Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Luna  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2023 05:47:45(UTC)
Luna

United States   
Hello CS3 gurus. I finally was able to get my basement hardwired this morning. Got all ready to hook up my central station to the ethernet cable. Turn on the CS3 and no ip address in the boxes where it should appear. As far as I know the ethernet cable is receiving a signal from the modem as the technician showed me that there was a signal on the cable. Is there some trick to getting those numbers to appear in the boxes under the ip subset? Thanks in advance for any answers to my problem.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2023 07:55:38(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I don't have a CS3, but on the CS2 there is a DHCP button that makes the CS2 obtain an IP address from the DHCP server.
The modem may not act as a DHCP server, but it is worth a try.

Are the lights at the Ethernet socket blinking?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 20 September 2023 12:03:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Luna
Here are some basics about the CS3 and Ethernet
- the CS3 may work in MANUAL IP address mode or in AUTO mode where pushing on the DHCP button (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) causes the CS3 to ask the "server" (your TV / Internet box, your Wifi router) for a free address that the CS3 can use.
So, briefly, the CS3 may only have an IP address if EITHER you enter it OR, you are in AUTO mode AND, using the DHCP button, the CS3 OBTAINED an answerback from the router / box for an IP address to use.

Here is the first part of the CS3 IP setting screen This is the AUTO / DHCP mode.
cs3_ParametresIP_1.png
Here is the second (lower part) of the CS3 IP setting screen. This is the manual address setting mode.
cs3_ParametresIP_2.png

What to do?
- using DHCP is simpler BUT the assigned IP address may change and force you to later correct addresses
- using the manual address setting seems a bit more complicated BUT, you do it once and then can forget about it.
- so one possibility is to ask the server using the DHCP key, for an address (192.168.xx.yy) and then to use it in the manual mode (so it won't later change)

I use this to link my CS3 with Rocrail through my Windows 11 PC
Cheers
Jean
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2023 14:46:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Luna, I watched a webinar from Marklin America and they suggested that to obtain an IP address it was to restart the CS3 and the IP address will automatically show.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Luna  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2023 15:58:12(UTC)
Luna

United States   
Thanks to all for the quick responses. Jean how do you access the manual IP entering area or page. I don't even see an option on my CS3+ for anything like that. It says auto or manual IP but it is greyed out so unable to change to manual.
Thanks,
Luna
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 20 September 2023 16:15:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post
Jean how do you access the manual IP entering area or page. I don't even see an option on my CS3 for anything like that. It says auto or manual IP but it is greyed out so unable to change to manual.

You simply scroll down, past the automatic zone.
Note: unlike on the CS2, there is no DHCP button anymore, so to get an automatic address, you need to start with an empty manual address and cold start the CS3, it will ask for a free address.
Cheers
Jean

Offline Luna  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2023 19:02:34(UTC)
Luna

United States   
Jean as far as I can see I can't scroll down any further than the automatic settings page. There is also no option for auto IP or manual IP like I see in some of the example pages on various web sites. The space where the IP should appear has 3 dots in it and it is basically greyed out. The Cs3 doesn't seem to be even hooked up to the ethernet cable.
Thanks,
Mark
Offline gamolina  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2023 17:28:16(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello Luna! First star up your router and then your CS3.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gamolina
Offline dave55uk  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2023 21:53:28(UTC)
dave55uk

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: gamolina Go to Quoted Post
Hello Luna! First star up your router and then your CS3.

This also works with the CS1.
(I read this post, tried it and it worked).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dave55uk