Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2023 21:01:46(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering how you experience the br42.90, 50, 52 and simular loco s in Z. I tend to think they are kind of noisy and lack in pulling power. Only the br42.90 (franco crosti) is quite a good puller. How do you experience these locos (they are beautiful for sure) and are there other loco s that have the same "issues" in your opinion and how did you solve it?

Best,
Kristof
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2023 01:56:39(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Most agree, these type of locomotives, while looking good in action, tend to not be able to pull many wagons. Chris mentioned the pilot wheels and rear wheels tend to draw away from the weight on the drive wheels. Despite the weight it would seem these locomotives have, there is a tendency to not be able to put the weight to good use and this may be the cause. Additionally, the added weight of pulling the tender is not a plus. Of course you could always use two locomotives to pull something like a heavy coal train.

For steam type locomotives, the tank locomotives tend to fare better and have the same appeal. These tend to put all their weight over the drive wheels.

There seems to be a never ending search for the best pulling locomotives and most are not the steam locomotives. Some good tank locomotives include the Br 96,94, both which are not in production. I recently missed out on a Br 94. Darn.

Hope this helps, take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2023 11:51:55(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I love the 0-10-0 models.
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2023 20:52:33(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

Is there anyone who has a Br53? (88053) Described as longest z scale locomotive made by Marklin in 2007.

Seems this has all the potential of a good puller.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2023 21:24:47(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline Artologic  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2023 16:51:44(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, hope all is well.

Most agree, these type of locomotives, while looking good in action, tend to not be able to pull many wagons. Chris mentioned the pilot wheels and rear wheels tend to draw away from the weight on the drive wheels. Despite the weight it would seem these locomotives have, there is a tendency to not be able to put the weight to good use and this may be the cause. Additionally, the added weight of pulling the tender is not a plus. Of course you could always use two locomotives to pull something like a heavy coal train.

For steam type locomotives, the tank locomotives tend to fare better and have the same appeal. These tend to put all their weight over the drive wheels.

There seems to be a never ending search for the best pulling locomotives and most are not the steam locomotives. Some good tank locomotives include the Br 96,94, both which are not in production. I recently missed out on a Br 94. Darn.

Hope this helps, take good care.

Dwight

Hey Dwight,

They look really great, but I m sad to read that I m not the only one experiencing the lack of pulling power. I have thought about using 2 locos, but sadly enough, non of the 3 I have run even remotely the same, which would present new issues of course.

Most tank engines are really great. The t12 I have is a decent puller and even the br89 can move it s weight. How is the br64 handling?

Hahaha yes, Z scale sure makes you look what and how when it comes to pulling power! The br94 and 96 are real beauties! I hope you get your chance soon, it s a real nice addon to a collection.

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents!

Best,
Kristof

Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
I love the 0-10-0 models.

Who doesn t, they are real beauties!
Offline Artologic  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2023 17:05:11(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

Is there anyone who has a Br53? (88053) Described as longest z scale locomotive made by Marklin in 2007.

Seems this has all the potential of a good puller.

Take good care.

Dwight

I didn t even knew they ever made these, me want! It does seem like it would be a really good puller, all traction axles are powered!
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2023 04:37:11(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I don’t know why but a Br 74 of much better than a Br 64. The 64 seems to not have the weight and there is that extra set of wheels at the rear. It is a nice locomotive though, just cannot pull many wagons.

This one might make a nice double traction with a 74 and 64 working together. Earlier versions of the 74 unfortunately lack the front coupler.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Artologic  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2023 23:48:16(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hello, hope all is well.

I don’t know why but a Br 74 of much better than a Br 64. The 64 seems to not have the weight and there is that extra set of wheels at the rear. It is a nice locomotive though, just cannot pull many wagons.

This one might make a nice double traction with a 74 and 64 working together. Earlier versions of the 74 unfortunately lack the front coupler.

Take good care.

Dwight

Hey Dwight,

I haven t had the br64 in my hands yet (I hope tomorrow), but the br74 is for sure a heavy weight. My impression is that loco s with standing motors in general tend to pull quite well and aren t too bad at running either. Probably because they have a lot of room for weight and thus have better traction?

Never thought about a double traction with a br64 and 74, I m curious how running charasteristics hold up. The old br74 doesn t have a front coupler, but the hook should work too, or you put the br74 in front, then it doesn t need one!

Best,
Kristof
Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 24 September 2023 16:31:32(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Great thread, lots of cool locos discussed here. I won't comment on pulling power of the BR50, I just hook up a few cars and I'm not very scientific about which loco pulls what, especially with steam, but if you search 88942 (it's an 0-10-0 BR94) @Poor Skeleton posts a lot of good info.
The BR53 video linked here by @parakiet is fantastic! Nice layout for sure but he has those locos running so smoothly! Nice track work as well. Wow. I do not DCC my Marklin or European locos. But I have converted all of my AZL and MTL North American loco's and it makes a great difference in smooth running characteristics and so probably pulling power. DCC is the "impact wrench" of power delivery ;)
Offline Artologic  
#11 Posted : 28 September 2023 17:41:40(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Great thread, lots of cool locos discussed here. I won't comment on pulling power of the BR50, I just hook up a few cars and I'm not very scientific about which loco pulls what, especially with steam, but if you search 88942 (it's an 0-10-0 BR94) @Poor Skeleton posts a lot of good info.
The BR53 video linked here by @parakiet is fantastic! Nice layout for sure but he has those locos running so smoothly! Nice track work as well. Wow. I do not DCC my Marklin or European locos. But I have converted all of my AZL and MTL North American loco's and it makes a great difference in smooth running characteristics and so probably pulling power. DCC is the "impact wrench" of power delivery ;)

In my opinion you can t go wrong with (big) steamers, they are always nice. Just like you I hook up different cars (I run my trains in changing epoches), but it happens quite often that the loco isn t able to move the cars, even if the train ain t that long.

The br94 is a real beauty, marklin did a very nice job on it.

Are American made loco s easier to convert/ prepared for conversion?

Best,
Kristof