Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2023 12:01:51(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I bough a lot of old turnouts. Most of them work as supposed but there were a couple of dead solenoids (which I was expectin) and a couple of which had mechanical issues (that I was not expecting) which I have been able to spot. It is shown here on this video:

The rod is moving way too much sideways... I'd say it's bending, which it is probably not supposed to do.

I tried insert a hollow styrofoam tube to restrict the bending, but even with a ~2mm tube, the movement is restricted too much and the switch won't go all the way.

Has anyone got a good fix for this issue? Maybe some crazy way to reinforce the rod?

BR,
-Eino
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2023 19:39:34(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

Here is a video discussion about switches, perhaps this helps to understand the z scale switches. Sorry it’s in German, just choose CC and set Subtitles/CC to translate to your language.

I cannot say that I have tried to fix or repair these beyond the basic cleaning. One thing I do know is Marklin products are precisely designed and assembled to provide a fairly long service life. If the function is not working correctly, trying to make modifications likely will only make it worse. Since this is a used product, it is not known what might have happened to it.

I messed up a double switch not knowing better. An expensive experience.

It might be a time to look for a replacement to your switch.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2023 23:20:51(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I bough a lot of old turnouts. Most of them work as supposed but there were a couple of dead solenoids (which I was expectin) and a couple of which had mechanical issues (that I was not expecting) which I have been able to spot.
The rod is moving way too much sideways... I'd say it's bending, which it is probably not supposed to do.

I tried insert a hollow styrofoam tube to restrict the bending, but even with a ~2mm tube, the movement is restricted too much and the switch won't go all the way.

Has anyone got a good fix for this issue? Maybe some crazy way to reinforce the rod?

BR,
-Eino

Marklin points rely on the action of the point blades being very light (so light that a train entering from the wrong leg can push the blades over and not derail itself. It looks to me like the mechanism itself is working correctly but the blade mechanism is jammed somewhere - in the tie-bar perhaps. I'd suggest some foreign matter is stuck in there somewhere and a good clean out may get it working correctly again.

Good luck!

Chris
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2023 23:40:05(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
It looks to me like the mechanism itself is working correctly but the blade mechanism is jammed somewhere - in the tie-bar perhaps. I'd suggest some foreign matter is stuck in there somewhere and a good clean out may get it working correctly again.

Agree
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline einotuominen  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2023 18:01:28(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Maybe I’ll check for jams under the blades then. Luckily I ordered a big lot of turnouts and won a couple of auctions (5€ per turnout!) so now I’ve got ple ty of spares and I was prepared that some of them were malfunctioning. Luckily got a generous refund on broken ones. Great sellers!

BR,
-Eino
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2023 19:53:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That was an exceptional price and worth it hoping to get working pieces. A generous refund makes it even better. New, switches are very expensive.

Perhaps a bit of cleaning will do it and you will get some good pieces.

Best wishes. Take good care, have a great weekend.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme