Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roland  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2023 02:16:06(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
With 12 MFX lokos on the layout, about a half dozen passenger cars with LEDs, and 10 Viessmann 52292 signal decoders (only 2 signals connected at the moment), according to my CS3 Plus, voltage is at 19.2V and current is at 1.03 amps. If my understanding and math are correct (V x A = P), this works out to roughly 20 watts of power being drawn. If I add one more Viessmann decoder or run one of the lokos with some light/sound functions on, I get "An overload situation has occurred at Device GFP3-1 - Channel 1" error on the CS3.

UserPostedImage

The 60065 Switched Mode Power Pack is rated for 50W and the CS3 Plus for 5 amps max. Given the CS3 states I’m under the wattage and amperage limits, I'm trying to understand why I'm seeing an overload error. Is it possible the CS3 amp measurement is incorrect and I am in fact approaching the limits (I wouldn't be surprised as 20W seems a bit low for what I have connected)? Or some other potential cause of an overload?

Thanks,
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2023 08:02:26(UTC)
H0

The CS3 can be set to a 3 A mode (for the German 60 VA power supply) or a 5 A mode (100 VA power supply).
I never understood how the CS3 should work fine in 3 A mode with a power supply that only delivers 2.5 A. But you should be far below 2 A anyway on average.

Capacitors to reduce flickering need a resistor to limit the current while loading. Maybe short pikes in the current draw are the problem.
How are interior lights wires? Capacitors without limiting resistors?

Also check which transformer ref. number is configured in the CS3.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Roland  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2023 15:43:50(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The CS3 can be set to a 3 A mode (for the German 60 VA power supply) or a 5 A mode (100 VA power supply).
I never understood how the CS3 should work fine in 3 A mode with a power supply that only delivers 2.5 A. But you should be far below 2 A anyway on average.

Capacitors to reduce flickering need a resistor to limit the current while loading. Maybe short pikes in the current draw are the problem.
How are interior lights wires? Capacitors without limiting resistors?

Also check which transformer ref. number is configured in the CS3.

Hi HO,

Where is the setting for 3A / 5A? I don't see this within the interface. FYI I just tried upgrading to version 2.4.1 of the CS3 software. I still see it overload if I add one more 52292 decoder, however, if I run a loko with functions enabled, it so far has not overloaded and I can see amps climb to 1.08 (prior to the update, this would have caused an overload within a second or two).

The interior lighting is all factory installed by Marklin - no capacitors that I'm aware of. I have the 43570 set as well as three add-on 43571, a 4298 with a pickup shoe and rear light, and a 42167 set where the end car has a pickup shoe and lighting.

Regarding the transformer, I have a 60065, however this does not show in the list. 60061 is currently selected which I assume is the default.

In case it's relevant, my bus lines are 14ga and I have 22ga drops to the track on the layout every 100-150cm. I have a dedicated 14ga bus running to the group of Viessmann 52292 signal decoders which are chained 4, 4, and 5 using 22ga wiring. Per the Viessmann documentation, each 52292 decoder operates at 85mA. Is it possible that chaining them is causing a problem? Or that 13 decoders is too much for a 14ga bus line?

To confirm, it seems you agree that my CS3 should be able to handle well beyond 1.0X amps before experiencing an overload?

Thanks,
Roland
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2023 16:24:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
To confirm, it seems you agree that my CS3 should be able to handle well beyond 1.0X amps before experiencing an overload?
With power supply configures as 60061, the CS3 should be able to handle 3 A on the main line output.

Apropos: Did you connect the layout to the programming track output of the CS3? Same plugs, different icons.
The programming track has a limit of about 1 A, so this could explain the issue.

The CS3 should give you two readings, one for the main line, one for the programming track. Does it show 1.08 A for the main line?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Roland  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2023 17:43:54(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
With power supply configures as 60061, the CS3 should be able to handle 3 A on the main line output.

Apropos: Did you connect the layout to the programming track output of the CS3? Same plugs, different icons.
The programming track has a limit of about 1 A, so this could explain the issue.

The CS3 should give you two readings, one for the main line, one for the programming track. Does it show 1.08 A for the main line?

Yes, CS3 shows 1.0x A for the main line. I've just double checked that my buses are connected to the Hauptgleis port. Programming track is constantly at 0.012A connected to ~50cm of track with nothing on it currently.

After further testing, occasionally if running a loko with lights and loko sounds enabled, it will overload. Sometimes it'll continue to run just fine and show 1.08-1.09A. With no lokos running, it shows 1.02-1.03A, and if I connect an additional 52292 decoder, it always overloads immediately after enabling track power. I've tried multiple different 52292 units to eliminate a faulty unit being the issue.

I should also mention I have roughly 30 Viessmann 5211 turnout decoders connected to track power, but I believe they do not draw any significant power unless activated (which I am not in any of my testing). Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I've recently bought a 60175 booster and 60045 switched mode power pack that I have not yet hooked up, as I wanted to try and fully understand if I'm really at the limits of the CS3 already. I think I'll try powering the 52292 decoder bus with the booster and see what A readings I get as a test.

As a comparable, how many amps are others up to using a CS3+ and 60061/65 power pack?
Offline Roland  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2023 03:23:55(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
I've done some further testing today and all signs seem to indicate the issue lies with the CS3. When there is more than 1.03A (on the main track) and I enable track power, the CS3 throws an overload error. If I disconnect one decoder or remove one train bringing the A down slightly, I can enable power again just fine and then run trains (during which time amperage can rise above 1.03A). It seems the issue is only at power on. I can replicate the issue regardless which of my bus lines I add the decoder/train to, so I am confident it is not a wiring load issue.

The most important evidence is that I can unplug the Main track/Hauptgleis port from the CS3 and plug it into my 60175 Booster and when I enable power, the Booster powers everything just fine. I even connected multiple additional V52292 decoders and added a couple more locos to the track (one by one, testing power each time) bringing the current up to 1.2A with no issues whatsoever stopping and re-enabling power.

My local dealer has reached out to Märklin for advice.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Roland
Online marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2023 12:00:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
This may be the same problem I had when I ran a second feed wire to the far end of my layout. I didn't see why it was doing it. As it turned out, I don't even need a second feed. The booster in the CS3 is enough for my track route.