Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2023 00:04:09(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
So I'm about to add contact tracks to my main level. I'm using ECOS Detectors. I'm my staging I used two contact tracks per siding. One coming in and one at end when leaving. As I prepare to add contact tracks to the main level and the passenger station I'm wondering if I should just add contact tracks to the middle of each siding, maybe make it 3 tracks long.

That way I'd save on the number of contact tracks needed and any train coming into the siding from either direction would trip the contact track and then the train would stop in the siding.

I guess my question is this. Is 2 contact tracks really needed in a siding or is it overkill?

I would appreciate any input on the question. I'm using my ESU ECOS but plan on using railcom eventually to partially control or at least track my trains.

Thanks,

Chris
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2023 02:05:35(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
If you just wish to use contact tracks to sense the arrival of a train and stop them, one located at the end of the siding is of course sufficient. Adding another contact track at the start of the siding is useful to detect that a train is about to arrive to a stop, so its speed can be (gradually) reduced before halting.

I use Rocrail where this can be achieved quite easily; ESU ECOS and railcom can probably also benefit of the second contact track, but the how is beyond my experience.

- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2023 09:53:53(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Chris
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post

I guess my question is this. Is 2 contact tracks really needed in a siding or is it overkill?

Whatever the method you use (simple digital or PC control like Rocrail):
- you need a contact zone near the buffer to have a gentle stop near it from a slow speed
- optionally you need a second contact at the begin of the siding to slow down (not a must really).
- with Rocrail, on an uncoupling siding, I use one contact at the begin of the siding, just before the decoupler (to slow down and for the loco alone to pick the consist) and another near the buffer to stop and trigger the decoupler

See the automatic operation on a siding with decoupler
- 1:30 automatic coupling
- 3:48 automatic decoupling
- 7:22 automatic coupling

If you are curious, with Rocrail, this 100% automatic operation is done using one virtual block (2 sensors) and a slave block to the virtual block using one of its sensors

Cheers
Jean
Offline heinrichhess  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2023 11:23:10(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
this sounds like digital stuff of witch i am not qualified for my thought is instead of 2 contract tracks use a switching track it will know when its entering and existing

hess
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2023 12:38:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I mainly use circuit tracks. IF you want to use two the first slows the train and can make any sound if fitted with sound decoder and the second stops the train. The second can stop it for several seconds then reverse back out if you wish. I like to keep things simple. The circuit tracks will also change the signals if fitted at the siding. Fair to say this is easy with a Marklin CS3 but dont know about ECOS.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2023 12:48:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: heinrichhess Go to Quoted Post
this sounds like digital stuff of witch i am not qualified for my thought is instead of 2 contract tracks use a switching track it will know when its entering and existing

hess

I thought you were in digital. You need sensors for automatic operation.
If you like shunting it is all about manual steering or totally automatic operation.

In analogue, inverting the loco direction is tricky:
- you need one switch to go from normal operation voltage (8 to 15 VAC) to 24 VAC
- you need another switch to cut off power during a little time (100 to 500 mS) to give time to the direction relay to return to its idle position.

In the past there was a wonderful device: the Märklin 6600 to change direction, simulate inertia but ALAS, it is not suitable to any electronic or digital loco (because of waiveform and voltage).

Cheers
Jean