Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dfk  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2023 17:40:06(UTC)
dfk

United States   
Hi all, I have been using the forums as a great resource for some time, but this is my first post. I'm looking for suggestions on a good solution to an annoying problem -- the lights on my uncoupler masts do not light up.

Here's the situation:

- Light bulbs all work well in tests.
- I have 3 light masts and 6 C-track uncouplers, and it's the same behavior with all of them.

- I'm controlling the uncouplers digitally with a CS2 and a k-74 decoder.
- I know the k-74 is a rare, really old model, and maybe the source of the problem is simply the k74 is not the right tool for the job -- I sort of accidentally bought it on ebay thinking that I was bidding on a newer model decoder.
- However, it seems to be working ok. I was able to program the k74 to a new address and it seems to be receiving commands just fine in DCC mode.
- The uncouplers function, i.e., they go up/down when I activate them digitally, although very briefly--just a quick up/down.
- 99% of the time, the lights on the masts do not come on. Occasionally, I will see a very short flash, but this is quite rare.

Is it possible that the pulse the decoder sends to the uncoupler may be so short that the light bulbs do not have time to light up to a perceptible level? If so, is there any way to change this in my CS2 or decoder settings? I did try to bump up the switch activation time in the CS2, e.g., 1000ms, 2000ms, 5000ms... However, this doesn't give the results I was expecting. Instead of the uncoupler staying the the 'up' state longer, it goes up/down at 0ms, up/down at 500ms, up/down at 1000ms, etc.. I have never tried the uncouplers with a m83 or k83, so I'm not sure... is this the expected behavior when increasing the switching time?

Any suggestions for a fix / cheap workaround or... just get a different decoder? Thanks,
Dan

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2023 18:06:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dfk Go to Quoted Post

Is it possible that the pulse the decoder sends to the uncoupler may be so short that the light bulbs do not have time to light up to a perceptible level?

Yes, that will be why the light doesn't blink.

Originally Posted by: dfk Go to Quoted Post

If so, is there any way to change this in my CS2 or decoder settings?

I doubt there are any settings you can change. I'm not familiar with that decoder, but it sounds like it has a fixed pulse time.

One way you could get the lamp to visibly blink would be to change it for an LED. I believe there are LEDs available that will drop into the Marklin sockets without modifying anything, but I don't have relevant details. I'll leave it to others who have done such replacements to provide details of where they sourced the LEds.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2023 18:18:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dan
A warm welcome to this great forum of Märklin friends
Here are a few possibilities:
- the K84 (6084) is a bistable relay output and is not recommended for use with a uncoupler (you may forget it on). With it you need to provide an external power source to energize theuncoupler.
- the K83 (6083) is a transistor-controlled set of outputs As long as you push the button on your CSx (CS1, CS2, CS3 and keyboard/6021) the solenoid remains activated (and so the light should be). Drawback: if the K83 "misses" the switch-off order from the CS or CU, then the solenoid burns and in return, its burns the output transitor in the M83.
- the M83 (60832) is the up-to-date module to drive the uncouplers. The standard duration is 200 mS so the light will not be seen. It can be programmed for longer activations but past 1.5 seconds, the M83 switches to burts of activation (sound like a submachine gun).

So which is which in your case, I am not sure
Cheers
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2023 18:34:27(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Drawback: if the K83 "misses" the switch-off order from the CS or CU, then the solenoid burns and in return, its burns the output transitor in the M83.

Really? Damn. I’m controlling my uncouplers with K83. Maybe I should update to M83 if both, the uncoupler and the decoder gets fried at the same time. How on earth Märklin released such a device 🤷‍♂️

BR,
Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2023 22:03:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Really? Damn. I’m controlling my uncouplers with K83. Maybe I should update to M83 if both, the uncoupler and the decoder gets fried at the same time. How on earth Märklin released such a device 🤷‍♂️

No, on the contrary, these old decoders are especially werll suited for uncouplers and for marklin 7051 cranes
cheers
jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB