Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2023 10:39:13(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi!

I'm still on the phase of testing before actually building a layout, even though I have one planned out. And I'm happy I've chosen to do this testing/validation phase.

Today was the first time I tried a turnout. I've bought turnouts second hand on eBay and tested that the solenoids work, and they do. However looks like there's a poor connectivity as locos jitter over the turnout. They clearly slow down due to powerloss. If I drive slow, the locos stop. I've used multimeter to track the issue, but everything looks ok...

Here's a video of it

Is this normal? If not, is there a fix?

BR,
Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2023 13:01:11(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
I think your switch has some corrosion or contamination in the swichting blades.

One possibility is to:
- use a contact fluid spray and a soft brush at the contact plates / rivets of the blades
- change the switch a few times to make the corrosion / contamination / dirt go away
- wipe the excess liquid

It reminds me of my N gauge track problems (using Fleischmann Profi track).
At the time, it was solved using Arnold track.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2023 15:29:35(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

I'm still on the phase of testing before actually building a layout, even though I have one planned out. And I'm happy I've chosen to do this testing/validation phase.

Today was the first time I tried a turnout. I've bought turnouts second hand on eBay and tested that the solenoids work, and they do. However looks like there's a poor connectivity as locos jitter over the turnout. They clearly slow down due to powerloss. If I drive slow, the locos stop. I've used multimeter to track the issue, but everything looks ok...

Is this normal? If not, is there a fix?

BR,
Eino

If you look carefully under the point blades near the pivot you'll see gold coloured contacts which make contact onto the underside of the rails. These can get tarnished and cause poor contact to the rails with exactly this result. You can often clean them successfully using contact cleaner (I find WD-40 contact cleaner spray (not regular WD-40) works well). Spray the contacts and operate the point blades back and forth to polish things up a bit. In extreme cases I have had to resort to removing the point blades (the clear plastic pivot is clip fit and can be easily released (be gentle and careful, though). Once done, you can polish the underside of the rail and the contact itself to get rid of any tarnishing and also re-tension the contact wiper to make sure it makes good contact with the rail.

Hope this is helpful, all the best

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline einotuominen  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2023 16:04:59(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks guys!

I’ll try WD 40, the general store next door happens to sell it, though they are closed for two days due to the finnish labor day. So I’ll post result next tuesday. Let’s see if it helps.

BR,
Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2023 16:37:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Of course, you are not talking about WD40 mechanical cleaner I hope.
This will help only with gears etc. The residue will help collect dust which will make matter worse.
You need to use CONTACT cleaner like the WD40 Catact cleaner (Yellow cap)
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2023 16:50:12(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Of course, you are not talking about WD40 mechanical cleaner I hope.
This will help only with gears etc. The residue will help collect dust which will make matter worse.
You need to use CONTACT cleaner like the WD40 Catact cleaner (Yellow cap)
Jean

Here’s a product link: https://www.tokmanni.fi/...ine-400-ml-5032227473683

Hopefully you can use google translate / in browser translator.

Best,
Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2023 17:20:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Yes this is the one for you
Jean
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2023 14:54:15(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
There are a couple of spots in the point that seem to collect muck, those flat strips of metal.

A very very short stiff brush, an old toothbrush will do, with the bristles cut short, or Braun electric tooth brush (a spare!). Clean with lighter fuel.

Just give it a few minutes for all the lighter fuel to evaporate before you turn the electricity on!

I also use lighter fuel to clean loco chassis, putting all the bits in a small container & giving it a good shake... 'Shaken not stirred'.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline einotuominen  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2023 14:38:13(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
The WD 40 was a great solution. Locos now perform quite nicely on turnouts as can be seen on this video where I run a very simple switching operation:
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2023 19:37:13(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I use this spray on the track in general. I made a little cleaner wand and have a piece of cloth on it. A few sprays is all the is needed.

Cleaning the tack always makes a difference.

Take good care.

Dwight