Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RhbFan079  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2023 15:37:58(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   
Hi everyone! I'm new and I'm just starting with the N scale. I'm a Rhb enthusiast, I bought several Kato locomotives which I converted with the appropriate Digitrax digital decoder. Everything works perfectly, except when I press the STOP button to restart after a break; in this case, immediately after pressing the STOP button, the locomotive accelerates for a couple of centimeters and then stops. The operation of the MS2 then continues without problems. This sudden movement afterwards is annoying. Has anyone already had problems with this? I can't solve this little problem...

I put a little video on Youtube describing the problem:

Video

Thank youuuuuu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RhbFan079
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2023 16:31:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome! I don't know what the trouble can be, but I also didn't know that Digitrax is even compatible with Marklin/Trix controllers. I thought they use railcom, or another decoding platform than Motorola.
Offline RhbFan079  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2023 16:38:55(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome! I don't know what the trouble can be, but I also didn't know that Digitrax is even compatible with Marklin/Trix controllers. I thought they use railcom, or another decoding platform than Motorola.

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes Digitrax support NMRA DCC. So must support the MS2. Confused

Online JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2023 17:08:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rbbfan (a first name would be much better)
This is not a small problem as it may cause derailments
It probably comes from non-strict compatibility with NEM DCC (which Trix strictly is).
When you look at digitrax website, DCC is almost NEVER mentioned but Railcom is.
Obviously, the loco decoder misinterprets the early commands following a power up.
My advice: either choose a Railcom station (Digitrax Command Station) or use DCC loco decoders.
The less you mix brands the better you are
Cheers
Jean
Offline RhbFan079  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2023 17:27:58(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Rbbfan (a first name would be much better)
This is not a small problem as it may cause derailments
It probably comes from non-strict compatibility with NEM DCC (which Trix strictly is).
When you look at digitrax website, DCC is almost NEVER mentioned but Railcom is.
Obviously, the loco decoder misinterprets the early commands following a power up.
My advice: either choose a Railcom station (Digitrax Command Station) or use DCC loco decoders.
The less you mix brands the better you are
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean! THank you for your reply. In forum is usual to use Nickname ;o)
As i said, the digitrax decoder i've installed DN163K4A Kato is DCC compatible and it's indicated on the digitrax site. See attached image. So must work without problem with the MS2...but not....
Cheers
Filippoaa.jpg

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2023 19:48:59(UTC)
H0

Hi, Filippo,

If you haven't already done so, make sure that only DCC is activated in the MS2.
Try if you can disable the DigiTrax mode and analogue mode in the decoder.

Maybe the decoder gets confused by the MM or mfx signals.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2023 00:22:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Filippo,

If you haven't already done so, make sure that only DCC is activated in the MS2.

That would be my suspicion as well. so set the ms2 to DCC mode only.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 12 August 2023 13:03:04(UTC)
Goofy

Did you disable Railcom in the loco decoder? It could be that is the problem. I do this when i use DCC with Märklin system.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 12 August 2023 20:48:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Did you disable Railcom in the loco decoder? It could be that is the problem. I do this when i use DCC with Märklin system.

Digitrax decoders don't use Railcom, they use a Digitrax proprietary system that does a similar thing. But the point still stands, that it should be disabled, although it should only try and send if the controller requests information.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
H0
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 13 August 2023 09:48:52(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Digitrax decoders don't use Railcom, they use a Digitrax proprietary system that does a similar thing. But the point still stands, that it should be disabled, although it should only try and send if the controller requests information.

My fault!
Digitrax use transponding but it could be that theirs loco decoders make disturb with some digital system.
It reports about some faulting.
Yes i recommended those who use Digitrax loco decoder make sure disabled some CV adresses that does not need to be use.
H0
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2023 19:24:19(UTC)
H0

mfx was designed with NMRA DCC in mind and no valid mfx signal will ever contain a valid DCC initializer block.

I don't know if the MS2 emits signals that are understood by Digitrax decoders.
Maybe the "unknown" (probably unknown for the Digitrax decoders) mfx or MM signals from the MS2 trigger the analogue mode detection of the Digitrax decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RhbFan079  
#12 Posted : 14 August 2023 07:46:45(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Filippo,

That would be my suspicion as well. so set the ms2 to DCC mode only.

Thank you to all! I will try. it is really easy (shift + setup, enter mobile station menu ,select loco protocol, and choose DCC). I will do the same for accessory protocol. Thanks a lot for a response. I will let you know....
Filippo
Offline RhbFan079  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2023 07:48:31(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   

How? I immagine i've to change a CV date......i've tried for example to modify the CV 29 (SET analog OFF in Digitrax Decoder) with my MS2, bu i cant; the MS2 say the CV position it's timed out....Glare Huh
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 14 August 2023 14:22:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RhbFan079 Go to Quoted Post

How? I immagine i've to change a CV date......i've tried for example to modify the CV 29 (SET analog OFF in Digitrax Decoder) with my MS2, bu i cant; the MS2 say the CV position it's timed out....Glare Huh

I wouldn't worry about changing the decoder for the moment, just get the ms2 correctly set and see how well the system works. if there are still problems we can go from there.
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2023 17:21:16(UTC)
Goofy

Digitrax loco decoder are a little tricky.
If you have trouble shoot you can try by set MS2 with only DCC protocol in the system before start program decoder.
Be attention that only one loco or digital accessories stand alone on the track before you program with MS2.

H0
Offline RhbFan079  
#16 Posted : 15 August 2023 11:15:55(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   

Digitrax loco decoder are a little tricky.
If you have trouble shoot you can try by set MS2 with only DCC protocol in the system before start program decoder.
Be attention that only one loco or digital accessories stand alone on the track before you program with MS2.

Thank you to all! Unfortunately this solution doesn’t work at all. The Problem persists. I’ve forced DDC into my MS2 but I’ve not fixed the troubleshoot . Blink So I’ve tried to modified the CV29 (analog off of the decoder) but the MS2 say timeout LOL and cannot read the Cv of the digit tax controller. I didn’t know that is so difficult to adapt the dcc each other. I going tu buy the digitrax system! Laugh

Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 15 August 2023 20:27:31(UTC)
Goofy

I do not recommended you to buy Digitrax system because there is problem with theirs system.
Especially upgrade software.
If you want to use small loco decoder i suggest you try Zimo or ESU for the N scale.
H0
Offline RhbFan079  
#18 Posted : 15 August 2023 20:29:52(UTC)
RhbFan079

Switzerland   
I do not recommended you to buy Digitrax system because there is problem with theirs system.
If you want to use small loco decoder i suggest you try Zimo or ESU for the N scale.

They work with Digitrax decoder ? BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RhbFan079
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 16 August 2023 13:27:39(UTC)
Goofy

They work with Digitrax decoder ? BigGrin

I did wrote..."small decoder" and it means there are Zimo and ESU loco decoder for the N scale.

H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy