Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Feelixen  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2023 14:45:27(UTC)
Feelixen

Sweden   
Hello everyone
Starting up an old hobby again after many years and got myself a CS3+ (60216). Played around with some MFx locomotives and that is nice and easy and even managed to get some old Delta and C80 locomotives to run. However, I have some old Märklin Digital decoders that would be nice to use as well. I have understood that I can use the old 6088's that I have if I have a 60883 in between.

My first question is:

Is it possible to use 6083 and 6084 with the CS3+? If the answer is No then the rest of the questions are not relevant and I have to buy newer stuff.

If the answer is Yes then I have the following questions
1) How to define the decoder in the CS3+Confused ? (Sorry I'm a newbie to this and need some detailed instructions, so screen shots etc. would be very much appreciated)
2) Can I connect them directly to the track feed or do I need to use some external power supply (60822?) and some other device?
3) Anything else to think about? (E.g. I saw something flashing by about the the 6083 need a end signal from the digital system and sometimes the CS (I don't think it was a CS3?) miss to send that signal and things are getting destroyed)

/Jörgen
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2023 18:59:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Feelixen Go to Quoted Post

Is it possible to use 6083 and 6084 with the CS3+? If the answer is No then the rest of the questions are not relevant and I have to buy newer stuff.

1) How to define the decoder in the CS3+Confused ? (Sorry I'm a newbie to this and need some detailed instructions, so screen shots etc. would be very much appreciated)
2) Can I connect them directly to the track feed or do I need to use some external power supply (60822?) and some other device?
3) Anything else to think about? (E.g. I saw something flashing by about the the 6083 need a end signal from the digital system and sometimes the CS (I don't think it was a CS3?) miss to send that signal and things are getting destroyed)

Hi Jörgen

A warm welcome to this great forum. It is great to have you with us.

0) yes 6083 and 6084 are perfectly compatible with a CS3. No restriction except avoid using one on switch motor with bridged contacts
1) You select the address you wish to assign (example 1) and position the micro switches accordingly. You select the upper green tab and select (1) Modify tab and then (2) Modify Article list
Sans titre.png
Then you obtain such a screen, where at the end of the list (normally empty when you start) you have a + (Plus) to add an article
Sans titre1.png

2) Yes you can connect to the track feed. More so if - like me - your CS3 is powered by a 60101 PSU (100 W). Remember that only ONE article is activated at anyone time.
3) Reserve your 6083 to devices like decouplers and switches WITH an active limit switches. For others, 60832 are better because no matter what, the unit will switch off the solenoid after (200 mS - Factory setting).
Märklin is very attached to upward compatibility: In the old days 6021 - Keyboard, the system would send an order to switch-ON a turn-out and another one to switch it OFF (when you stop pressing the button). This has been kept on the CS1, CS2 and CS3. Newer M83 or M84 don't wait for the switch-OFF order.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Feelixen  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2023 00:07:12(UTC)
Feelixen

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Hi Jörgen

A warm welcome to this great forum. It is great to have you with us.

0) yes 6083 and 6084 are perfectly compatible with a CS3. No restriction except avoid using one on switch motor with bridged contacts
1) You select the address you wish to assign (example 1) and position the micro switches accordingly. You select the upper green tab and select (1) Modify tab and then (2) Modify Article list
Sans titre.png
Then you obtain such a screen, where at the end of the list (normally empty when you start) you have a + (Plus) to add an article
Sans titre1.png

2) Yes you can connect to the track feed. More so if - like me - your CS3 is powered by a 60101 PSU (100 W). Remember that only ONE article is activated at anyone time.
3) Reserve your 6083 to devices like decouplers and switches WITH an active limit switches. For others, 60832 are better because no matter what, the unit will switch off the solenoid after (200 mS - Factory setting).
Märklin is very attached to upward compatibility: In the old days 6021 - Keyboard, the system would send an order to switch-ON a turn-out and another one to switch it OFF (when you stop pressing the button). This has been kept on the CS1, CS2 and CS3. Newer M83 or M84 don't wait for the switch-OFF order.

Cheers
Jean

Thanks a lot Jean!!! I got it to work. BigGrin I have so far only tried it with some signals. Tried with two (old) 7039 but they take too long time to switch to green so that doesn't work, but with a 7242 it works perfectly fine.

I also figured out that if I give the decoder the address 1 the different ports are then address 1-4. So I guess the next decoder should be set to --3-5-7- and will then have address 5-8 on the ports?

What is a "switch motor with bridged contacts"? Example?

Any example of "switches WITH an active limit switches"?

I will build my set with a mixture of M-track and K-track and I also have a few signals in the 7000 series and 7200 series that I would like to use.

Btw, I have a 60041 power supply. It came with the CS3+. I bought it "used" on a on-line auction, less than two months old.
Regards
/Jörgen

Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2023 01:53:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

I also figured out that if I give the decoder the address 1 the different ports are then address 1-4. So I guess the next decoder should be set to --3-5-7- and will then have address 5-8 on the ports?

Yes this is it exactly first M83 is 1-2-3-4 the second is 5-6-7-8 and so forth.

What is a "switch motor with bridged contacts"? Example?

Any example of "switches WITH an active limit switches"?

C-Track switch motors have limit switches. Because, the switches often fail in digital mode, many (including me) short the switches (so they are inactive). In digital mode, the habit is to limit the duration to 100mS which is enough for them and make route switching time faster (only one motor is on at a time).
Conversely, M-Track switch motors have no limit switches so the standard timing of 200 mS is enough.

I have started using 60041 and they are very good but both my units failed at the connector side (after years of use). So the less you plug / unplug them on the CS3, the better
I have started with one CS2 around 2010 and I got a second one with a mega set (with 2 trains) so that is how I got two 60041.
Later, because the power was a bit small I got myself a 60101 (100 W) for my entire layout (no boosters) 26 recent sound locos, 70 switches and all requires 2.9 to 3.3 A so, with 5 A I am fine (since 2013 with this 60101) and now with a CS360226

Cheers
Jean

Offline Feelixen  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2023 22:32:19(UTC)
Feelixen

Sweden   
Thanks for the explanations. Highly appreciated.
Regards
/Jörgen
Offline jrbburg  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2023 19:16:06(UTC)
jrbburg

United Kingdom   
Hi, I’ve bought a loco with a 6080 decoder (address 71). Can anyone help me set it up in CS3?

Sorry if this should be obvious but nothing seems to work. I need the idiots guide!

Many thanks,
James
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2023 20:51:30(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
You need the downloadable CS3 Manual. I just can't find a link to it. Must be on here someplace.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2023 00:51:37(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
You need the downloadable CS3 Manual. I just can't find a link to it. Must be on here someplace.

CS3 Manual is available in various languages on Marklin's website: CS3 Manual International

Starting at page 11 in the English version it explains how to add locomotives manually.

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline BenP  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2023 01:24:28(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: jrbburg Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I’ve bought a loco with a 6080 decoder (address 71). Can anyone help me set it up in CS3?

Sorry if this should be obvious but nothing seems to work. I need the idiots guide!

Many thanks,
James

Select new loc ("+"). Select MM protocol. Use #71.
This should do it, as there are no options for vintage 6080 decoder (one function for lights). You select loc image from embedded or downloaded database.
Ben
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9