Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline heinrichhess  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2023 17:32:43(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
living in welsh wales finding it very hard to get marklin any think and the price + vat not grate

i heard baby oil works i brought some for £1.50 and had intermittent smoke a lot of filling and emptying with very little joy. reading user-net E liquid was on some old posts but no 1 was 100% happy with it. Lot's of people was talking about paraffin thorough about trying it looked all over town only found paraffin ulta low sulfur 5L and quite a price think this would work so started looking in chary shops came across lot's of old oil lamps with oil in bargains for £2

so how is it working out the fleet is BR43 Br44 Br50 all with the removable tube and a new BR24 with marklin 72270 smoke generator retrofit kit

well the older big smoke generators come of ebay of unknow ages. Firs of cleaned them out the best way is to take out the tube and hold it in pliers then light a match and burn tube THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED as a regular cleaning moor problem fixing you can get it red hot very quick do both ends! replace and allow to cool then turn on the smoke and start adding drops of oil lamp thay instantly starts smoking add 10ish drops just until it stops smoking leave it for 20seconds move the tube up a fraction then back down if still no smoke add 1 moor drop top of the tube then it runs fine the moor use they get the better they come after 4 runs over a week you can run them just buy turning on some brake in easer than other's

as for new 72270 smoke generator brought from Italy new. Oil will not go down the top so brought blunt syringe needles of e-bay find oil of any sort in syringe's creates a vacuum witch ends up with a stuck plunger and the house looks like a crack den with broken needles ThumbDown in a messy layout room so the plan is to use an empty revell glue with needle tip all quite full at moment so panning ahead for now im dripping oil onto of stack turning it on read at some point to only use 6 drops to the 72270 it will not fire up so I use a pipet dropper like a toilet plunger this works BUT DONOT DO THIS as the stack is hot and pipet is thin plastic I will update when find better way keep smoking

Hess
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2023 19:47:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I have heard that the oil used for lubricating valves on trumpets and other brass musical instruments works quite well as smoke oil. Haven't tried it myself but may be worth looking in a music shop for a bottle - i have seen quite a small bottle, so shouldn't be too expensive and would be worth a try. Useful for lubricating locos and axles on rolling stock if it doesn't work out.
Offline heinrichhess  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2023 20:00:22(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
thanks kiwialan i have some sewing machine oil are thay the same i will look up ingredients and try them if the same if not will try both the 43 is running well so that will be use for all testing any 1 else want stuff testing let me know Hess
Offline heinrichhess  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2023 20:09:50(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
NOT the same sewing machine oil good for motors not smoke

BLUE JUICE is an oil for all valved instruments, piston and rotary. It was developed by a Chemical/Lubrication Engineer who is also a Trumpet player. The primary objective was to develop an oil giving fast valve action and staying power to minimise the need for re-lubrication. Less obvious BLUE JUICE has built in inhibitors to retard bacterial growth, especially when it is a long time between clean-outs. BLUE JUICE is also non-corrosive

£8 to £18 ebay for 60ML
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2023 20:59:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I use karosene. The Marklin digital dudes Curtis Jeng and Rick Sinclair reccomend it. A gallon of it as heater fuel is sold at home and lumber supply stores for under $6.00 U.S.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2023 21:36:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Hess
I understand that many American modellers had issues with smoke units like used by Märklin when using "local" smoke fluid.

My advice is to limit to Märklin, Seuthe or Noch (SR24) fluids. I use SR24 cleaning smoke fluid available in 1 liter bottles.
This is especially important for dynamic smoke units. Cost of repair is the double or more.

Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2023 23:22:52(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Kerosene has been recommended by a number or people who are reliable. Having been a fuel oil deliverer in my previous life I can tell you that not all kerosene oil is the same. One had a high sulfur content. I would make sure it is pretty pure. Usually smell and clarity indicate purity. It should be available most everywhere and much cheaper than the branded stuff that you buy in tiny quantities.
Offline heinrichhess  
#8 Posted : 11 June 2023 00:40:59(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
Kerosene as i look out at next door central heating tank Glare

Having been a fuel oil deliverer you will know that diesel is next on the fuel chart is ire any chance of CO2? I know that kerosene is for home use however we are burning fuel in a different way to witch its meant for

JohnjeanB
thanks for advice on dynamic smoke units i will keep all testing to the bigger smoke stacks with tube until i find out moor

rhfil i will be smoking UK heating Kerosene will update on results soon

Hess
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 11 June 2023 16:20:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Kerosene use: totally unknown territory (long term effects use on Marklin / Seuthe smoke units).
I also think Kerosene is dangerous and probably totally prohibited for children to use it.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 11 June 2023 16:36:07(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Using cheap general Kerosene/paraffin might have some potential downsides as you never know how much impurities/additives etc it contains. There are several different qualities etc.

Potential issues. (some over time)
* health issues, more dangerous fumes etc from impurities and additives.
* Build op of residues over time.
* more spill/overflow on the boiler. (Quality smoke oil has less overspill on the boiler)
* impurities etc causing long-time damage to boiler paint etc.
* impurities may stick on the boiler and track etc
* potential corrosion.
* shorter life span of a smoke generator.

And according to Marklin, the use of the wrong type of smoke oil, is the cause of some issues with some newer dynamic smoke generators.
So in the dynamic smoke generator don't even use 02420, use only 02421 (or equivalent). when that is specified in the manuals.

One thing that might be a compromise, is quality high-purity lamp oil/paraffin intended for indoor use. (have not tested it)
Just check the data sheet that it is basically Kerosene/paraffin based. (one indication is the carbon range, eg c9-c16)

one other possible solution is to have a look at the datasheets of modern smoke oil and google the key ingredient. Eg Marklin/Seute lists: Hydrocarbons c11-c13 isoalkanes 2% aromatics as their main ingredient. It's basically purified/further processed paraffin, if I understand it correctly. and some searching online might give some alternatives and the stuff is actually quite widely used in many products.

just my thoughts ;)...........

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline heinrichhess  
#11 Posted : 11 June 2023 19:22:57(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
I am getting more spill/overflow on the boiler with lamp oil thanks for the info BHP
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 11 June 2023 22:00:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Karosene is also a great track cleaner, and also recommended by the Marklin digital guys. How often and how much smoke fluid do we use? Yes, the odor is more intense. I run maybe two steamers at once with smoke. Even Marklin and Seuthe warn that their smoke fluid and vapors are poisonus!
Offline heinrichhess  
#13 Posted : 12 June 2023 12:05:52(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
Kerosene is working really well if you get a cracking noise just add a drop of baby oil to calm it down will run it for a week. as for track cleaner that sounds good so any build up in hard to reach area are also getting cleaned by micro droplets still running with window open its summer so can not tell any side affects other than a big grin Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline heinrichhess  
#14 Posted : 18 June 2023 21:15:02(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
after 2 weeks smoking with paraffin their is a build up of orange residue on loco body bottom of chimney I have been a bit haphazard filling still running and smoking better than ever plan to run for 2 weeks moor total 4 weeks then clean out inside and see what comes out will update 2 weeks

Hess
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess