Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2023 12:40:28(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I'm having a problem with the CS3+ running with Train|Controller version 8. From what I can understand, the CS3+ was released when version 8 of TC was the lastest version and later version 9 was released and now there's version10. However, TC stopped updating version 8 to coincide with the updates of CS3+. Therefore, I am thinking that if I revert back to the original software of CS3+ then the communication will be okay.

Do you think I'm right ?

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2023 12:59:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Greg
I am afraid a simple user like you and me are not allowed to go back in time and make a negative UPDATE.
When doing an update (even from a USB memory stick) the CS3 will refuse to upodate with an earlier version.

I believe only Märklin can.

Can't you switch from TC to Rocrail?
They keep on following changes from the key train manufacturers and provide an update EVERY WORKING DAY.
I use a CS3 (60226) with Rocrail, with the latest version without any issues.
Let me know if you need help for changing.
You can start testing even today without contribution (later if you are satisfied) and with a PC, all you need is a CAT5 (Ethernet cable)
Cheers
Jean
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2023 14:56:05(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Jean for the advise. I've being tossing around the the idea of changing over to Rocrail, however it's another item that I need to learn. I've been using Traincontoller for some years now and when I glanced at Rocrail it looked a lot different. I did computing programming at university 50 years ago and sadly I've forgotten most of it and Rocrail looks like there's some programming to be done.

On the other hand, Mr Freiwald at traincontroller won't update his software to accommodate the new Marklin TT, so it might be wise to change over. I'll give it some more serious thought.

Regards
Greg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2023 19:25:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Greg
I trust Rocrail to follow closely all future development.
There is a very good English forum on Rocrail and I am sure they will help you quickly and efficiently.

Regarding the new Märklin TT 74862 truth is:
- so far Rocrail has not provided a specific solution to this 74862 TT.
- one of the reasons is, even after multiple information requests, Märklin has refused to provide technical info (see below)
- another reason is, the 74862 is an "all in one package" (TT + decoder + sound) designed for a sophisticated manual operation (no multiple detection zones on the bridge, no feed back on "command completed")
- the last reason is the 74862 is sophisticated ONLY when in MFX (including self recognition of acess tracks and capability from a CS3 or CS2 to manually slide the TT to the desired track (cannot be transferred to RR sofar. It is a blocking point because Rocrail takes pride in providing a multiprotocol solution and also one not linked with the type of Central Station you are using

The TT 74862
- It has an intelligent mode valid only when using MFX and a CS3 or CS2: automatic recognition of used tracks and a drag&drop capability to move the TT to the desired track.
- The other mode, you MUST use is when you don't want / cannot use MFX , when you use a different central station (ECOS, etc). Then the mode is very simplified.
- Simplified mode for DCC and MM2: no recognition of tracks, a direct order (like for switches) to move the TT 1 to 14 steps in one direction or the other.
- So, as is, the 74862 can be used by Rocrail but by doing all yourself (computing the preferred rotation direction, the number of steps, the time when the TT has reached its destination.

So, it is possible to use Rocrail to drive the 74862 using the manual mode (select the switches, signals and start the loco).
In automatic mode, using schedules or the fishbowl approach it is still possible but some fiddeling may be required:
- generate a delay (either a long fixed one or a calculated short one (depending on the rotation angle to authorize the loco to start)
- stop precisely the loco in the middle of the TT with only one sensor. There are some possibilities using BBT (a self learning feature in Rocrail to get a precise stopping for all locos, irrespective of their particulars (speed inertia, etc).

Cheers
Jean
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2023 02:32:44(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

I am afraid a simple user like you and me are not allowed to go back in time and make a negative UPDATE.
When doing an update (even from a USB memory stick) the CS3 will refuse to update with an earlier version.

That is not my experience.

I acknowledge there are layers of software/firmware from the kernel, OS, Drivers and Apps
But if I copy an older cs3_update file onto a USB key, and plug it into my CS3, the CS3 will present an update dot and you may proceed to revert files

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2023 15:01:05(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

When doing an update (even from a USB memory stick) the CS3 will refuse to update with an earlier version.

That is not my experience.

I acknowledge there are layers of software/firmware from the kernel, OS, Drivers and Apps
But if I copy an older cs3_update file onto a USB key, and plug it into my CS3, the CS3 will present an update dot and you may proceed to revert files

Thanks Peter for the information. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Regards
Greg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2023 15:06:02(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I tried to download previous updates for the CS3 however there is only the latest update available on the Marklin website. Do you know where I can get the previous dates ?

Regards
Greg
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 23 August 2023 19:45:59(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I tried to download previous updates for the CS3 however there is only the latest update available on the Marklin website. Do you know where I can get the previous dates ?

Regards
Greg

What version are you seeking ?, I have some older versions
Offline Bryan  
#9 Posted : 23 August 2023 23:44:08(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear Greg

I once had a CS2 that had not been upgraded for a very longtime and as such would not update with the current software. I was able to get some of the past updates and install them, however, not all. Eventually the current update did download and update. There were slight problems with the final result, especially booting up. I asked Marklin about this on one occasion. They said all updates have to go in sequence, the file directories are setup that way. Anything else and the CS will have to go back to Marklin for reimaging.

So to use an earlier CS update, for a start, doubt if it would wipe out files down loaded with later updates. My worry would be updating with an old version could upset the file sequencing and cause problems. The result then is it has to go back to Marklin. I could be wrong, it is just past IT experience proved it was like this.

David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bryan