Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gamolina  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2023 01:08:52(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello!
I have a CS2 which has the following problem.
If you power on it, the load bar reaches the middle of the scale and the arrow icon appears, everything OK.
If you reboot it, the load bar goes to the end of the scale and does not start.
It has the last version, updated by internet.
Any help?
Greetings Guillermo

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2023 13:22:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Gamolina
Here, French Märklin fan.
I have had 2 CS2 since 2010 and 2012. One failed (early version w/o the galvanic insulation) and was repaired by Märklin so both are 5A, galvanically insulated 60215 units
One of these 60215 did just what you describe: instead of having the green arrow displayed in center sceen when the progress bar is its middle, the arrow is never displayed and the progress bar goes all the way to the right.
This has been happening a few years ago. I managed to solve the issue by stubbornly rebooting the unit, close to an internet access and when I succeeded having a full boot, I updated the unit.
Following this I was safe for a few months but it occured and now refuse to boot completely.

This is a way to fail for CS2s that is very common (occured to many owners)
Märklin does not repair the CS2s
A mass memory chip used in the CS2 could be the root cause. It has some resiliency against record failures but past a certain point, it cannot cope correcting its errors.

Except what I mentioned above you have 2 solutions:
- send back the faulty unit to a Märklin shop and obtain a discount on a CS3 or CS3+
- search for the best price of a CS3 / CS3+ in a shop in Germany. This is what I did because the rebate offered by Märklin wasn't good enough. I purchased a CS3 60226 because I had a Link88 already (o I didn't need the simplified Link88 inside the CS3+.

Cheers
Jean
Offline gamolina  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2023 14:23:55(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello Jean! Many thanks for your mesaage.
I have read that many users sent the CS2 to Märklin to restore the "operating system" and it comes back Ok, all without cost.
Many years ago, I was in contact with one man who was a Beta tester of CS2 and he had had to sent the CS2 to Märklin to remove unused files and give more memory...
I am living in Argentine and to send the CS2 to Göppingen it is not easy....
It is strange that Märklin can not solve the problem by an upgrade or a remote service...
The only thing that I "love" from CS2 is the Clock.... if the Cs3 once has this function it will be a grat device!

Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2023 15:00:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Gamolina
When my CS2 failed I called the Märklin service in Göppingen
- they asked me to send the CS2 for "inspection". It turns out to make a reduction offer on a CS3 based on catalog prices in Germany which is not very competitive
- because of EU laws, Märklin cannot charge for any repair as this would force them to give a warranty
- M cannot warrant the CS2 because some components are unavailable

Train Clock
Yes this feature is not on the CS3 but what good it is if there are no fonctions to take advantage of it.
I am a Rocrail user (and big fan) and there is a "train clock" to start schedules at a specific time (or also in relative time (durations really)
Here is a view of my Rocrail-operated layout (with relative shedules and "Aquarium" mode) at the time using a CS2 and now a CS3

Because of the much more powerful and easier-to-use fonctions, I don't use the CS3's events
CS3's events are way more powerful than those on the CS2 but still lack the key thing: It does not know which loco is where making impossible to do all the things available in Rocrail

But still the CS3 is a very good machine
Cheers
Jean