Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline garben  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2023 20:18:57(UTC)
garben

United States   
Hello,

I'm integrating TC into my existing Marklin layout and have a theoretical question regarding blocks and the stop and brake features for the blocks.

A little background:

My Marklin C track layout uses isolated rails to detect a train. I set up blocks in TC and successfully set them up so when a train goes over the isolated section the block turns pink, all good there.

My layout also has existing working signals along with brake modules that control power to the specific tracks. So for example when the signal shows red in a station the train slows down and then stops. I was able to connect these signals and operate in TC, so all good there too.

My question is, can I use the track detections and blocks to communicate to my signals to control the starting and stopping of trains? If yes, I'm assuming there isn't a need for me to set up stop and brake markers in the TC blocks. Is this correct?

Any experience or insight would be helpful.

Thank you!
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 19 May 2023 21:29:31(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

I have been using TC for many years now, and am using C-tracks with isolated track sensoring. All blocks (nearly) have 3 sensors, one on each entrance and one long in between. All blocks have brake and stop markers, most in both directions. I only connect my signals to DCC and let them be controlled by TC only. You can disconnect all signal cables that control tracks and/or turnouts.

TC is great!, Peder
Offline Kiko  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2023 05:26:08(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post
I'm integrating TC into my existing Marklin layout and have a theoretical question regarding blocks and the stop and brake features for the blocks.

My question is, can I use the track detections and blocks to communicate to my signals to control the starting and stopping of trains? If yes, I'm assuming there isn't a need for me to set up stop and brake markers in the TC blocks. Is this correct?

Hello Garben,

I have a K-track layout and have been using TC for over 20 years. My blocks consist of isolated rails (one rail) and when loco or wagon wheels bridge both rails, the block sends a signal to TC via s88 detection modules. TC is very happy with this setup -- i.e., it knows each train's location on the layout and it keeps track of all my trains. For this to work properly, each block requires a "Brake" and "Stop" marker in order for TC to properly manage the movement of trains.

There is no need to have special "modules to control power to specific tracks". That method was used mostly to control analog trains in the past. With software (such as TC) conrolling your trains, there is no need for modules. If all your locos are properly calibrated, TC has no problem tracking all movements and stopping trains at exact locations as per your defined "brake" and "stop" markers. Furthermore, if you have signals (or semaphores), these are only for "eye candy" and are controlled by TC for visual appeal. In short -- it's not the signals that control the starting and stopping of trains -- it will be TC that does that.

The above is a very basic explanation. If I understand your question correctly, by removing "Brake" and "Stop" markers in TC would defeat the whole purpose of having software control your layout. With the use of various markers in TC, you can have very accurate control over where your trains slow down, where they crawl, where they stop, etc. This also permits you to setup brake and stop points tailored to individual trains. This is just the tip of the iceburg. In short -- forget the old mindset of "brake modules" and all the wiring that goes with that. As long as you have track detection (blocks), you're ready to have full software control of train operations.

I hope that my short explanation will not confuse you even more. Let me know if something is not clear and I'll be happy to try and explain.

Cheers,
Andry
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2023 07:42:40(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I totally second the views from Kiko and pederbc above. From TC Users Guide V10, page 175:

”If no marker is assigned to a block, then the first triggered indicator implicitly defines a stop marker. If necessary, a train is stopped in a block anyway, even if only indicators and no brake and stop markers are assigned.”

I.e. if the next block is occupied by another train AND no brake and stop markers are assigned in the current block, TC will use the first indicator in the current block as a stop marker anyway. The train will probably stop abruptly before reaching the brake module.

If planning to integrate TC in your layout, I would therefore recommend you to:

• Deactivate the brake modules.

• Deactivate any power on/off function managed by signals or relays (as these are not required).

• Define block indicators according to the Users Guide.

• Define brake and stop markers according to the Users Guide.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline garben  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2023 16:28:54(UTC)
garben

United States   
Thank you Gentlemen, these explanations are great and give me a good understanding of what I need to do. I appreciate the time you took to provide me with an understanding.

I still would like to have the signals for “eye candy”, as Kiki mentioned, and will deactivate their ability to control power. I paid enough for then so I’d like to put then to use. I’m assuming there is a way for the software to change the aspect of the signal based on instructions once a train enters a block? In others words, I set up the brake and stop markers for a block for a station so the train stops and the signal light would be red. And when the train leaves the signal would be green then changes back to red when in the next block? Can any of you comment on any successes with that?

I know I need to play around more with the software but it does help to hear what others do and how they do it. Appreciate it!

Norbert
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2023 16:58:04(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I’m assuming there is a way for the software to change the aspect of the signal based on instructions once a train enters a block?

Oh yes, there are a lot of options. You can vary the signal aspects depending on type of train, route, schedule etc. Another nice thing is that you can set a delay between the events of signal = ”green” and train movement. The limit is the number of decoder addresses you want to spend per signal!

BigGrin

The clip below is an example of my own ”eye candy”, controlled by TC…

Smile

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline garben  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2023 19:38:26(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
I’m assuming there is a way for the software to change the aspect of the signal based on instructions once a train enters a block?

Oh yes, there are a lot of options. You can vary the signal aspects depending on type of train, route, schedule etc. Another nice thing is that you can set a delay between the events of signal = ”green” and train movement. The limit is the number of decoder addresses you want to spend per signal!

BigGrin

The clip below is an example of my own ”eye candy”, controlled by TC…

Smile

Wow! That is very cool. Something for me to aspire too. The dentals/scenery in the parts that I can see in the video are impressive. Great job. Thanks and you all have me pumped up to tackle this. Appreciate it.

Norbert.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by garben
Offline garben  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2023 17:22:53(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have been using TC for many years now, and am using C-tracks with isolated track sensoring. All blocks (nearly) have 3 sensors, one on each entrance and one long in between. All blocks have brake and stop markers, most in both directions. I only connect my signals to DCC and let them be controlled by TC only. You can disconnect all signal cables that control tracks and/or turnouts.

TC is great!, Peder

Hi Peder,

Question, do you you have your three sensors that you mentioned all related to one block. In other words can a single block have more that one sensor? In my station and fiddle yards I have a sensor at the entry and one on the exit. Would I need to create two blocks for this section, one for each sensor?

Thank you.
Norbert

Offline pederbc  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2023 19:08:32(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

I use 3 sensors per block (in most cases), one on each entrance (on track lenght), and the rest of the tracks in between as one. That means that every part of the tracks are sensored, except for the turnouts. This makes it possible to have controlled brake and sto0 positions. It will also detect any lost wagons as they will make the block occupied. But if you profile the engines properly. You can get away with just one sensor per block and rely on virtual contacts for breaking and stop. But remember that profiling is tidious and can be hard to acceive.

Peder
Offline garben  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2023 21:46:04(UTC)
garben

United States   
Hi,

I use 3 sensors per block (in most cases), one on each entrance (on track lenght), and the rest of the tracks in between as one. That means that every part of the tracks are sensored, except for the turnouts. This makes it possible to have controlled brake and sto0 positions. It will also detect any lost wagons as they will make the block occupied. But if you profile the engines properly. You can get away with just one sensor per block and rely on virtual contacts for breaking and stop. But remember that profiling is tidious and can be hard to acceive.

Peder

Hello,

Do each of your contacts have a different address and input or do the three contacts share the same address? With my current set up each of my contacts has a different input on the S88. I do not see where I can add another address/input for a contact in my block in TC.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 153800.png
Offline pederbc  
#11 Posted : 22 May 2023 23:52:07(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Each sensor has its own s88 address. You can add as many contacts as you like to a block. Create the sensors in TC and then add them to the block(s).

By using three sensors in a block i can use the two at the ends as both brake triggers and stop markers, depending on train direction. The long middle sensor makes sure i detect anything on the block.
Offline pederbc  
#12 Posted : 22 May 2023 23:56:18(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
As I understand it you are also using the isolated rail for detection. This works normally good but the caveat is that only one rail is actually ”grounded”. This can be solved by applying the ”diode trick”. Search for diode trick here in the forum….
Offline Kiko  
#13 Posted : 23 May 2023 04:59:45(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
do you you have your three sensors that you mentioned all related to one block. In other words can a single block have more that one sensor? In my station and fiddle yards I have a sensor at the entry and one on the exit. Would I need to create two blocks for this section, one for each sensor?

Hello Norbert,

I have been using two short sensors per block (in most cases), or one long sensor (in some cases). The short sensors are usually right before or after a turnout -- i.e., start and end of block. I have over 150 blocks and have no problems with TC tracking all trains, slowing them down where appropriate and also stopping trains precisely (to within a few mm) where I need them to stop. All this is done with TC markers (brake, stop, action), that are assigned to those blocks. As long as your locos are calibrated, then TC will do its job very well.

Regarding "calibration" -- yes it's a bit time consuming, but usually new locos are not added daily ( Smile ), hence it's no "big deal" to do this when you purchase a new loco. BTW, calibration is automated -- once I start it, I can go and do other things then come back in about 30 minutes and the calibration curves are done. I think that running TC without calibrating your locos kind of defeats the whole purpose of automating trains. Unless you change or reprogram a decoder in a loco, you never have to recalibrate the loco again.

In my point of view, the activation of a sensor should not cause an action to be performed. Cutting track to create blocks is not very precise. However, the markers in a block should be what actually controls all actions. That's where TC shines because you can place markers at very precise locations. Once a train runs into a block and activates a sensor, then your markers take over -- you can have that marker start to slowly decelerate the train until it reaches its crawl speed and stops at a specific point. All this is very repeatable and can be applied to all or just one train -- your choice.

Just some more "food for thought". All the best,
Andry
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
Offline blid  
#14 Posted : 23 May 2023 13:08:03(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
When I started with TC I found it useful to create a switchboard defining all indicators (sensors) and nothing else. I called it ”Monitor”. The first row held the 16 indicators of the first feedback module with space for text containing the name of the indicators on the 2nd row. On row 3 the indicators of the 2nd module etc. The name of an indicator contained the name of the block it belonged to with a suffix for the short stop sections. In my case the layout was orientated north to south so a left stop section for block B1 would be B1S. A stop section to the right B1N and the tracks in between just B1 like the block. If the block was vertically orientated it would have been B1W, and B1E.

When editing a block in the Block Editor tab; chose the dropdown for “Insert an existing indicator” and then “Contact indicators”. From the list you have to chose the indicators in the order they are placed in the block. B1S followed by B1 and finally B1N. The areas allocated to the indicators within the image of the block will look strange but it has no impact on train movements. Just cosmetics. These areas can be adjusted to better reflect the real thing if you like. By default the whole block goes red when any indicator in the block is activated. I found a setting somewhere so that only the area drawn for the activated indicator goes red.

About “calibration” (and I do recommend it). If you use full occupancy detection (contact between the rails) you need three consecutive indicators. No tracks or turnouts in between. They can belong to different blocks. You need to know the length of the middle indicator section (mine was about 1 meter). The other two can be of any length but you need clear tracks on both sides of the middle section for automatic calibration. The length of the clear track have to exceed the sum of the train/engine and the length of track needed for acceleration/deceleration.

Well, there are a lot of pages in the manual to read. I recommend that too.

OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline garben  
#15 Posted : 23 May 2023 17:01:56(UTC)
garben

United States   
As I understand it you are also using the isolated rail for detection. This works normally good but the caveat is that only one rail is actually ”grounded”. This can be solved by applying the ”diode trick”. Search for diode trick here in the forum….

Thanks for the info Peder! I think I understand the concept. It's totally different than what I was used to with just using a CS3 alone. It's a whole new world and I can see the real benefits. Just need to dive in and make it happen. Appreciate you!

Norbert
Offline garben  
#16 Posted : 23 May 2023 17:08:23(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post
do you you have your three sensors that you mentioned all related to one block. In other words can a single block have more that one sensor? In my station and fiddle yards I have a sensor at the entry and one on the exit. Would I need to create two blocks for this section, one for each sensor?

Hello Norbert,

I have been using two short sensors per block (in most cases), or one long sensor (in some cases). The short sensors are usually right before or after a turnout -- i.e., start and end of block. I have over 150 blocks and have no problems with TC tracking all trains, slowing them down where appropriate and also stopping trains precisely (to within a few mm) where I need them to stop. All this is done with TC markers (brake, stop, action), that are assigned to those blocks. As long as your locos are calibrated, then TC will do its job very well.

Regarding "calibration" -- yes it's a bit time consuming, but usually new locos are not added daily ( Smile ), hence it's no "big deal" to do this when you purchase a new loco. BTW, calibration is automated -- once I start it, I can go and do other things then come back in about 30 minutes and the calibration curves are done. I think that running TC without calibrating your locos kind of defeats the whole purpose of automating trains. Unless you change or reprogram a decoder in a loco, you never have to recalibrate the loco again.

In my point of view, the activation of a sensor should not cause an action to be performed. Cutting track to create blocks is not very precise. However, the markers in a block should be what actually controls all actions. That's where TC shines because you can place markers at very precise locations. Once a train runs into a block and activates a sensor, then your markers take over -- you can have that marker start to slowly decelerate the train until it reaches its crawl speed and stops at a specific point. All this is very repeatable and can be applied to all or just one train -- your choice.

Just some more "food for thought". All the best,
Andry

Thank you Andry. There is so much to learn but I can really start to appreciate the benefits of the software. Appreciate you taking the time to provide you expertise. It does help me see the whole picture. Looking foward to diving in the deep end. Thank you again.
Norbert
Offline garben  
#17 Posted : 23 May 2023 17:18:11(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
When I started with TC I found it useful to create a switchboard defining all indicators (sensors) and nothing else. I called it ”Monitor”. The first row held the 16 indicators of the first feedback module with space for text containing the name of the indicators on the 2nd row. On row 3 the indicators of the 2nd module etc. The name of an indicator contained the name of the block it belonged to with a suffix for the short stop sections. In my case the layout was orientated north to south so a left stop section for block B1 would be B1S. A stop section to the right B1N and the tracks in between just B1 like the block. If the block was vertically orientated it would have been B1W, and B1E.

When editing a block in the Block Editor tab; chose the dropdown for “Insert an existing indicator” and then “Contact indicators”. From the list you have to chose the indicators in the order they are placed in the block. B1S followed by B1 and finally B1N. The areas allocated to the indicators within the image of the block will look strange but it has no impact on train movements. Just cosmetics. These areas can be adjusted to better reflect the real thing if you like. By default the whole block goes red when any indicator in the block is activated. I found a setting somewhere so that only the area drawn for the activated indicator goes red.

About “calibration” (and I do recommend it). If you use full occupancy detection (contact between the rails) you need three consecutive indicators. No tracks or turnouts in between. They can belong to different blocks. You need to know the length of the middle indicator section (mine was about 1 meter). The other two can be of any length but you need clear tracks on both sides of the middle section for automatic calibration. The length of the clear track have to exceed the sum of the train/engine and the length of track needed for acceleration/deceleration.

Well, there are a lot of pages in the manual to read. I recommend that too.

Excellent guidance Blid! I love the idea of the sensor switchboard. I'm going to work on that and thanks for the directions for adding indicators to the blocks. I'm very grateful for the time you spent laying this all out for me and I'm sure it will help others as well.

Cheers!
Norbert
Offline pederbc  
#18 Posted : 23 May 2023 17:27:40(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Take the time to view the tutorial videos created by Rudy in the Netherlands. You can find them on the Freiwald forum.

Peder
Offline garben  
#19 Posted : 07 June 2023 19:08:28(UTC)
garben

United States   

Andry

Hello Andry,

I'm going to start to calibrate my locomotives and had a question regarding one of the initial screens while entering a locomotive. On the Speed tab for a locomotive, you need to input a speed for Foward and Backward and there is a field to enter a number for Power. Will these number be provided once I calibrate or do these numbers represent the actual prototype speeds and power? See screen shot below.

Thanks!
Screenshot 2023-06-07 124457.png
Offline Kiko  
#20 Posted : 07 June 2023 19:57:20(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   

Hello Andry,

I'm going to start to calibrate my locomotives and had a question regarding one of the initial screens while entering a locomotive. On the Speed tab for a locomotive, you need to input a speed for Forward and Backward and there is a field to enter a number for Power. Will these number be provided once I calibrate or do these numbers represent the actual prototype speeds and power? See screen shot below.

Thanks!

Hello Norbert,

When you press on the "Automatic Speed & Brake" button, you will open a separate window where you'll carry out the calibration. I usually go to the "Advanced Fine Tuning" window and do my calibrations from there. The details on how to setup your track (i.e., start block, end block, runoff, etc.) are described in the TC manual. Also there is a very good tutorial provided by Rudy on this topic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...jkb3050iUe6&index=59). When I started out, I followed all the TC tutorials from Rudy -- they are really great and you will learn a great deal. He breaks up his tutorials by topic -- each one is concise and to the point. Highly recommended.

To answer your question regarding the "Speed" settings. I set my locomotives to run prototypically and not more than what my layout is designed for. My layout era and topography limit speeds to 70 km/h max. However, some of my locos (based on prototype) are limited to 40, or 50 km/h. This is as per the real locos on which my models are based on. Therefore, when I program the decoder for a particular loco, I set its max speed to what it should be. This is done using either a LokProgrammer or my control station (ECoS). Once top speed is set, then the calibration will create a speed curve between 0 and your max speed. The "Power" input field is based on the prototype. This data is used by TC internally for momentum purposes. I find this info on the web with a search of the actual prototype loco (wikipedia is good at this).

Once again, I would highly recommend watching Rudy's tutorials. It's much easier to go through the calibration process in "video format" than to write it out in an e-mail. However, if after watching the videos and trying things out you have questions, please don't hesitate to post them here and I'll be glad to try and answer.

Below are screenshots of the various tabs for the "Engine Configuration" window. In this example, I'm using a Marklin 37059 Württemberg K (BR59).

RR&Co (1) - General.jpg

RR&Co (2) - Connection.jpg

RR&Co (3) - Speed.jpg

RR&Co (3a) - Speed (Advanced Fine Tuning).jpg

RR&Co (4) - Functions.jpg

RR&Co (5) - Resources.jpg

RR&Co (6) - Comment.jpg

Always glad to help. Cheers,
Andry
Andry
Offline garben  
#21 Posted : 07 June 2023 21:03:31(UTC)
garben

United States   
Originally Posted by: Kiko Go to Quoted Post

Hello Andry,

I'm going to start to calibrate my locomotives and had a question regarding one of the initial screens while entering a locomotive. On the Speed tab for a locomotive, you need to input a speed for Forward and Backward and there is a field to enter a number for Power. Will these number be provided once I calibrate or do these numbers represent the actual prototype speeds and power? See screen shot below.

Thanks!

Hello Norbert,

When you press on the "Automatic Speed & Brake" button, you will open a separate window where you'll carry out the calibration. I usually go to the "Advanced Fine Tuning" window and do my calibrations from there. The details on how to setup your track (i.e., start block, end block, runoff, etc.) are described in the TC manual. Also there is a very good tutorial provided by Rudy on this topic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...jkb3050iUe6&index=59). When I started out, I followed all the TC tutorials from Rudy -- they are really great and you will learn a great deal. He breaks up his tutorials by topic -- each one is concise and to the point. Highly recommended.

To answer your question regarding the "Speed" settings. I set my locomotives to run prototypically and not more than what my layout is designed for. My layout era and topography limit speeds to 70 km/h max. However, some of my locos (based on prototype) are limited to 40, or 50 km/h. This is as per the real locos on which my models are based on. Therefore, when I program the decoder for a particular loco, I set its max speed to what it should be. This is done using either a LokProgrammer or my control station (ECoS). Once top speed is set, then the calibration will create a speed curve between 0 and your max speed. The "Power" input field is based on the prototype. This data is used by TC internally for momentum purposes. I find this info on the web with a search of the actual prototype loco (wikipedia is good at this).

Once again, I would highly recommend watching Rudy's tutorials. It's much easier to go through the calibration process in "video format" than to write it out in an e-mail. However, if after watching the videos and trying things out you have questions, please don't hesitate to post them here and I'll be glad to try and answer.

Below are screenshots of the various tabs for the "Engine Configuration" window. In this example, I'm using a Marklin 37059 Württemberg K (BR59).

RR&Co (1) - General.jpg

RR&Co (2) - Connection.jpg

RR&Co (3) - Speed.jpg

RR&Co (3a) - Speed (Advanced Fine Tuning).jpg

RR&Co (4) - Functions.jpg

RR&Co (5) - Resources.jpg

RR&Co (6) - Comment.jpg

Always glad to help. Cheers,
Andry

Thanks Andry.

Very helpful as usual. I just wasn't sure where those speed numbers came from, either from doing the calibration or from user input base on the prototype. I'll check out Rudy's youtube channel, thanks for the tip.

As 100% of my locomotives are Marklin with MFX decoders, am I able to program the max speeds that with MFX decoders as well? I was reading in the manual regarding Trimming the Maximum Decoder Speed, page 135, but the only mention was with regards to DCC decoders. Is this something I would do on the CS3, programming track? Sorry for the questions, but this is all new for me, but enjoying the learning for sure.

Thanks again!
Norbert

Offline Kiko  
#22 Posted : 07 June 2023 21:48:47(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello Norbert,

The "Speed" numbers are what you would like them to be. This usually comes from how you set the numbers during decoder programming (i.e., CV values). I base my numbers on layout constraints and prototype data. Rudy explain this very "down-to-earth".

I have a mixture of Marklin MFX and LokSound locos. I don't have a CS3 but an ECoS so the speed setting procedure might be a bit different. Using my ECoS, I can do a loco "Edit" and then adjust "Minimum" and "Maximum" speed. These are just numbers (from 1 to 255), but thtough trial-and-error you can get the exact scale speed you want. Of course, this programming is much easier using a LokProgrammer or a Marklin Decoder programmer.

Just a further explanation of setting this speed. The "trial-and-error" method that I referred to above is actually also covered in Rudy's videos. What I do is set a max speed and then run a "single speed step" calibration. You setup your calibration run as per usual, but set the speed slider (green) to max; hit start; and note the result (see picture below). This will show you if you need to reprogram your max speed CV value (higher or lower). After doing this a few times, you'll get the hang of it and it'll become second nature.

Hope this helps.
Andry

Screenshot 2023-06-07 154519.jpg
Andry
Offline garben  
#23 Posted : 08 June 2023 14:13:28(UTC)
garben

United States   
Thanks Andry. Picture worth a thousand words. Got my project set for the weekend now.

One other question, when calibrating locks and doing the steppes tests etc, do you recommend to have rolling stock attached? I noticed in Rudy’s video that he had passenger cars attached while doing the speed test.

Thanks again!
Offline PeFu  
#24 Posted : 08 June 2023 15:04:14(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
One other question, when calibrating locks and doing the steppes tests etc, do you recommend to have rolling stock attached? I noticed in Rudy’s video that he had passenger cars attached while doing the speed test.

Nah, if the engine decoder has proper load compensation features, I haven’t seen a need for that.

Offline Kiko  
#25 Posted : 08 June 2023 16:46:02(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   

Hello Norbert,

I agree with "PeFu", there is really no need for any wagons to be attached to the loco during calibration. From my experience, having done many calibrations, when the locos are pulling various trains, these locos always work within the parameters setup during calibration. The locos always respond to TC as expected -- braking ramps and stopping points are right on the mark.

Take care,
Andry
Andry