Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwi  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2006 12:28:47(UTC)
kiwi

hey guys

i have just brought the class 55 loco 37540

and when it arrive from lokshop i had a 72270 Smoke generator kit sent with it, 1 st the kit arrived with out any smoke oil, so i brought some today locally ut not marklin but Sluatle, anyway i insatll the smoke pipe and out in some oil and nothings happening

roughly how long does it take for the smoke to appear, and may i have installed it wrong, or could it have been damged

thanxs

kiwi
Mike. Rebuilding at the moment(c-track,digital) DRG,DB,SBB era 1-4 steamers and the odd electric
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=4561
Offline Guus  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2006 13:22:29(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Michael,

From my own experience,smoke generators tend to be a little problematic.
I suppose you've checked the electrical contacts.
The inside of the chimney often has some paint residue,which hampers conductivity.
Furthermore you could check the smokegenerator-if you've not done so already-by connecting it directly to your transformer.
Start by filling the smokegenerator with a few drops only.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards
Guus

Kind regards,
Guus
Offline DasBert33  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2006 14:05:11(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hi,

I have a 72270 installed in a BR18 (S3/6). Normally the smoke comes out after about 3-5 seconds. Add to the advice from Guus:
- check that you enabled the function for smoke (f1), I don't know what it does in analog mode...
- use a seringe to insert the smoke fluid. See that it gets on the bottom of the smoke generator. If you insert too little oil it will stick to the sides and the middle pipe of the generator due to capillar effects. (anyway a few drops should suffice)
- if you get it working be prepared for a lot of smoke. my 72270 generates a lot more then my normal smoke generators (is also empty a lot quicker)

Bert
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2006 14:09:21(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Another trick that might work: try filling the smoke generator with a cyringe or something like that. Due to the tiny opening of this smoke generator the fluid sometimes doesn't reach the bottom of it because of the air that is locked in by the drop of fluid. Filling it with a cyringe or a hollow needle does sometimes work. By the way: next time I wouldn't order 72270 but Seuthe nr. 20. It's the same generator (Seuthe produces the Märklin generators), but it's delivered with some oil and a needle to fill it with. Price is just a few cents higher.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2006 14:10:43(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hmm... Bert was a little quicker with the SYRINGE... ;-)

(we both messed up with spelling that word)
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline kiwi  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2006 15:11:56(UTC)
kiwi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Sander van Wijk
<br />Another trick that might work: try filling the smoke generator with a cyringe or something like that. Due to the tiny opening of this smoke generator the fluid sometimes doesn't reach the bottom of it because of the air that is locked in by the drop of fluid. Filling it with a cyringe or a hollow needle does sometimes work. By the way: next time I wouldn't order 72270 but Seuthe nr. 20. It's the same generator (Seuthe produces the Märklin generators), but it's delivered with some oil and a needle to fill it with. Price is just a few cents higher.

thanxs sander

i will look in to the seuthe kit

by the way i cause my marklin kit did not come with and smoke oil i brought a bottle bottle of seuthe today,

thanxs again to everyone

kiwi
Mike. Rebuilding at the moment(c-track,digital) DRG,DB,SBB era 1-4 steamers and the odd electric
Offline Transfesa  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2006 14:05:50(UTC)
Transfesa

Hi Kiwi,

I own a BR 055 (37554) and also installed a 72270 smoke unit in it. Since the first day I didn't get fully satisfied with it, first of all because it was very difficult to install and entered very tight into the chimney. Talking about its behaviour, it does an odd rumble sound like small detonations very quickly and it makes too much smoke, so it hardly lasts more than 30 seconds. And sometimes when you start it with F1, it takes about 8-10 seconds until it starts making smoke with a big detonation, just like the whole boiler had exploded [}:)]

I have other two 7226 smoke units and both work very softly, with detonations almost silent and more or less every 1 second (the 72270 makes about 6-8 detonations in a second). They make a bit less smoke and it lasts more than 2 minutes.

I'm thinking about adding one or two diodes in series with the 72270 to check if its behaviour gets better, but I don't know if there is enough room in the small smokebox of the tiny BR 55 [:I]

Kind regards.

Julio Castillo
Madrid, Spain
Offline Hendro  
#8 Posted : 18 August 2007 08:35:36(UTC)
Hendro

Hello,

I am confused in translating Marklin to Seuthe smoke units for digital locs.
Is it Seuthe 10 or Seuthe 11 to replace 7226 ?
Is it Seuthe 20 or Seuthe 21 to replace 72270 ?

Seuthe makes 2 version of each kind, one for analog and another for digital. On the contrary Marklin only provides one of each kind, how can these Marklin smoke generators be suitable for both analog & digital?

Below is specs from Seuthe leaflet:
Replacement for marklin 7226:
#10: 10-16V; 130mA
#11: 16-22V; 70mA
Replacement for marklin 72270:
#20: 10-16V; 120mA
#21: 10-16V; 120mA
#24: 16-22V; 70mA

Can someone clarify?

Thanks
Hendro
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 18 August 2007 15:11:44(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hendro
<br />Below is specs from Seuthe leaflet:
Replacement for marklin 7226:
#10: 10-16V; 130mA
#11: 16-22V; 70mA
Replacement for marklin 72270:
#20: 10-16V; 120mA
#21: 10-16V; 120mA
#24: 16-22V; 70mA

Can someone clarify?

It depends on the wiring inside the loco.
With Delta locos the smoke unit normally is connected to the track power - therefore you need different smoke generators for analog and digital operation.
If the smoke generator is switchable (normally with f1) then you need the 16V version even for digital operation.
7226 is #10, 72270 is #20; some Delta or non-fx locos need #11 or #24 for digital operation.

@kiwi:
BTW: if you switched red and brown wires in the feeder track, the smoke generator may not get enough power to smoke sufficiently. And the smoke generator won't work either with too much smoke fluid in it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Hendro  
#10 Posted : 18 August 2007 16:04:14(UTC)
Hendro

H Zero,

Thanks for the information.
My case is an old (1997) loc . It was delta then modified with hi porp engine & 6090 decoder. I dont remember what smoke unit installed on it but its not smoking now.
Will Seuthe#10 cure my problem?

Thanks.
Hendro
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 18 August 2007 17:58:17(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I use a relay connected to the function output and have the relay switch an analog smoke unit.
see http://layout.mixmox.com...stalling_digital_decoder
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 19 August 2007 00:25:34(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />H Zero,

Thanks for the information.
My case is an old (1997) loc . It was delta then modified with hi porp engine & 6090 decoder. I dont remember what smoke unit installed on it but its not smoking now.
Will Seuthe#10 cure my problem?

Thanks.

Since a 6090 does not control the smoke generator, I think you'll need a #11 smoke generator for digital operation.
Just checked two old catalogues. The 36xx and 37xx steamers I looked at need #11 or #24 smoke generators.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Hendro  
#13 Posted : 19 August 2007 09:21:05(UTC)
Hendro

H-Zero,

What happens if i installed #11 where it should #10.
What happens vice versa.
One will render not-smoking the other will cause decoder damage.

thanks.
Hendro
Offline Hendro  
#14 Posted : 19 August 2007 12:13:59(UTC)
Hendro

New finding:
-i dig out old (1977) invoices and find out it is #11 (16-22Volt) as suggested by 6090 manual
-i took out smoke unit from loc body and hot wired the smoke's casing & the smoke's pin to the tracks, it smokes beautifully.
-then i kept the casing hot wired and laid the pin on the loc's smoke prong - it didnt even get warm
-i measured the prong voltage - it reads only 6Volt.

It is the 6090's fault all this time, i ve been investigating the wrong side.

I hope others can learn my experience if they have smoke problem.
Hendro
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 19 August 2007 22:51:47(UTC)
H0

Quote:
It is the 6090's fault all this time, i ve been investigating the wrong side.

AFAIK the 6090 is not switching the current to the smoke generator, therefore I cannot believe this should be a decoder problem.
And remember that you cannot measure digital track voltage with a cheapo AC volt meter. The volt meter can handle symmetric sine waves, but the digital voltage is asymmetric non-sine waves.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#16 Posted : 20 August 2007 14:26:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mike,

I put a Seuthe generator (I think it is #10), in my digital class 50, and it works well.
Before fitting, I used a small needle file to scrape away any paint inside the chimney, so the sleeve made good electrical contact.

However, I have to be very careful how the fluid goes in. Sometimes it spills over, and around the sleeve. I believe this may act as an insulator between the sleeve and the chimney, because it takes about 5 minutes to start smoking.

I believe the syringe must be filled only with 2mls of fluid (that is a guess), so that it does not overflow. Then you need steady hands, and accurate aiming.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline kiwi  
#17 Posted : 20 August 2007 14:30:51(UTC)
kiwi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />Hi Mike,

I put a Seuthe generator (I think it is #10), in my digital class 50, and it works well.
Before fitting, I used a small needle file to scrape away any paint inside the chimney, so the sleeve made good electrical contact.

However, I have to be very careful how the fluid goes in. Sometimes it spills over, and around the sleeve. I believe this may act as an insulator between the sleeve and the chimney, because it takes about 5 minutes to start smoking.

I believe the syringe must be filled only with 2mls of fluid (that is a guess), so that it does not overflow. Then you need steady hands, and accurate aiming.

regards
Kimball

thanxs for the info
Offline Hendro  
#18 Posted : 29 December 2007 10:55:41(UTC)
Hendro

Final truth of my smoke problem:
My two dealer suggested the #10 (analog) for my digital layout for reason i cant understand. I replaced the #11(digital) with a new #10(analog), smoke comes beautifully.
Note that the old #11 (digital) produces good smoke when hot wired to the track, meaning its not broken.

I'd conclude : (I could be wrong)
1. the original Seuthe specification is not 100% right to follow.
2. h-zero quotes is best to follow in reality , he quotes "If the smoke generator is switchable (normally with f1) then you need the 16V version even for digital operation. 7226 is #10, 72270 is #20"
3. ESU HO decoders maximum output is 200mA, safe to feed power to the smoke generators
Hendro
Offline Nugget  
#19 Posted : 27 April 2008 19:36:12(UTC)
Nugget

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />I use a relay connected to the function output and have the relay switch an analog smoke unit.
see http://layout.mixmox.com...stalling_digital_decoder

Hi Dale
Looking for information about smoke units and found your post about using a relay. I just installed a LokSound unit in a 3084 and installed a Seuthe #10 per ESU instructions. Tried diff settings for CV115 (15 & 111). If I use a magnifying glass I can see some smoke coming out. Is the relay the only way to make this work? If so can you supply a part number of the one you use? If I hook the smoke unit direct to the tack it does work.

Thanks for a reply
Kevin
MÃrklin M track | ECoS 3.0| Lenz LS-150 | LDT RMDEC-88OG |ESU SwitchPilot
Offline DaleSchultz  
#20 Posted : 27 April 2008 21:03:30(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Hi Kevin,

my guess is that the function output of the decoder is too low to get the smoke going. This is because you say the smoke unit works when connected to track power but almost no smoke is produced when connected to the decoder.

Possible reasons:
1) the decoder output is not at full power - check the CV values of the function output to ensure it is not set to be at full power (Eg dimmed lighting). Also check that the function output is not trying to simulate some special lighting pattern (such as flashing)
2) check that you are getting a good ground return through the unit - is there paint on the inside of the chimney that is preventing good contact etc...

Connect a small light bulb to the outputs instead of the smoke unit just to see if you are getting power out of the decoder properly.

The relay I used is from Radio Shack part 275-241A
I use the relay to avoid overloading the decoder as the smoke units can draw a lot of current.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com