often in my case) they don't solve the problem. This is especially true for random failures (non-permanent ones) or the ones connected with registration issues on your main station.
Key is to describe in detail the problem you have with pictures in GERMAN

Model railroading is only possible when you have patience, I think.
It happened to most of us to try resolving an issue and then braking something or having a small part jumping "somewhere".
I use Märklin since 1961, and my oldest model was made in 1950. Märklin is NOT perfect but believe me I have been through worse brands.

You MUST give Märklin a chance and send back your TT before the hot season. May be your "seller" is not doing things right. I know, in France, all models are sent to Märklin Switzerland before going to Germany so these are many people in-between so why not deal with the mother company (Göppingen) DIRECT.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Tom Jessop  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2023 11:10:39(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I have been looking thru the dutch 3 rail forum in the las few months , numerous comments regarding the new turntables problems making a worthy read on a cold wet night .

https://forum.3rail.nl/index.php?msg=1519088

Go to page 29 for some reading.

Cheers Tom in Oz