Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline garben  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2023 17:17:09(UTC)
garben

United States   
Hello,

I'm about to add a few of the Marklin Circuit Tracks to my layout for train detection. I know this track can detect direction of the locomotive as the shoe hits the toggle switch on the track. Each direction has a separate wire to connect each to a separate input on the S-88.

My question is, can Train Controller determine the direction of the train, and can I set up separate stop and brake in each directions in a block? This way I could just connect the wires together from each direction of the track and save and input on my S-88.

Hope this make sense.

I would love to hear any thoughts or experience.

Thank you very much!
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2023 19:53:01(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

If you’re usin TC10 gold then start reading page 62 in the manual. If bronze or silver find eq page in corresponding manual.

Peder
Offline Kiko  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2023 20:11:02(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post
My question is, can Train Controller determine the direction of the train, and can I set up separate stop and brake in each directions in a block? This way I could just connect the wires together from each direction of the track and save and input on my S-88.

Hello Garben,

There is no need for "direction dependent" gizmos in TC. Train detection via various methods (in your case Circuit Tracks) is just a means to send a signal to TC that something is at a specific location on your layout. When you start TC, it knows the location of all rolling stock on the layout (how it does that is another topic). From that point on, when anything moves on the layout under control of TC (i.e., not via some remote, non-interfaced, manual control), TC will track the movement and display that rolling stock on your Switchboard. When you create Blocks in TC, you have to assign "Brake" and "Stop" markers in each block (note: if you don't, then TC will create its own -- another topic). Those "Brake" and "Stop" markers are direction dependent and you can specify distances, approach speeds, etc. It's hard to explain everything in one little paragraph and as Pederbc stated -- it's best to read the manual. However, that's also not easy and the best way forward is to experiment. That's how I started -- you can't hurt anything in TC by experimenting! Smile

If you have specific questions, I'll always try to help out.
Cheers,
Andry
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
Offline garben  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2023 20:34:40(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post

Hello Garben,

There is no need for "direction dependent" gizmos in TC. Train detection via various methods (in your case Circuit Tracks) is just a means to send a signal to TC that something is at a specific location on your layout. When you start TC, it knows the location of all rolling stock on the layout (how it does that is another topic). From that point on, when anything moves on the layout under control of TC (i.e., not via some remote, non-interfaced, manual control), TC will track the movement and display that rolling stock on your Switchboard. When you create Blocks in TC, you have to assign "Brake" and "Stop" markers in each block (note: if you don't, then TC will create its own -- another topic). Those "Brake" and "Stop" markers are direction dependent and you can specify distances, approach speeds, etc. It's hard to explain everything in one little paragraph and as Pederbc stated -- it's best to read the manual. However, that's also not easy and the best way forward is to experiment. That's how I started -- you can't hurt anything in TC by experimenting! Smile

If you have specific questions, I'll always try to help out.
Cheers,
Andry

That's exactly what I was hoping for. I will experiment now, just wanted some confirmation I wouldn't blow anything up. LOL.

Thanks for your reply.

Norbert

PS Had success with the speed profiling, trains are stopping where I expect them to. Thanks for your help with that too.
Offline garben  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2023 20:41:13(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

If you’re usin TC10 gold then start reading page 62 in the manual. If bronze or silver find eq page in corresponding manual.

Peder

I looked initially didn't find anything and I assumed it wouldn't talk about connecting the two wires from a Marklin Circuit track to one port on a S-88. I will take another look.

Thanks.
Offline pederbc  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2023 21:22:57(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
My advise is to use an s88 input for each contact. That will make it easier to keep the block status in sync. You could possibly connect the two together but you will need flagmans (ie memory) to detect if the lok is entering or leaving. You will still need flagmans with separate inputs but it will be easier to keep in sync. I hope this makes sense. Which version of TC are you using, and what track system? (M, K or C)

Example: a block with contact track on each side. Left sides contacts (1 and 2), right sides contacrs (A and B).

Create a flagman named Left_Entry and a flagman Right_Entry. When the lok enters from left it will hit the ”1” contact. Use it to trigger the Left_Entry. Use Left_Entry as the left side break marker. This will also trigger the ocupation of the block. Now even when the lok has passed the contact the Left_Entry is still active. When the lok hits the ”A” contact it is used as stop marker and the lok halts. Now you will need the entry contact in the next block to reset the Left_Entry which in turn will show the block as unoccupied. This is the principle. I really hope I make sense :-).

If you connect the contacts together you will need more flagmens to keep track of the meaning of the contacts which will make it hard to keep in sync. Also keep in mind that there will be waggons behind the lok to keep track of as well.

There is a steep learning curve to TC, but read the manual a step at the time and keep testing. But give it time and you will love the program.

Best of luck, Peder

Offline Kiko  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2023 23:03:12(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
My advise is to use an s88 input for each contact. That will make it easier to keep the block status in sync. You could possibly connect the two together but you will need flagmans (ie memory) to detect if the lok is entering or leaving. You will still need flagmans with separate inputs but it will be easier to keep in sync. I hope this makes sense. Which version of TC are you using, and what track system? (M, K or C)

Example: a block with contact track on each side. Left sides contacts (1 and 2), right sides contacrs (A and B).

Create a flagman named Left_Entry and a flagman Right_Entry. When the lok enters from left it will hit the ”1” contact. Use it to trigger the Left_Entry. Use Left_Entry as the left side break marker. This will also trigger the ocupation of the block. Now even when the lok has passed the contact the Left_Entry is still active. When the lok hits the ”A” contact it is used as stop marker and the lok halts. Now you will need the entry contact in the next block to reset the Left_Entry which in turn will show the block as unoccupied. This is the principle. I really hope I make sense :-).

If you connect the contacts together you will need more flagmens to keep track of the meaning of the contacts which will make it hard to keep in sync. Also keep in mind that there will be waggons behind the lok to keep track of as well.

There is a steep learning curve to TC, but read the manual a step at the time and keep testing. But give it time and you will love the program.

Best of luck, Peder

Hello Peder and Norbert,

I'm not sure why "Flagmen" are required at all. Maybe we're talking about different versions of TC -- I use TC Gold (Ver. 9)... Also, I'm not sure why you would not tie together the two inputs from the Circuit Track thus providing one s88 input? As long as TC tracks a train, it knows exactly where that train is, in which direction it's heading, and at what speed that train is going.

When a train travels on the layout, TC will clear a previous block when the next block is reached (i.e., the triggering of Contacts sequentially throughout a train's travel path). Also, TC reserves blocks ahead of the train's path to ensure smooth running. If a block ahead of a train can't be reserved, TC will automatically slow a train down and will stop it nicely before the occupied block is reached. All that is required is for each block to have a "Brake" marker and a "Stop" marker in EACH direction of travel. If no "Brake" markers exist, then TC will use the "Stop" marker as "Brake & Stop", thus trains will stop abruptly.

There is actually no real requirement to have multiple "Contact" tracks because TC is really good at knowing where trains are, but it does help to have at least one "Contact" track per block in order to help the software. (I've had instances where TC would "forget" where a train is.) Keep in mind that each "Brake" marker and each "Stop" marker have a multitude of settings that you can specify. These are things like how long should a train "ramp up" or "ramp down" its speed before coming to a crawl; specifying a precise "Stop" position; etc. Also, each of these markers can be applied to all trains, to some trains, or to a particular train. Markers can also be specific to certain schedules or to no schedules as well.

Sorry for this long-winded explanation and I might be completely wrong on some account due to my limited knowledge of TC. I only ever used the Gold version, so please keep this in mind if your version is different. Also, please note that in the past (early version of TC), "Flagmen" were required because "markers" were very limited. However, with the newer versions of TC, "Flagmen" are only used for very specific actions -- again, just my opinion (and I might be wrong).

Cheers,
Andry

Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
Offline pederbc  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2023 23:40:36(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
You definitively need at least one sensor per block, period! The problem with the contact rail is that it is only active while the slider is pushing it. Once the lok has passed there is no info anymore. That’s why you will need the flagman to remember that the track is occupied.

You can make it work with one contact and then use virtual contacts, but still, the system needs to remember that the contact was activated. Once the lok has passed the contact sensing is lost and thus the virtual contacts.

Peder
Offline garben  
#9 Posted : 21 June 2023 15:40:08(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post

Best of luck, Peder

Hello Peder and Norbert,

When a train travels on the layout, TC will clear a previous block when the next block is reached (i.e., the triggering of Contacts sequentially throughout a train's travel path). Also, TC reserves blocks ahead of the train's path to ensure smooth running. If a block ahead of a train can't be reserved, TC will automatically slow a train down and will stop it nicely before the occupied block is reached. All that is required is for each block to have a "Brake" marker and a "Stop" marker in EACH direction of travel. If no "Brake" markers exist, then TC will use the "Stop" marker as "Brake & Stop", thus trains will stop abruptly.

This really clear explanation helps! I wasn't quite sure how it worked. I would see the loc activate the momentary sensor in a block and it would only turn "pink" for an instance on screen, and I didn't know if TC would now realize that the block is still occupied while my loc traveled in the block. But your explanation above makes sense. So I can lock it in my thick head... TC will think a block is occupied once a sensor in that block is activated, and keeps the block occupied until the next block/sensor in its path is activated?

I currently use TC 10 Gold.

I watched one of Rudy's videos on Flagman which I thought was helpful.

Thanks for all you help.

Norbert

P.S. I've been able to successfully set up some stop and ramps etc. to get locs to stop all within a cm or so of each other so I must be doing something right with profiling. Thanks for your help with that.

Offline garben  
#10 Posted : 21 June 2023 15:45:00(UTC)
garben

United States   
You definitively need at least one sensor per block, period! The problem with the contact rail is that it is only active while the slider is pushing it. Once the lok has passed there is no info anymore. That’s why you will need the flagman to remember that the track is occupied.

You can make it work with one contact and then use virtual contacts, but still, the system needs to remember that the contact was activated. Once the lok has passed the contact sensing is lost and thus the virtual contacts.

Peder

Thanks Peder.

I appreciate your input and coincidently last night I watched one of Rudy's videos on the use of Flagmen and he refers to exactly what you mentioned since he uses momentary sensors. (around the 7 minute mark.)

Great to get all this help, really appreciate it.

Norbert