Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dave55uk  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2023 10:04:25(UTC)
dave55uk

United Kingdom   
I've been looking on ebay to see if I can find any bargains, locos, coaches and wagons.
Pertaining to locos specifically, how easy is it to fit a decoder into a non-digital one?
(I have no specific loco(s) in mind, hence just a general question).
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2023 13:09:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dave
This is a very broad question!
Most Märklin decoders require a DC motor (magnet inductor)
So on old Märklin, the motor may have to be converted to DC using one the the Märklin motors: 60941 (drum collector), 60943 (small flat collector), 60944 (large flat collector)

On analogue locos it depends if Märklin or not:
- Märklin locos used to have a mechanical direction relay which can be replaced by a decoder (Märklin manages to keep the same dimensions
- for non- Märklin locos you have to check if there is enough space to fit a decoder. A mLD3 Märklin decodeur measures 16 x 5 x 11.5 mm (version with cables (no plug-in PCB)

Note: The above is assuming that the loco is already in 3 rails (electrically linked axles and with a slider to pick power from studs)

Converting a loco is delicate work requiring an electronic soldering iron (small soldering pad, regulated temperature) electronic solder wire, heath shrink (1 mm diameter). ALWAYS, prior to ANY conversion, make sure the loco runs fine and smooth (good pick-up, good motor).
The conversion may include replacing bulbs with LEDs and installing a sound decoder (more space is required and it makes only sense on a high value and SILENT loco).
I find it fun to do. Together with creating a sound project may take 2 to 3 hours.

Cheers
Jean

Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2023 15:08:15(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I agree with Jean. It's really fun.

Some models are easier than others. Other may even require metal to be cut, because the permanent magnet DC motor is a bit thicker than the analogue motor. This applies to Märklin and I assume you are talking of Märklin locos.

Most likely the easiest loco to convert from analogue to digital is the V200. I think any version will do. You can find those for 50€ and the ones that are in a bit better condition, for 80€.

I strongly recommend using a sound decoder.

You can program the sounds using the Decoder Programmer Tool which is available for free, but it requires and USB stick where you can attach the decoder for programming. Other option I believe is to use CS3.

ESU Loksound 5 is also a great decoder, some may argue it's better than Märklin mSD3. ESU also has it's own programming tools. However the great thing about mSD3s are that there are three different versions which have factory loaded sounds for steam, electric and diesel, so it's not strictly necessary to have a programmer right away.

BR,
Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2023 16:07:49(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
With the correct skill, and tools, it's fun.
Offline tonyfh  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2023 17:06:26(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello Dave,

As always good advice from above posters but I have some remarks:

In case you want the old Märklin locomotives as original as possible and don't need sound you could consider the so called Allstrom decoder 60906, see the Marklin product database, then you only need to remove the relais. This decoder fits right in place of the relais at most of the locomotives.

And for tools, I convert my loco's with a simple 230 V - 15 W soldering iron with 1,0 mm rosin core solder and a damp sponge, and of course the necessary screwdrivers, etc. for opening the loc, removing the relais and mounting the part the decoder clicks in.
And I don't need sound in my loco's, its completely useless because I run my trains on M-rails, so making a lot of noise on the tracks itself.

Succes Tony.
Offline einotuominen  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2023 18:26:46(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: tonyfh Go to Quoted Post
consider the so called Allstrom decoder 60906.

This is a good idea if you wish to run old locos on a new digital layout ”as they were back in the days”.

However it’s a no go if you wish to upgrade and have the really smooth digital running.

This idea is alsol most likely the easiest way to do the conversion. However it’s not really that much cheaper than a new 5-pole DC motor and a mLD3 decoder.

But a good point anyway 🙌

-Eino
Offline tonyfh  
#7 Posted : 19 September 2023 19:26:47(UTC)
tonyfh

You are welcome Eino and thank you for your addition to my post, also very useful.

For me these decoders do the job, but I am using an old 6021 control unit and the metal M-tracks.

Greetings, Tony.
Offline dave55uk  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2023 22:43:43(UTC)
dave55uk

United Kingdom   
Thanks guys for all your comments. By the sound of it, I'll leave well alone LOL
Offline cintrans  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2023 01:24:48(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: dave55uk Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys for all your comments. By the sound of it, I'll leave well alone LOL

Dave

Don't be discouraged, it is not complicated if you are a bit handy and it is only as expensive as you want it to be....

The easiest and least expensive way is to get yourself a used analog or Delta loco (one with the drum style motor) to start out with, get one of the 60760 conversion kits (about 30 ~ 40 Euro) that have a simple decoder and a 5 pole motor conversion in it and your on your way to digitize your first simple conversion to digital.....

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans