Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2023 04:19:21(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Just a heads up for what I expect will be a great addition to my DB Cargo ERA 5 trains. In the February Trainini on page 68 three sets of pipe loads are pictured for the Marklin Snps 719 type double station wagons. I'm always looking for a way to add more of Alex's (Zmodell) wonderful products to my set so I asked Zscalehobo to try and get me a set of those loads (fingers crossed) and snapped up a three wagon set #86552 of the cars on fleabay. There are still quite a few there, one is cheaper by far than the one I got just a few days ago! Anywhoo, the stock loads on the Marklin cars leave a lot to be desired, they are a weird plasticky yellow color, but the cars themselves are really nice and with the Zmodell loads they will be brilliant. Maybe more of us would like this set? Cheers!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2023 07:14:10(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I agree, the original load of pipes are not the best.

Your set is basically the Cargo version of the wagons sold as lumber wagons, loaded or not loaded. It seems to me the pipe load would be a lightweight version if they are done correctly. The wooden log loads have a drawback because they are heavy and not prototypical. I tried to make a better wood load myself, perhaps it is also possible to make a better pipe load as a DIY. Perhaps weathering or painting the original pipes would make them more appealing. Maybe cut that plastic look a bit. Could the pipes be transformed to be closer to those from Zmodell. Perhaps, but the white lettering may be hard to duplicate.

I have not really studied the actual pipeloads but the Zmodell versions look very nice and since they would be hallow they would keep the weight down. I like to checkout loads on YouTube.

Here is a photo of how my log load turned out. Only drawback they are heavy too.`

UserPostedImage

Let me know what happens or if you try to do something with the originals.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2023 07:29:38(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I like what you’ve done very much. And I think the Zmodell loads will look awesome. If I kept the original loads I would paint them, even if only black. The stock loads do not look realistic at all.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2023 16:24:20(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I did find some photos of pipe loads and it seems not all of them have large vendor labels on them.

UserPostedImage

Some are even aged.

UserPostedImage

Seems when tines are available, they are used for securing the load.

Some pipes are large some are smaller. I wonder if a straw might work if painted. Could be a worthy project.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2023 17:06:48(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I’m unable to load a screenshot of the Zmodell loads but the sheer size of the pipes and the logos on them are what stand out to me. Your pics are exactly what I would do if the Zmodell loads were not available.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2023 11:18:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Very useful, thank you.

All same size:
3 on 1st layer
timber between
3 on second layer
2 on third layer

2 different sizes:
3 on 1st layer
2 on second layer
3 on third layer
2 on top layer

I buy straws in various sizes available at any grocery store, then paint them with a spray can.
I am in HO but the principle is the same.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Zme
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 07 June 2023 23:21:26(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

You have to remember, this is Z scale. A standard straw will only allow for a three pipe load on a z scale 8655 wagon. This is probably similar to the pipe load in your set.

I am certain pipes are produced and shipped in a variety of sizes. I would like to find some small straws which would allow for more pipes, but I don’t know if they are easy to locate.

I did locate Mannesmann decals on a website for only 6 Euros. There are two variations and include about 10 decals.

A nice project.

Take good care.

Dwight
Online kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2023 01:00:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post

I am certain pipes are produced and shipped in a variety of sizes. I would like to find some small straws which would allow for more pipes, but I don’t know if they are easy to locate.

Look in your nearest model hop for thin wall brass tubing or styrene tubes. They come in a range of sizes. The small brass tube used for guiding cables for manual operation of points on layouts should be suitable for what you want.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 08 June 2023 05:51:31(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Straws in my area are basic impossible to get due to single use legislation.

I haven't got any on hand, but stainless steel straws are very thin walled, so weight should be ok & reasonably priced, so maybe an option.

Another thought, heat shrink tube (2x shrink) just left as is, up to about 10mm ∅, they hold their shape & easy to cut to length.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2023 19:51:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Just a short update:

I ordered some of the wet slide decals. Here is the link: https://www.modellbahndecals.de/ I am waiting for them,but since they were not currently in production, they take from 4 to 6 weeks. Shipping for four sheets was 5 Euros. The site does not specifically list Z scale prices, but any decal in N can be shrunk further to Z scale and the price is the same as what is shown for N.

I found a few quality ZModell wood load items at this site. Here are a few great looking loads

https://www.1zu220.de/Zm...or-Maerk/ZM-MRK-SNPS-013

https://www.1zu220.de/Zm...e-Wagen/ZM-MRK-EANOS-013

I don’t think the vendor will ship to the US, it would be great to have a stateside vendor for these.

Take good care.

Dwight

Offline husafreak  
#11 Posted : 07 July 2023 08:00:54(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Nice loads, more cool ideas for these cars. Yes too bad 1zu220 won’t ship to the states it is a nice shop. It will be interesting to see if Zscalehobo can get loads as well as electronics from Zmodell, fingers crossed.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2023 12:57:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
They are, and after seeing them, I think you can use wooden kabob skewers, and cut them. You can stain them too with tea. Pack of 20 is about $5. They will be large z scale logs. I used them to fill my ho wood pellet containers.
Offline parakiet  
#13 Posted : 07 July 2023 13:16:57(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
UserPostedImage

They can be quite big !

Moving pictures:

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline husafreak  
#14 Posted : 07 July 2023 17:23:29(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Great video for explaining how those cars work. With the steel straps built in and the yellow cranking mechanism below for each post. I wish those were modeled on the Marklin cars. Anyway, as long as the straps are lined up on the posts it will look correct.
I like the giant pipes with logos but also have 2.2mm diameter toothpicks that work out to 48cm or 19” so they would work.
Also a quick black paint job on the Marklin loads, plugging them with yellow end caps cut from a suitable size plugs, and copper wire straps like on Zmodell’s tree loads would look like the loads in the video.
Anything would be better than the wax candles supplied, even empty cars with the straps added.
Offline Zme  
#15 Posted : 21 July 2023 01:11:06(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

A Br232 and a holzzug Wood Train YouTube.

Hope you find it interesting, the wood loads seem to follow this pattern more frequently.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#16 Posted : 02 August 2023 01:01:42(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

Below is the finished pipe load project, using straws and the decals mentioned above.

UserPostedImage

If you decide to look up the decals, you will find two sizes, this is the smaller one.

I still need to attach the tie down straps and am still thinking of how I should do it.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#17 Posted : 02 August 2023 02:05:01(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Sewer supposed to be on the inside! ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Online kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 02 August 2023 16:39:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
Sewer supposed to be on the inside! ThumpUp

LOL LOL