Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline egonzinc  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2023 16:02:25(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
Asked this about 8 months ago… trying again…

I have some recent Roco AC digital sound locomotives I have tested in my analog C-track test loops.
They run well. Sound and lights come on, then revs up and moves smoothly. But some of them move relatively slow, even at the “highest” setting possible. I was wondering if there is a setting inside the model that makes them move a little faster. Have not tried pulling any cars yet. It said to run them 30 minutes in each direction for best results and I have yet to run them that long.But have run them 10 minutes or so that I think would loosen them up with no difference.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2023 16:06:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
First of all we have to know what type of decoder you've got and than we can further inestigate what's wrong, it looks like you have the shunting mode on which reduces the speedby about half.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2023 00:12:00(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

We need to know more about the Roco model (reference number) and the first production date (if you can)
Was it purchased new or second hand?
Is it MFX capable?, DCC? MM2?
Pictures of the inside and of the decoder would help those of us having the same model to provide help. In fact this is a must.

Note: on Märklin decoders like the mSD3 mLD3 there are multiple CVs and one in particular to adjust the maximum speed in AC (CV79 for Fx Adjustments.
Roco never installed Märklin decoders but being able to look into the decoder full documentation would help. So this CV79 will not work for your decoder (just an example).

Please help us to help you by providing detailled information about your model.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2023 03:38:09(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
Indeed some more information about your Roco loco would be very helpful.
If it is a recent loco most probably it will be equipped with a Zimo decoder in wich maximum speed can be adjusted via CV.
In an H0e roco i had similar behaviour when running in analog but that was solved adjusting the corresponding CV.
If you provide us with more info about the model and if you have only an analog setup or some digital capabilities we could be of more help.
Regards
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline egonzinc  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2023 16:45:10(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
Thanks for your responses.
I will get the details and post asap.

In all cases muy Roco locomotives are new and recent.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2023 09:40:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: egonzinc Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering if there is a setting inside the model that makes them move a little faster.
Usually there are settings (CVs) that allow to set starting speed and maximum speed for analogue operation.
Those settings vary by decoder manufacturer and decoder manual.

Do you have a digital controller? If so, can you read CV 8? This will identify the manufacturer/distributor of the decoder.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline egonzinc  
#7 Posted : 25 April 2023 02:19:00(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
About 10 monthscago I set up my test loops and I got the pueces to have one loop digital. But I got carried away linking and adding other loops and never used the digital control.
By the repkies I believe I will have to add the digital controller, even if it is to a piece of straight track, to make the changes to these “slow runners”.
Hooefulky that fuxes the situation. I’m very afraid of opening up the Roco locomotives. I feel comfortable with HAG and Marklin, but the insides of Roco are something else.
But from the respinses so far, it looks like the solution is digital. Initially I thought it might be some setting that I had to switch inside the loco.
Once I get the information posted here, I’m sure that with the guidance from the firum members, I have a good chance to solve the problem.
It is still surprising that the loco would come with a slow configuration out of the box.
The manfacturers are assuming everyone has a digital set up. Most of my locomotives are pre 2000 and my layout from 1993 to 2000 was analog.
I’m sure some day I will try out the digital, and that seems to be coming fast, even if it is to reprogram these sliw runners.
I appreciate all the input and as soon as I have some time I will post the detaiks of the locos and of the digital controler I have, still in its box!
Eduardo
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 25 April 2023 08:08:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: egonzinc Go to Quoted Post
It is still surprising that the loco would come with a slow configuration out of the box.
The manfacturers are assuming everyone has a digital set up.
Can you measure the speed of the locos?
Times have changed and the Märklin #3000 is no benchmark for other locos.

According to NEM, H0 locos should not be faster than 130% of the prototypical scale speed.
When I started with digital locomotives, I found some of them rather slow. But a TRAXX freight loco is much slower than a Taurus loco - and Märklin locos from the last century do not care about NEM and run much faster than they should.

My Märklin BR 120 (prototype 200 km/h) beats my Märklin ICE 3 (prototype 330 km/h) by far.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2023 08:15:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
First thing to check is that you have not activated "Rangiermodus" on the locomotives. This, as was stated above, will reduce the max speed and change the acceleration/deceleration settings. This can be corrected by pressing the corresponding F key.

The newer Roco digital locomotives have a Zimo decoder. I am not certain how much of the settings can be modified without using Zico's own controller.
When sound is activated, the sounds are timed to the speed of the locomotive. If you have somehow changed the settings, it is possible that it takes a long time for the locomotive to get to speed.
The instructions would normally show which CV value to adjust to change this.

There are also settings for acceleration and deceleration delay (not sound dependent) and max speed. The decoder instructions should provide the CV values.

Two questions:

1) How is the performance of the locomotives in question when the sound is turned off?

2) How is the performance of the locomotives when powered analog (not digital)?

I, too, have a lot of Roco models as not every model is made by mother M.
I have an ESU Programmer, but am thinking of getting a Zimo one as I am approaching two dozen of these locomotives these days.

I have not experienced any issues with slow runners. I have had a few issues that were solved by figuring out which function I unintentionally activated.

The test function on the ESU Programmer has been useful in checking the full range of functions that I cannot access with my MS2.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 25 April 2023 08:20:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
2) How is the performance of the locomotives when powered analog (not digital)?
That's what this thread is about: the locos run too slow in analogue operation. They have not been tested yet in digital mode.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline egonzinc  
#11 Posted : 25 April 2023 23:08:11(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
You guys don't know how much I appreciate all the input.

My locomotive (I have others with the same problem. but I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for my sake!) is:

Roco 79232
It is a CD BR 372

I can't imagine that I changed any of the settings on the locomotive. I only removed it from the box and placed it on the tracks. Ran it about 5-10 minutes in each direction at almost full power and the speed did not change during that time. Lets say it was going at 20-25mph scale speed at best.

If you buy this locomotive and you have a digital system, would you simply place the new locomotive out of the box on the tracks, or would you have to change something inside the locomotive itself to make it "digital ready"?

Again I'm completely ignorant on digital, but the instructions says:

Running in Digital Mode:
Remove the jumper from the interface

What does that mean?
This might not even apply to my AC locomotive as the paperwork seems to be the same for DC ACC and AC models.

If all it takes is to place the loco on tracks connected to a digital system, I can try that. As I mentioned before I had planned to use it in one of the loops but the decided not to.
Once I place the locomotive on the digital tracks, does the "system" recognize the locomotive and then I can do the changes digitally?

I don't have many of these slow runners, but if the fix is not simple, as crazy as it may sound, I will probably send them off to a man who has fixed several of my very old Marklin and HAG locomotives.
He also works Roco pieces. It will cost me some money, but being a new model, the fix should be simple and not that expensive. I just need it to run at an average speed
I simply don't want to open up the Roco locomotive. When I have in the past, there seems to be no room for any mistakes inside!

Again thanks for all the help.

Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 26 April 2023 05:42:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The instructions for the model apply to the DC (analog), DCS (digital sound) and ACDS (AC Digital Sound) models.

There are references to DIP switches for Cab and Dashboard lights for the DC analog version (AFAICT not the AC version)

Quote:
Running in digital mode:
Remove the jumper from the interface.
Finally put the plug of the chip into the interface as shown in fig. 6.
Attention! At the analog model, the cab lighting cannot be switched in analog mode!

The German text gives a little more clarity:
Achtung! Beim Analogmodell ist die Führer- standsbeleuchtung bei nachträglich eingebautem Decoder nicht schaltbar!
"Note! Cab and Dash lights are not switchable using aftermarket decoders installed in models delivered in analog version"

This is because Roco used the SUSI outputs for these functions and this may not be available for every decoder, meaning that digital control of those functions may not be enabled.

Unlike many of my models, this does not seem to give an inhouse (Roco) instruction manual for the decoder

I found this manual for the decoder type (MS450P22) listed here: http://www.zimo.at/web20...450P22%20SW%202.0_EN.pdf
Pay attention to section 3.5 (analog) and 3.6 (motor regulation)

Quote:
To allow analog operation,
CV #29, Bit 2 = 1 must be set.
This is usually the case by default (CV #29 = 14, which includes Bit 2 = 1), but analog operation may be turned off in many sound projects (sound decoders).
The actual behavior during analog operation, however, is strongly influenced by the locomotive con- troller (power pack). Especially in combination with a weak transformer, it is easily possible that the track voltage collapses when the decoder (motor) starts to draw power which, in the worst case, may lead to intermittent performance.
In the analog operation, it is possible to adjust the acceleration momentum (CV #14, Bit 6) and func- tion outputs (CV #13 & #14).
Note: Actual decoder settings may differ from the default values if a sound project is on the decoder.

I don't know if this means that analog operation has to be enabled in AC operation or whether the decoder recognizes digital vs analog and responds automatically. You may wish to contact roco(at)roco.cc or zimo.at for more info about this.

I hope that this is of use. It would be helpful if they provided a section dealing specifically with AC and AC digital operation, so that the user could find specific information about their type of operation.

Sorry about my last post. As I was writing, I was paying more attention to the most recent post rather than to the original that I was replying to and I did not go back to the original as I was writing.

Regards

Mike C
Offline egonzinc  
#13 Posted : 26 April 2023 21:06:27(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
Thanks Mike.
I’ll just have to set up a digital track and give it a go. Maybe some of this will make sense then.

No need to apologize. I appreciate you and others are trying to help me out.

E
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 27 April 2023 14:52:33(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
As an analog runner, I encounter this problem all the time.
The sad truth is, that every loco is a special case.
You can try to set the top-speed from CV´s, but not all locos use the same CV´s, and some are literally impossible to modify for analog running. F.x. the SoftSine E150.
If you have a -somewhat older- digital Märklin loco (year 2000´ish), you might have potentiometers for adjusting the max speed and breaking delay; You can open the loco and check. Some locos can be adjusted by these potmeters AND by the CVs.
Newer locos from Roco and Piko usually have better/more ways of tweaking. You might have to get in to some weird stuff, like using a different voltage rating for the motor (CV), or disable load-regulation in order to hit higher speeds (CV)...
In your specific case, check CV57.

I basically do 3 things;

1) Where it is possible, I adjust the speed by changing CV´s of the MIN, MIDDLE and MAX speed according to voltage. The trick here is to set the MIDDLE to use the voltage that you would normally run your trains with, and then the MAX just a little higher.
(or in other words, depending on the deco in use: that max speed should be reached at a lower voltage)

2) Run all your trains at a generally higher voltage, so that the slower ones get a decent speed.

3) Then REDUCE the speed of all others (i.e. older analog and Delta locos) with series of anti-parallel diodes in serie with the motor.

As SOME locos will be just IMPOSSIBLE to raise their speed, the only solution is to slow down the others!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline egonzinc  
#15 Posted : 03 May 2023 05:59:48(UTC)
egonzinc

Puerto Rico   
Thanks Henrik
I will set up a digital loop and tinker with the CVs
Have only a couple of these slow runners.
I should just stick to Marklin and my old locomotives. The few AC LS Models are also fine.
Its the most modern Roco that are “finicky”.
Some of these more modern Roco models also suffer from what I call the “Crazy Ivan Syndrome”. They suddenly change direction on their own!

Thanks again!