Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2023 08:28:35(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I have been adding my locomotives to CS3 recently and one Roco locomotive has been particularly annoying.

I originally programmed the locomotive as DCC and set the address using the programming track.

What seems to be happening is that the CS3 is persistent with adding the locomotive as an MFX format. I tried looking at the settings but just can’t find any option to turn this off.

I have another Roco locomotive that is relatively new that works really well as DCC, just this one is just not working as it should.

Has anyone had any similar issues?
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2023 10:16:52(UTC)
Goofy

Are the Roco models same type of identification?
For example diesel?
I might be wrong but it seems not same sound decoder.
Roco use Zimo decoder and not all of them are the same.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Eddie7979  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2023 11:44:40(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Are the Roco models same type of identification?
For example diesel?
I might be wrong but it seems not same sound decoder.
Roco use Zimo decoder and not all of them are the same.

Hi,

The Roco locomotive that works without any problems is a small SNCF diesel for shunting (no. 78011). The one cause me issues is an OBB electric locomotive, class 1044 (no. 78432).

Both locomotives are very recent, within the last 6 months. This is the first opportunity for me to start using them as I am still working on my layout.

I have just reset the locomotive decoder and it seems to working ok, the CS3 hasn’t tried adding it again.

I was just curious to see if anything else has the same problems out there.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2023 14:40:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hi Eddie! Roco (Zimo) decoders do not auto register on a CS3. Delete them and start over. Check your CS3 settings and turn on MFX, DCC, and MM protocols. Also check the voltage setting, and leave it or set it as delivered. Mine are all on!
The factory address for DCC is 03, so enter one as that. You can select funtion icons after that using the Loco edit menu in set up.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2023 14:55:59(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I have been adding my locomotives to CS3 recently and one Roco locomotive has been particularly annoying.

I originally programmed the locomotive as DCC and set the address using the programming track.

What seems to be happening is that the CS3 is persistent with adding the locomotive as an MFX format. I tried looking at the settings but just can’t find any option to turn this off.

I have another Roco locomotive that is relatively new that works really well as DCC, just this one is just not working as it should.

Hi Eddie
Here is the little I know (I have a CS3 and many multi-protocol locos.
- The CS3 is capable of dealing with MFX, DCC, MM, MM2 and MFX+ formats and it does all of them as long as you don't disable some of the formats on the CS3
- The multi-protocol decoders use (at least the Märklin ones) MFX as a top priority, then DCC then MM2 / MM
- If a multi-protocol loco is registered with DCC, if its MFX format is allowed, then, the CS3 will register the loco ALSO in MFX format and because of the priority, the MFX orders will be considered, normally ignoring the DCC ones.
- To avoid this, then you must disable - on the loco's decoder - the MFX format
- Failure to do this may result is bizarre fonctioning.

Bizarre fonctioning
A loco may be registered (with a CS3) two or three times (one MFX, one DCC and one MM2 as different locos (from the CS3 viewpoint) and so the loco may receive CONFLICTING ORDERS: e.g.: the MFX is to go forward medium speed, the DCC is to go reverse, full speed, the MM2 is to stop.
On Märklin multi protocol loco decoders (all recent M locos are), there is a priority mechanism that gives preference to MFX, then DCC last MM2. All is fine as long as the current pick-up is good. When it is not, the loco may switch to DCC or even MM2 and so there is a possibility for the loco to obey conflicting orders.
For this reason, you may want to disable on the loco, all unused protocols.

For fun, here is an ESU multi-protocol LokSound 5 micro decoder (MFX, DCC, MM2) on a multi-protocol CS3. I used it because of smaller size than Märklin mSD3.
Because I use MFX, I don't have to disable any protocol on the loco and on the CS3

All is a matter or personal opinion. Mine is, on a CS3, MFX protocol is so much better especially on Märklin decoders

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2023 17:17:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
78011 has a MX zimo decoder, so DCC/MM capable.
78432 has a MS zimo decoder so mfx capable, depending on the firmware version this function is not absolutely reliable, in many Roco locos with MS decoder i finally ended disabling mfx protocol in the decoder.
So, it is absolutely normal that your 78432 try to register itself in the CS3. If your loco is not behaving reliable you may want to disable mfx in the decoder as told by Jean and run it under DCC.
For that, disable mfx in the CS3, in the programming track register your loco as DCC, set the adress you want and write 0 in bit 6 of CV 12.
Then enable again mfx on your CS3
Now your loco will run strictly as DCC and will not try to register itself again.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Eddie7979  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2023 13:58:50(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Hi Eddie
Here is the little I know (I have a CS3 and many multi-protocol locos.
- The CS3 is capable of dealing with MFX, DCC, MM, MM2 and MFX+ formats and it does all of them as long as you don't disable some of the formats on the CS3
- The multi-protocol decoders use (at least the Märklin ones) MFX as a top priority, then DCC then MM2 / MM
- If a multi-protocol loco is registered with DCC, if its MFX format is allowed, then, the CS3 will register the loco ALSO in MFX format and because of the priority, the MFX orders will be considered, normally ignoring the DCC ones.
- To avoid this, then you must disable - on the loco's decoder - the MFX format
- Failure to do this may result is bizarre fonctioning.

Bizarre fonctioning
A loco may be registered (with a CS3) two or three times (one MFX, one DCC and one MM2 as different locos (from the CS3 viewpoint) and so the loco may receive CONFLICTING ORDERS: e.g.: the MFX is to go forward medium speed, the DCC is to go reverse, full speed, the MM2 is to stop.
On Märklin multi protocol loco decoders (all recent M locos are), there is a priority mechanism that gives preference to MFX, then DCC last MM2. All is fine as long as the current pick-up is good. When it is not, the loco may switch to DCC or even MM2 and so there is a possibility for the loco to obey conflicting orders.
For this reason, you may want to disable on the loco, all unused protocols.

For fun, here is an ESU multi-protocol LokSound 5 micro decoder (MFX, DCC, MM2) on a multi-protocol CS3. I used it because of smaller size than Märklin mSD3.
Because I use MFX, I don't have to disable any protocol on the loco and on the CS3

All is a matter or personal opinion. Mine is, on a CS3, MFX protocol is so much better especially on Märklin decoders

Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the explanation, I have been doing some research about the Roco Zimo decoder and looks like they have MFX capability. So this is why it keep automatically adding to the CS3.

The annoying thing now is how it only shows 8 functions when the the locomotive has so much more. I’d like to switch off MM and MFX protocol on the decoder but I can’t seem to find out how to do it.

Interestingly, I can still access all functions when operating the locomotive using Rocrail.

I’ll just have to keep researching!

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline Eddie7979  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2023 14:03:21(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hello
78432 has a MS zimo decoder so mfx capable, depending on the firmware version this function is not absolutely reliable, in many Roco locos with MS decoder i finally ended disabling mfx protocol in the decoder.
So, it is absolutely normal that your 78432 try to register itself in the CS3. If your loco is not behaving reliable you may want to disable mfx in the decoder as told by Jean and run it under DCC.
For that, disable mfx in the CS3, in the programming track register your loco as DCC, set the adress you want and write 0 in bit 6 of CV 12.
Now your loco will run strictly as DCC and will not try to register itself again.
Regards

Hi,

Genius! Thank you so much!

I just replied to Jean before reading your post, I will try what you suggested. This thing was driving my crazy!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post and sharing the solution :)
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 08 August 2023 14:21:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Interestingly, I can still access all functions when operating the locomotive using Rocrail.

Hi Eddie
This is quite normal as Rocrail uses a CS2 or CS3 only as a slave, converting the RR orders into MFX/DCC/MM2 orders

for instance the duration of solenoid activation: whatever is on the CSx, RR will command the duration independently.
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Eddie7979  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2023 17:49:24(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hello
Regards

I think I might need more guidance, I was following your instructions and for some reason I am unable to fine CV 12 in the DCC mode. I looked up the manual for the Zimo decoders and sure enough, they also indicate CV 12 just as you said.

I have added some photos of exactly what I see on my CS3:

IMG_3078.jpegIMG_3080.jpegIMG_3079.jpeg

Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I need to reset and start from the beginning.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2023 22:55:09(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
For DCC use the CS3 load a limited set of CV's everytime, the most used ones.
To work with a CV that it is not preloaded, you must load it in the template.
For that click on the 3 lines at the upper right corner, a menu will appear, you will finf the "add CV" oprtion, if you click it a new CV will appear in the template, there you need to enter number 12, CS3 will read that CV and you will be able to modify it.
It is a good practice to save the modified template everytime you modify CV's so for later modification you only have to load it and not do the whole process of adding cv's everytime.
Hope it helps
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Eddie7979  
#12 Posted : 09 August 2023 17:47:21(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hello
For DCC use the CS3 load a limited set of CV's everytime, the most used ones.
To work with a CV that it is not preloaded, you must load it in the template.
For that click on the 3 lines at the upper right corner, a menu will appear, you will finf the "add CV" oprtion, if you click it a new CV will appear in the template, there you need to enter number 12, CS3 will read that CV and you will be able to modify it.
It is a good practice to save the modified template everytime you modify CV's so for later modification you only have to load it and not do the whole process of adding cv's everytime.
Hope it helps
Francisco

Hi Francisco,
Thank you again so much, I have a lot more to learn about all this stuff… I am very thankful of people like you and Jean who take the time to explain things.

I just followed your instructions and it all works through the DCC!!

Much appreciated,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 09 August 2023 19:28:54(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Happy you make it work!!