Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline heinrichhess  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2023 11:44:06(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
just planning next part of layout i have not heard good things about 5114 M Track Diamond Crossings can you use it for digital running at slow speed i have hard stuff like only 1/2 of slider makes contact and marklin of Sweden only use standard switches not much info out tire i think this is the better of the 2 crossings?

5114 Marklin H0 M Track Diamond Crossings.jpg

hess
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2023 12:58:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Hess
Here user of Märklin M tracks since 1961 and in digital from 1988 until 1998 when I switched to C Track.
There is aboslutely nothing wrong with any piece of M track (including those diamond crossings), provided, of course it is not bent or in bad shape and this goes with digital operation too (no restrictions). So "unbend" tracks and rectify rail joiners so that they are straight and make a very strong contact as when they were new.

One can say (I do) that M track is very nice with a wink to our childhood.

The M track restrictions:
- early switches, because of the large lantern are not compatible with modern long coaches
- even with the best kept M tracks, trains dance on the track especially on DSSs and switches
- it is noisy. Märklin tried different solutions: foam to cut at will or rubber blocks at screw holes with little results
- the solenoids are current hungry
- old Märklin rolling stock (all metal) have a tendency to have couplers touch the studs making shortshort-circuits (which may disturb digital operation). Simply adjust the couplers height.

Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB