Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Peter Pop  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2023 23:02:11(UTC)
Peter Pop

United States   
Finally started running this train.if it runs it runs well. If there is the slightest tension along the coupling between it he center coach and the rest of the train it stops . Runs again when I compress the coupling between the center couch and the adjacent coaches. Hate the idea of breaking down the train, trying to solder etc. any suggestions? Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Peter Pop
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2023 01:34:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter
A warm welcome to this great forum.
Here a Märklin fan from France, since 1961 with many many Märklin purchases in France (Paris) and Germany (Köln, Berlin, Aachen)
If you were living in the EU I would advise to return the set through you Märklin distributor or directly to Märklin service in Göppingen (I did it a few times and the service was great but slow (3 days to reach Göppingen but between 1 and 3 month for the repair).
Because, you probably purchased it probably in the US you may have to go though your dealer.

Some precautions:
- Märklin provides warranty service only if sold by agreed dealers, if the unit has not been tampered (opened beyond the normal use of the unit) and of course only within the duration of the warranty. My CS2 had a 2-years warranty and one insider loco had a 5-years warranty. Another cause of warranty rejection is misuse (not according to the manual)
- Check the exact procedure regarding customs so that you are not charged for entering the good into the EU and then into the USA.
- Join a detailed malfonction description, name, address, email, date and location of purchase with proof (warranty or purchase slipper
- If you or your dealer chose to repair the unit, you (also maybe your dealer) may lose any later request for warranty
- it seems you have a contact issue on one of the units and replacing the part and its connector is quite delicate (you need parts, detailed plans, tools that you probably won't have). The fault may be elsewhere (one loco not working like the other one thus causing the couplers to be pulled away.
- before sending anything, first locate the problem (what is the junction causing the issue) using only parts of the train 1 - only locos with adjacent trailers, 2 - adding one set of additional trailers, etc. Second Inspect with a strong magnifier, the contacts male and female for bent or apparent anomalies
I hope it will work for you.
Cheers
Jean
Online mmervine  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2023 14:17:26(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
A friend of mine had a similar problem with his TGV. Turned out that one pin on the connector was bent. This was very hard to see, but I would use a flashlight to look and see if this could be the issue.

Mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2023 15:07:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, and Guy from AJC Kid's demonstrates on YouTube the best method for coupling/uncoupling the Marklin TGV's.
Offline Peter Pop  
#5 Posted : 31 May 2023 19:56:18(UTC)
Peter Pop

United States   
Was able to tighten the connections with inserting a slice of electrical tape to tighten the female end of the connections.
Runs well now
Thanks for the comments
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Peter Pop
Offline Kanga  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2023 06:07:14(UTC)
Kanga

Australia   
My 37797 TGV (in just the 4 car consist) would occasionally have one loco go flatout with no speed control, with temporary resolution as yours by compressing the couplings. I changed the Plugs in the couplings (E247005/E247006) which fixed the problem. That obviously involves disassembly and soldering, but I have included the information for future searches.

Karl