Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2023 12:44:00(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

Since I only have MS2 and the Decoder programmer, it is a big and a risky job to change certain decoder settings. I'm afraid that I break the pins or the decoder if I move it back and forth between loco and programmer.

So the question is, can I change AUX 1 dimmer value with a CV and how is the CV value formed? I run DCC.

I need to increase the intensity of smoke generators as I'm not happy with the amount of smoke I get. All steam locos I have, have got the Aux 1 type set to smoke generator, but I have previously lowered the dimmer value. Now I want to increase it.

Thanks!

-Eino
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2023 20:18:24(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Since I only have MS2 and the Decoder programmer, it is a big and a risky job to change certain decoder settings. I'm afraid that I break the pins or the decoder if I move it back and forth between loco and programmer.

So the question is, can I change AUX 1 dimmer value with a CV and how is the CV value formed? I run DCC.

I need to increase the intensity of smoke generators as I'm not happy with the amount of smoke I get. All steam locos I have, have got the Aux 1 type set to smoke generator, but I have previously lowered the dimmer value. Now I want to increase it.

Thanks!

-Eino

Short answer is no!
You need special smoke generator so you can adjust value with two difference CV adress:
1. Fan speed
2. Heating temperature
ESU loksound 5 do have this possible with ESU special smoke generator.

Märklins steam locomotive fits with standard smoke generator by Seuthe and in this case there is no possible by change dimmer value with mfx/DCC decoder.
Smoke generator by Seuthe are just only voltage on and off via function decoder or sound decoder.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2023 20:23:05(UTC)
H0

Yes, you can.
Check the decoder manual for the CVs you have to change. Depends on the type of decoder (MSD or MLD, MSD/3 or MLD/3).

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Märklins steam locomotive fits with standard smoke generator by Seuthe and in this case there is no possible by change dimmer value with mfx/DCC decoder.
Smoke generator by Seuthe are just only voltage on and off via function decoder or sound decoder.
Nonsense. I've been there and done that.
Eino was there and reduced the intensity of the smoke generator.

A function output set to smoke generator mode reduces the smoke while the loco is standing and increases it while the loco is running.
Maximum value for smoke output can be adjusted in the range 0 to 255.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2023 22:00:43(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, you can.
Check the decoder manual for the CVs you have to change. Depends on the type of decoder (MSD or MLD, MSD/3 or MLD/3).

Nonsense. I've been there and done that.
Eino was there and reduced the intensity of the smoke generator.

A function output set to smoke generator mode reduces the smoke while the loco is standing and increases it while the loco is running.
Maximum value for smoke output can be adjusted in the range 0 to 255.

I have decoders manual and there is no information standing about smoke exhaust.
What CV adress is it?
H0
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2023 22:09:15(UTC)
H0

What CV adress is it?
That depends on the decoder. All mfx decoders from Märklin or ESU allow the AUX output to be set to the smoke generator mode. Then use use the regular output level CV for that AUX output to set the intensity.

In case of MLD and MSD, CV 118 sets the mode of AUX1, CV 119 sets the level of AUX1, and CV 120 sets the period for AUX1 (if you select a mode with a timing - not relevant for smoke generator mode).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2023 01:46:42(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
Of course that sort of information is not available in the standard manual, after all we are talking of Marklin products....LOL
But, if you kinda like explore things, all the options are available in the CS2 and 3 for mfx decoders in the configuration page and i must say that it is very easy to do the configuration.
If you prefer DCC you have to go the marklin page to get a more complete CV list as stated in the manual
In the case of mLD3 CVs are 120 to 123 for AUX1
https://www.maerklin.de/...onen/CV-Tabelle-mSD3.pdf
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2023 08:06:33(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
What CV adress is it?
That depends on the decoder. All mfx decoders from Märklin or ESU allow the AUX output to be set to the smoke generator mode. Then use use the regular output level CV for that AUX output to set the intensity.

In case of MLD and MSD, CV 118 sets the mode of AUX1, CV 119 sets the level of AUX1, and CV 120 sets the period for AUX1 (if you select a mode with a timing - not relevant for smoke generator mode).

So setting CV119 to value of 255 will give max output (or how should you call it in case of pwm?), right?

The decoder is mSD3

-Eino
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2023 08:40:34(UTC)
H0

The decoder is mSD3
My post is about MSD. For MSD/3, please refer to the table linked by Francisco.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline einotuominen  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2023 09:06:52(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
The decoder is mSD3
My post is about MSD. For MSD/3, please refer to the table linked by Francisco.

Ah! So from this I understand that the dimmer for aux1 is at CV 121?

IMG_2832.jpeg

Edit: ah, missed the last part of Francisco’s post. Thanks Francisco!
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2023 05:14:07(UTC)
Goofy

A interesting is that Märklin haven´t present configuration what value it stand for the AUX 1 when you buy steam locomotive.
I suppose the value stand at maximum by factory.
This is sad that Märklin are bad with information and still not have show with a video about how to set the AUX 1 that are for the smoke exhaust.
H0
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 06 July 2023 07:53:46(UTC)
H0

A interesting is that Märklin haven´t present configuration what value it stand for the AUX 1 when you buy steam locomotive.
I suppose the value stand at maximum by factory.
This is sad that Märklin are bad with information and still not have show with a video about how to set the AUX 1 that are for the smoke exhaust.
The value shows when you change it with a Central Station 1, 2, or 3 using mfx. You can read the value using DCC.
Yes, Märklin hardly ever show default values in the loco manuals - unlike other manufacturers. That's an issue for people using devices that cannot read the CVs, but it's not really sad.
And for smoke it is usually the maximum value.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage