Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2023 04:40:00(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I have three MS2 style mobile stations. I have an older grey version and a black one both carrying SW version V3.112 along with a newer black version with SW version V3.148 - as well as the hardcopy manuals that came with them.

The two black versions are used together to control my locos and I haven't encountered any problems during operation. However, I don't seem to be able to move the newest one from German to English.

I connect them individually and follow the exact same process as set out in the manuals and I can easily change the language of the two older units to whatever I want but the newer V3.148 MS2 just stays put on German.

I note that the language files in the two old units are V2.9 and the later one is V3.0 - is this somehow relevant? Is factory reset worth a try? Is there some Marklin Magic setting that I have missed?

Cheers and thanks, Mark.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2023 18:20:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark
Not sure I can help. I have an MS2
When connected to the trackbox 60116, it gives:
- Serial number 179606
- s/w V3.148
- LDB V014 (LDB= Laden Daten Bank? meaning loader version. Not sure)
- Language data V3.142

It is part of a starterset 29243, manufactured Q3 or Q4 2022
Language can be changed (I tried English and French)

When connected to my CS3, I have access to all fonctions (some are different from the ones with a 60116).
Using a CS2 or CS3 connected to the Internet, you may force the latest update including the language data (Library)
Have you tried to re-init your MS2?

- push SHIFT and ACCESSORY keys
- scroll down to "Werkstatteinstellungen", "Factory Default Settings" or "Parametres d'usine" depending on the language you have (Ger, Eng, Fre)
- push the key left of this text and wait for re-initialisation.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 24 June 2023 20:03:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Connecting again my CS3 (60226) to internet and to my MS2, I am, proposed a new update
cs3_screenshot_2023_06_24_17_36_25.png
Apparently,
- the CS3 software is still the same V2.4.1(0) (green dot)
- the GFP seems unchanged V12.113 (green dot)
- the MS2 needs updating (red dot) and now a version V4.1 is proposed

After downloading the MS2 Update
- SNR (serial number (unchanged) 179606
- SW V 4.1
- HW V 2.2
- LDB V 016 (2021/3)
- Language 4.1
- Filesystem at main device V12

So the last version for the MS2 is now V4.1

When the MS2 is connected again to the trackbox 60116, I am proposed an update from 147 to 162

So the last version for the track box is now 162

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline revmox  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2023 00:07:15(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi JohnjeanB and thanks for your extensive reply.

Coincidently, the problem MS2 also came from a 29243 starter set. I have tried the factory reset as you suggested and the process seems to run without any problems and resets the MS2 back to default conditions. However, the language selection issue remains.

I have enough bits on hand to have all three MS2 controllers to set up individually but side-by-side and to go through identical key press sequences. The two older units change language but the new one does not.

From your reply I am now pretty confident that I am not doing something wrong and the unit does indeed have some sort of software issue.

I don't have a CS3 or know anyone locally who has one so I will send the MS2 back to the dealer and hopefully have them resolve the problem.

Cheers and thanks,

Mark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline revmox  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2023 00:34:41(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
The problem MS2 is back from my friendly local dealer.

He just upgraded it to software version 4.1 and I can now select English and everything seems to work fine. I then used it to update my other MS2's and the trackbox to the latest software release.

When using two MS2s together I note that at turn on the Auxiliary Unit always displays "Data Transfer Activity" for about 20 seconds which I assume is it making sure it is in step with the Master Unit before each session.

Can anyone confirm this is what should happen as Marklin's information on operating dual MS2's is pretty basic?

Cheers.

Edit - this latest comment from my dealer - with permission.

My understanding and reading Marklin’s latest advice - there was a glitch in the software and the update fixed it.
I suspect some of MS2 modellers faced the same situation as you experienced and informed Marklin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 10 July 2023 09:37:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post
When using two MS2s together I note that at turn on the Auxiliary Unit always displays "Data Transfer Activity" for about 20 seconds which I assume is it making sure it is in step with the Master Unit before each session.

Can anyone confirm this is what should happen as Marklin's information on operating dual MS2's is pretty basic?
I didn't try dual operation with v 4.1 yet, but I can confirm that v 3.148 already behaves like that. Not sure if it takes 20 seconds, but it takes frigging long if you try to switch locos on the Slave unit to prevent an accident.
I don't recall when this changed. Before the change you could change locos on the slave unit as quickly as on the master unit.
IIRC the change came when the bottom of the screen switched from 11 entries to 40 entries.
Off topic: I liked it better when there were just 11 locos out of a list of 40 at the bottom of the screen. Back then, you could sort those 11 locos manually as you liked it (issue discussed in another thread).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0