Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Steveknz  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2023 09:15:42(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
Hi folks

I just picked up a reasonably priced second hand Startset 29163 but I can't get it to work and hope someone might have some insight. I have no experience with these IR controllers.

The set is a simple C track oval with very basic loco and two goods wagons. It has an IR controller and ugly base station/track box permanently attached to one of the straights.

The loco works well - I have run it on my test track with CS3 under address 78 as it should be, and it runs very smoothly right down to slow speed.
The power supply/wallwart is working, delivering 18V no load.
Fresh batteries in the remote control and address switch set to the first position (address 78).
BUT....there is no power output from the basestation, which I guess suggests the basestation is kaputt?
I took the cover off and there's no obvious burnt components.

Am I correct in assuming that as a digital system there should be a constant current from the basestation to the track as per my CS3?
Are these basestations generally reliable or are they known to fail?
Is there any particular components on the basestation PCB I should be focussed on checking? (I doubt my eyes or soldering skills are up to replacing the SMD components but would be willing to give it a crack as a last resort)

My intention was to get a simple layout for my son, which was a step up from his MyWorld battery sets, but kept him away from my good stuff until he's a little older.
So it would be nice to get it running, but I'm not overly concerned if I can't. The set came with extras: an extra wagon, 2 straight turnouts, 1 curved turnout, 2 buffer stops, and some extra straights. The track is all ASA plastic, and everything is in near new condition, so the sum of the (working) parts is worth well over what I paid.

Appreciate any feedback
Cheers
Steve

Steve
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2023 09:22:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Steveknz Go to Quoted Post
Am I correct in assuming that as a digital system there should be a constant current from the basestation to the track as per my CS3?
No. Track power will be turned off after some time of inactivity.
IIRC the remote control has a STOP button that allows turning track power on and off.
Don't assume there is track voltage before pressing any button on the remote control.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Steveknz  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2023 11:28:46(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
Hi Tom

Thanks for the response.
I found some instructions online and the basestation does in fact turn off after 3 minutes of inactivity, and comes back on when another signal is received from the remote.
iI powered off and on and played a concerto on the remote but still no luck. Your response got me thinking though that it could also be a fault with the remote. The basestation may be turning off and if the remote is faulty maybe its not sending a signal to turn back on, but I guess the powering off and on would reset that though.
I found a short online clip of someone using this set and every time a remote control button is pushed the basestation IR receiver lights up - mine doesn't do that, so another indication something is faulty.
Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Steveknz
H0
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2023 11:45:51(UTC)
H0

Maybe take a close look at the remote, take the batteries out, clean the contacts, re-insert the batteries. And eventually give up.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Steveknz  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2023 13:24:41(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
Ha ha - yes, that final option is looking more and more likely
Steve
Offline einotuominen  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2023 21:21:13(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Is the light on the trackbox flickering when you do something with the remote?

-Eino
Offline Steveknz  
#7 Posted : 17 July 2023 00:28:28(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
Hi Eino

No - the light on the trackbox / IR receiver isn't flickering so I think the trackbox is dead.

I've just ordered this new/old stock replacement from Ebay which I thought was a reasonable price, and shipping not too bad to my side of the world.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154308218898?

I will post back whether successful or not. If not successful, THEN I will give up.

Steve
Steve
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Steveknz
Offline Steveknz  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2023 07:02:21(UTC)
Steveknz

New Zealand   
Good news!
My Ebay purchase (replacement IR trackbox) arrived.
I've fitted it to the track and power supply and all is working well. Yay!!

Interestingly though, there is still no light flickering from the IR receiver on the trackbox when a command is sent from the remote, so maybe that's not a thing with all the different variations of the trackbox.

Anyway, happy I got it sorted at a reasonable price.

Steve

Steve
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Steveknz