Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2023 11:03:51(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I like it a lot! Sound from 4 speakers. Running is very smooth and strong. Motor control is excellent. The pantographs don't fully extended up. This is due to the lack of enough length inside the cars for the cable to be long enough. Thusly they also can not bounce like the ICE4s do.The Piko version has prototypical ones, and so are not digital extending. The Piko has one light function the Marklin doesn't. Windscreen visible exterior direction lights on the forward console.
The many light and sound functions are nice.
I don't think it will be wise to try installing passenger figures. The model is very complex in assembly and the parts diagram doesn't show how the lighted destination boards connect.
If you get one I think you will be pleased. Details are well done. At 44 inches long, it is a good size for medium size layouts. A supplemental car set makes it nearly 60 inches.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2023 17:33:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have the Piko Set with all 11 units. I am waiting for delivery of my Maerklin Basic Set. I have all three of the supplemental sets on order.
The Maerklin set has the two pilot coaches, plus the central section with the restaurant and adjacent coaches. The additional sets fit between the central section and the respective pilot coach.
There were some aspects of the Maerklin model which appeared better rendered than the Piko version. The headlights seem more prototypical on the Maerklin version (to name one).
There are some elements of the Maerklin model which appear disappointing.

The initial train announcement is for the section between Milano and Como. Secondary announcements (next stop) incrementally play for the route between Como and Zurich. It was reported that the destination signs however, state Zurich to Milano, which is the opposite direction of the announcements.

It was also reported in some German forums that some printing (coach number) is missing on one of the two pilot coaches.

I am hoping that this was corrected with later models and the model that I will receive will have this rectified. With today's prices, a return to the dealer would be very costly.

This video (German) shows how figures can be added relatively easily:

Regards

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2023 18:12:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes Mike! In addition, the Marklin destination boards also say Chaisso, so I'm confused, not knowing the actual individual Eurocity schedules. Perhaps Marklin team was aboard one while recording at stations announcing another?
Another Piko difference is the shape of the forward edge of the drivers console. Prototype photos show an arcing shape, as the Marklin has. The Piko has definitive folds between the center screens and left and right ones.
The Piko noses open to couple a second train. Not many home layouts can accomadate two.
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2023 13:44:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Mike, I think maybe Marklin got the announcements correct. One in German says Milan-Salzburg, one in Italian and one in German says Como San Giovanni, Chaisso, Belinzona, Lugano, Zug, Zurich main station. Another; "Welome to Eurocity service to......" is in Italian, and English
Offline mario54i  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2023 15:08:09(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
post canceled
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2023 15:16:22(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

What is written in the train is only 1 way or is it ok for 2 way travel?
If it is only way way and the audio recordings are for 2 way, but in different recordings/mfx functions then I see no problem.
It is not so interesting if the announcements are just for 1 way and the boards in the train advertise the other way.

A better option is to have the station announcements coming from the station and not from the train.

If what is written in the train is just for 1 way travel, better not care so much or you may end up having the train just moving in one direction, because travel in the opposite direction is not according to what is written in the train.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2023 17:03:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
True Miguel, but if the train is at a station, then either is ok. It does have both to and from destinations on at least two. One is a very short one, so one way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2023 18:07:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is cool to have station announcements (platform announcements) built into your station (Einfahrt/Abfahrt Gleis 3), but what do you do about in train announcements (naechste Halt XYZ)?
I always found it funny that they design it so that you can hear a dining room conversation from above the layout.

The destination signs on the 39810 supposedly say Zürich-Chiasso but the announcement says Milano-Como-Zürich. Other announcements say next stop XYZ and provide sequential stops on the northbound route as well as which side the passengers should exit. It advances each time you play it.

The main announcement is only valid for the Italian segment of the route ("next stop Como SG").

They should have compromised and chosen maybe Arth-Goldau or Bellinzona, as these two are major points in both north and southbound traffic and can be used in either direction and cover approaches from either side.

I will do a full comparison between the Piko and Maerklin models once I have received my 39810

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2023 18:16:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
When I was 9, I was fascinated by Zürich and Luzern Hauptbahnhofs, especially the trains coming in, the locomotives being detached, another one coming in and pulling the train out from the other end.
In Montreal, we would watch trains near Dorval or Montreal-West (through stations) as non-passengers were not allowed on the platforms at Central Station or Windsor Station.

I always liked reproducing this in model on dead end tracks. I would put an uncoupler with a signal track in front of it, drive a train onto the uncoupler, detach the locomotive, move forward into the signal area and then pick up the train from the other end and leave in the opposite direction.
One thing that I treasure was that I could then back the locomotive out to a holding track and then back in to pick up the next train which came into the "station"
I am not and have never been a fan of models with prototypical couplers on one end because this deprives the modeller of the realistic operation that fascinated me. Having a driver in the cab at one end of the train also made no sense to me, as the models ran in both directions. I just imagined the driver in the lead cab.

Trainsets solve this issue, so I guess they had to come up with new issues to confront us with ;)

Regards

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2023 22:13:14(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The Marklin says Arth Goldau in one announcement. I didn't notice replay progression, so I'll listen again. Yes! Announcment 2 progresses in stops 5 or 6 times.