Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MtrackJai  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2023 18:00:31(UTC)
MtrackJai

Canada   
Greetings,

I am running an old-school M-track layout. I have a couple of power supplies and isolate the tracks so that I can run two trains at once.

I am thinking of converting to digital, I saw the post about how to convert my locomotives to digital. Thanks for that.

What is the best way to convert? I live in Canada, so I used 120v power.

What should I watch out for?

I am assuming that I could run more than two trains from one controller?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.

Jai
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2023 18:55:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: MtrackJai Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,

I am running an old-school M-track layout. I have a couple of power supplies and isolate the tracks so that I can run two trains at once.

I am thinking of converting to digital, I saw the post about how to convert my locomotives to digital. Thanks for that.

Jai

Hi Jai
I ran Märklin analogue trains from 1961 until 1986.
Then I ran Märklin digital using 6020, 6021 Central Units and then 60212, 60215 and now 60226 (CS3)
Since 2013, I went one step further and use Rocrail (computer-based software to drive trains and manage occupancies

If you have a mojority of Märklin devices, I would recommend a CS3 as it can:
- drive digital locos under the Motorola, DCC and MFX protocols
- parameterize in a very sophisticated way complex parameters all with user friendlyness
- program sounds on Märklin decoders
- access the entire family of digital devices.
- benefit from permanent Märklin improvements
- available power is up to 100 W for a CS3 and / or for each additional booster
- automatization of the layout using the S88 modules
- of course 120 VAC and US plugs are not an issue for Märklin

In the Märklin range, you have a less-costly approach in using one MS2, with its track box and its 36 W powersupply

Could you run more than 2 trains at a time.?
- with a CS3, this is easy as you have already 2 controllers (2 different trains)
- with a MS2 it is trickyer as you need to select another train "on the fly"
- with a CS3 and automation ("Events") and using signals and their stop zone, you may drive a large number of trains at the same time
- using some tricks, you may even manage your CS3 to send digital orders to your trains (start, stop, set speed, set horn, etc).

How to convert from analog to digital?
- usually locos are converted first. In the Märklin world, this is about replacing the direction relay by a mLD3 or mSD3 decoder.
- the loco conversion may include the motor conversion (from an AC motor to a DC-5-pole motors
- the solenoid-operated item may remain analog at first and then converted to digital using M83 decoders (60832)
- if you plan for mix operation on your layout (analog AND digital) be sure to separate the 2 zones and even remove connecting track to avoid a digital disaster

How much power do I need?
- Power is mostly absorbed by motors and light bulbs so old locos need a 10 VA power while recent, sound ones need 2 to 3 VA
- try to convert most car lighting to LEDs as the needed power is much less
- try to avoid using very old Märklin locos: I have a DL800, CCS800 with a very large motor that needs 20 to 30 VA

Here is my layout powered by a single Central Station (CS2 at the time, now a CS3) with a 100 W power supply for 26 locos and plenty of lighted trains.
The total need is between 2.9 to 3.3A when a total of 5 A is available

The automatic operation you see is managed by Rocrail (one step further beyond digital). Let me know if you are interested
Cheers
Jean

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline heinrichhess  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2023 19:28:56(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
I agree with johneanB however from a cost point running 2 (MS2) and keep all turnouts running on analog and I have kept isolated signals in hidden places as sound and smoke will stop it just depends how far into digital you want to enter

Hess
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2023 22:11:37(UTC)
Goofy

Since you are beginner of the digital i recommended you start with a MS2, if not less you can also use other competitors digital system.
Märklin allows DCC protocol in the new digital locomotives so that´s way it´s good to have a system that support DCC too.
You can do any thing with the digital system when you control the layout and there is a lot of fun.
Just take a small step and if you have friends that also plays with the train toys, just ask them about digital.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline MtrackJai  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2023 22:51:13(UTC)
MtrackJai

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MtrackJai Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,

Jai

Hi Jai
I ran Märklin analogue trains from 1961 until 1986.
Then I ran Märklin digital using 6020, 6021 Central Units and then 60212, 60215 and now 60226 (CS3)
Since 2013, I went one step further and use Rocrail (computer-based software to drive trains and manage occupancies

If you have a mojority of Märklin devices, I would recommend a CS3 as it can:
- drive digital locos under the Motorola, DCC and MFX protocols
- parameterize in a very sophisticated way complex parameters all with user friendlyness
- program sounds on Märklin decoders
- access the entire family of digital devices.
- benefit from permanent Märklin improvements
- available power is up to 100 W for a CS3 and / or for each additional booster
- automatization of the layout using the S88 modules
- of course 120 VAC and US plugs are not an issue for Märklin

In the Märklin range, you have a less-costly approach in using one MS2, with its track box and its 36 W powersupply

Could you run more than 2 trains at a time.?
- with a CS3, this is easy as you have already 2 controllers (2 different trains)
- with a MS2 it is trickyer as you need to select another train "on the fly"
- with a CS3 and automation ("Events") and using signals and their stop zone, you may drive a large number of trains at the same time
- using some tricks, you may even manage your CS3 to send digital orders to your trains (start, stop, set speed, set horn, etc).

How to convert from analog to digital?
- usually locos are converted first. In the Märklin world, this is about replacing the direction relay by a mLD3 or mSD3 decoder.
- the loco conversion may include the motor conversion (from an AC motor to a DC-5-pole motors
- the solenoid-operated item may remain analog at first and then converted to digital using M83 decoders (60832)
- if you plan for mix operation on your layout (analog AND digital) be sure to separate the 2 zones and even remove connecting track to avoid a digital disaster

How much power do I need?
- Power is mostly absorbed by motors and light bulbs so old locos need a 10 VA power while recent, sound ones need 2 to 3 VA
- try to convert most car lighting to LEDs as the needed power is much less
- try to avoid using very old Märklin locos: I have a DL800, CCS800 with a very large motor that needs 20 to 30 VA

Here is my layout powered by a single Central Station (CS2 at the time, now a CS3) with a 100 W power supply for 26 locos and plenty of lighted trains.
The total need is between 2.9 to 3.3A when a total of 5 A is available

The automatic operation you see is managed by Rocrail (one step further beyond digital). Let me know if you are interested
Cheers
Jean

Wow! Thank you for the detailed information, you have given me a lot to think about. I will post here when I make a final decision. Thanks again!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MtrackJai
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 24 June 2023 18:54:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Marklin book on running digital will give you most you need and is worth buying.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 27 June 2023 10:13:49(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The book that Dave speaks about is available in English and German.
It is called Digital Control using the Central Station 3 and I have both of these.
English version 03082 <------ clicking on this takes you to the Märklin database and details.
German version 03083

But if you purchase a starter train set complete with a Mobile Station digital controller (60657), you usually get a booklet that has more straight-forward explanations about the digital control system.
I believe the booklet is much more logical and easier to follow than the above books for the Central Station 3.
A starter train set might be $250 or more. Set #29467 is an example.

If you prefer to buy a digital-ready locomotive of your preference, or convert one of your old locomotives, I suggest buying the Märklin 29000 track and controller set.
This includes the explanation booklet which I recommend.
You get the 60657 controller and an oval of the latest C track which you will find useful for test and familiarity purposes.
Cost is Euro199 in Europe but you can find Märklin dealers in Canada.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow