Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Luna  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2023 05:37:21(UTC)
Luna

United States   
I am asking for guidance on how to prepare a contact track or circuit track. I'm extremely embarrassed to ask for help on a subject that has numerous instruction videos on the internet. I even went so far as to buy the Marklin 24494 and 24495 hoping that they would be easier to get to function seeing as they come somewhat prepped from the factory. I don't seem to be able to see in the videos where the current insulators are being applied. Which rails are being isolated. I have a link S88 and a CS3+. It of course looks simple on the videos but has turned into a seemingly impossible task for me. I do know about clipping the rails and have done that. What is the purpose of the Marklin factory circuit track if you have to go through all the same steps as just creating your own track?
Thank you to anyone who can give simplified instructions on how to do this.
Embarrassedly yours,
Mark
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2023 08:22:35(UTC)
H0

With the 24995 you can make a contact track with a length of 94 mm without using the 74030 centre-rail insulators and without the need to clip the connections between outer rails. When you need a longer contact track, you have to clip the connections for the tracks you insert.

With the 24995 you do not have to clip the rails and you do not have to use the 74030 insulators. The centre-rail sliders of the trains make momentary contacts when they pass over the circuit track - and they even indicate the direction of travel.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2023 12:01:48(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I know you mentioned you have watched many videos, but have you seen Bo Jensen’s video on the subject?

Best regards,
Eino
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2023 14:51:08(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Make a test layout with as short a run as you want - does not even have to be a loop - and test both on it. Do not even have to run a loco on it. Any ac car can activate a contact track and you can activate a circuit track with a finger. They are not too complicated but it appears that you are like me and need to learn by putting hands on.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Tie  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2023 18:26:47(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Assume links given to orher sites may help. Assume 74030 are the rails with the switch in center. I also have a few of those. Wors well and as said earlier gives direction of travel also. However: I have seen they may lift the sliding contact on locos in slow speed causing locos to stop due to power loss. Should be avoided in areas of slow speed. As substitute for insulators I have used shrink sleeves. Not a big costsaving but ok if to impatient to wait for mail. (And my layout is permanent, maybe not a god solution if rigged and downrigged various times.
Thor
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2023 19:03:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I use circuit tracks. Easy to set up and work well. You can have them working in one direction or both directions. Locos and coaches go over them without any bother.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Luna  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2023 19:59:27(UTC)
Luna

United States   
David thanks for your reply. On the Marklin circuit track I know one wire has to go to your S88. Does the track need insulators too or just the wire to the S88 and the ground wire? Clipping of rails?
Thanks,
Mark
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2023 21:59:43(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Both wires go to the S88. No insulators or clipping of rails. You just need to make a note of which direction is indicated by each wire. The contact on the side of the track is the direction the train is moving away from.
Offline Luna  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2023 03:25:05(UTC)
Luna

United States   
It sure would be great to find other Marlin aficionados in The Denver-Boulder area!
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 26 July 2023 10:35:39(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post

Thank you to anyone who can give simplified instructions on how to do this.

Hi Mark

I use the Marklin 24994 Circuit Tracks connected to a s88Link connected to my CS2.
If you have a CS3+, then the process will be similar.

There are 2 blue wires which come with the Circuit tracks.
1. Connect these 2 blue wires to the underside of the circuit tracks where the trigger mechanism is using the spade connectors on the wires, and connect the other side of the blue wire to your s88Link, for example in slot 1 and slot 2.
2. Connect a brown wire from your "O" track (ground rail) using a spade connector to the upside side down "T" on your s88Link.
3. Connect the power supply from the s88Link to your mains in order to power the device.
4. You need to set up your Circuit Tracks as Accessories on your CS3+, noting that these are 'momentary contacts' and not 'switchable'.
5. On your CS3+, you will need to create an Event, such as changing a signal or a turnout, or performing a locomotive function, eg, speed adjustment or light switch
6. On the left hand side of the Event screen, it will indicate Manual mode. You need to drag the Circuit track accessory into the Manual mode setting, and it will then indicate that it will be switched by the Circuit Track.

Hope this helps !
I don't have a CS3+ so I cannot remember exactly all of the steps, but this should get you on your way.

Regards
John

Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 26 July 2023 11:37:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post
David thanks for your reply. On the Marklin circuit track I know one wire has to go to your S88. Does the track need insulators too or just the wire to the S88 and the ground wire? Clipping of rails?
Thanks,
Mark

Just one blue wire to the S88. If you want to use both directions join the two blue wires to a single wire then to the S88, That's all you need to do. I have the CS3 Plus so no need for a link and one wire from the S88 to the CS3 ground. Really is simple and works well.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.