Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2023 14:27:08(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi. Looking for some advice please.

I have seen differing videos for installation of the above into motorised turnouts with digital control. In one, the brown wire from the lantern pcb was connected to the track brown and the yellow connected to a separate power supply which seems slightly odd. In a second, both wires from the lantern were connected to a separate power supply; and in a third, both wires were soldered to pads on the digital control pcb.

Can someone advise me on the best/correct way to wire these up please? Many thanks

Alex

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2023 15:27:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post

I have seen differing videos for installation of the above into motorised turnouts with digital control. In one, the brown wire from the lantern pcb was connected to the track brown and the yellow connected to a separate power supply which seems slightly odd. In a second, both wires from the lantern were connected to a separate power supply; and in a third, both wires were soldered to pads on the digital control pcb.

Can someone advise me on the best/correct way to wire these up please? Many thanks

Alex

Hello Alex
Here a Märklin fan, C-Track user from France.
The lanterns are independent of the decoder you may have in the switch.
The reality is you have 2 wires (brown and yellow) and they are to be connected (or soldered) the the O and B spade connectors on the track.
IMO the power drain is so small that it is not worth your while to have a seperate feed, especially in digital (full power always there).
The lantern PCB contains a current-limiting resistor and 2 yellow or whire LEDs arranged top to tail to work with AC so the polarity of your connection does not matter (Digital is not DC anyways).
If you wish a separate power supply, then any 12 to 16 V AC or DC will do
Here is my digital layout with C track, lanterns and Rocrail
Power by one CS2 (at the time and a 100 W PSU 60101 for 26 digital locos powered on the layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI

Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 31 August 2023 19:59:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2023 17:42:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post

Alex

Further to what Jean said - as he states, the LED uses so little power it is not a problem to run it off the digital signal, bu tthe downside to this is if there is a short on the layout (derailment or some other reason) that causes the control unit to turn off track power, then the power to the turnout indicators also gets turned off.

For this reason many people will run the decoders and indicator lanterns from a seperate booster, which will then maintain the LED power, and possibly allow operation of the points while sorting out the cause of the short. For this reason some people maintain old digital boosters like the 6015/6017 or DELTA control units as a booster for this purpose.

However initially I would just wire it to the track as Marklin designed it. If you decide later that you would like seperate power for them you can always change it (assuming you have arranged things so you can get at them).

Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2023 01:32:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Agreed with all above.
In fact if you pull up the manual for the 74462 c track turnout decoder, it shows on page 28, that the lantern brown and yellow wires are to be soldered to some pads on the decoder, which get their power from the track attached wires of the decoder (the yellow and brown).
One can always move that power pick up to a separate booster or separate lighting power source at a later time.

Capture.PNG
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Alex H  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2023 08:50:51(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thanks everyone for your input - it is much appreciated

Alex