Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2023 16:53:00(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hi everyone,

For an upcoming project, I m looking for pictures of Amtrak F7 in combination with Burlington Northern F7 s. Trying google I didn t have much luck and living in Europa, doesn t make it possible to just go somewhere and ask. So is anyone has nice pictures of said combinations (or nice combinations from the starting periode of amtrak, those are very welcome as well).

Thanks in advance,
Kristof
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2023 05:35:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Artologic  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2023 18:29:44(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply, your pictures open some other possibilities for me, they will for sure be useful. Thank you for that.
It however appear I didn t formulate my question correctly, I m looking for pictures where burlington and amtrak f7 units are pulling amtrak passenger trains. The closest I got to this, is this picture: https://modelrailroadnew...n-atlas-amtrak-f7-10.jpg , but they could as well be parked in the pictures and "accidentically" be together. If you or anyone would have some material regarding this, that would be really great.

Thanks!
Kristof
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2023 00:48:04(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
So you are looking at Amtrak's short-lived "Rainbow Era". In the first half of the 1970s, equipment was haphazardly mixed to form consists, resulting in trains with the mismatched colors of several predecessor railroads:

"Amtrak began operations in May 1971 with a mixture of equipment still painted in the distinct colored liveries of the freight railroads that relinquished their passenger service to Amtrak. The company retained the equipment that it determined to be in the best condition, and elected not to keep the same rolling stock on the same routes. Since this resulted in trains with mismatched liveries, which contrasted with the previous coordinated liveries, that period was later known as the Rainbow Era. To build the brand of Amtrak as a unified passenger railroad, the rolling stock was gradually repainted into a new system-wide livery starting around 1972. [...] When Amtrak took over intercity passenger rail service on May 1, 1971, it inherited a collection of rolling stock from twenty different railroads, each with its own distinct colors and logos. Operating only 184 of the 366 privately operated trains, Amtrak was able to pick the 1,200 best passenger cars to lease from the 3,000 that the private railroads owned. Equipment was used nationwide and did not always stay on predecessor routes, resulting in trains with the mismatched colors of several predecessor railroads. This "Rainbow Era" was short-lived; Amtrak began purchasing some of the leased equipment in mid-1971, setting the stage for wholesale repainting from 1972 to 1974."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_paint_schemes

Prototypewise this means that Amtrak "recycled" not only F7 diesels, and that an Amtrak-BN loco consist most likely would not have pulled a "clean" train consisting of passenger cars in "pure" Amtrak livery.

Found on Flickr:

UserPostedImage
AMTRAK F7A #107 & BN F3A #676
AMTRAK F7A #107, ex-BN 9788, nee NP 6513A
BN F3A #676 ex-GN 458A, GN 306A
unknown location, 1974.

UserPostedImage
Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha crossing the ex-Northern Pacific Mississippi River Bridge in north Minneapolis with A-B-A Fs in August 1973.

Edited by user 14 May 2023 19:05:06(UTC)  | Reason: Formatting error corrected.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Artologic  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2023 17:50:54(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Alsterstreek,

That s what I m talking about. I think it s an interesting period and you had some pictures about exact what I was looking for. Thank you very much for those! For now I only have the burlington + amtrak f7 engines + amtrak consist, but in time I probably will mix them up a bit.
Thank you for providing the info!

Kristof
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Artologic
Offline artfull dodger  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2023 01:20:07(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
When Amtrak took over the majority of the USA passenger service, it didnt take long for the engines and passenger cars to get spread around the country. It was a very "colorful" time till things got repainted into the new colors. So a train made up of mix and match engines, and even passenger cars is prototypical in those first couple years of operation.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline Artologic  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2023 23:58:50(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
That s what makes this so interesting for me, the colorful combinations, everything goes. Currently having a small USA collection, it s fun not to have to choose for one railroad firm this way. Also not helping, is that there is only 1 number f7 in z, and it s not having enough power to pull the whole consist and renumbering is way above my skillset. The amtrak loco coming this year could be a fix to this, but colorful stays fun.
Anyone having more interesting pictures, don t hesitate to share!

Best,
Kristof
Offline tonyfh  
#8 Posted : 16 June 2023 09:53:14(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello Kristoff, all,

I have no experience with the firm I am going to mention, but for American Z models you can have a look at the American Z Line models, https://www.azldirect.com/azl-locomotives

Looks interesting to me in case your interest is in Z scale American models.

Succes, Tony.
Offline Artologic  
#9 Posted : 16 June 2023 13:31:47(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply! I know the firm (AZL), but living in the country right next to yours, I m going to order stuff like that at 1zu220shop or anything in Europe. Still thank you very much for bringing it up!

Kristof