Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tue Albertsen  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2023 17:30:21(UTC)
Tue Albertsen

Denmark   
Hi All

Sorry - but I have to learn some basic stuff from you :-)

I have a Märklin loco with mfx+ decoder (DSB MV 1102 AC) installed on my CS3+, and controlled via RocRail on my layout. The loco decoder has just been reset to standard factory setting.

The CS3 loco edit panel says after the reset:
Minimal speed 4, Maximal speed 230 (insane high), Tacho 133, and from speed table, I can see 27 decoder steps from 0 to 250. The instructions for CS3 says something like "the tacho only changes the visual max number on the knob-scale" - but maybe I misunderstand that...

The RocRail block speed is set to:
"Mid" for Arrive and Departure and Stop, but of course no stopping is active.

The Rocrail loco forward speed is set to:
V_Min:4%, V_Mid: 60%, V_Cru: 80%, V_Max:100%. All km/h settings is at 0.

When I test the block speed in RocRail - running in automode from "enter to in":
RocRrail says 101 km/hour on average.
But CS3 says 80 km/hour at the same time.

One explanation could be if the CS3 "Maximal speed 230" is not at speed but instead a "level" set to correspond to 133 km/h via the tacho value. Then the 80 km/h on the CS3 would make sense because it is almost the (RocRail V_Mid %) 60% of 133 km/h.

But why does RocRail then record a speed of 100 km/h, and how can I adjust this within the RocRail Loco Speed parameters. Could RocRail somehow override my V_Mid block setting and use V_Cru instead (80% of 133 is almost 100)? Or did I get it all wrong....

Thanks for any reply...

p.s. Just tried to set the RocRail km/h value for V_Max 100% to 133 km/h - but no change...

Best Regards
Tue
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2023 17:56:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Tue
Here a Rocrail fan from France.

Regarding the loco speed with Rocrail my procedure is the following (do the CS3 adjustments on the CS3 prior to RR adjustments):

- adjust the loco maximum speed on the CS3 (and downloaded into the MFX loco) to a value that is credible with the loco in question
- adjust the braking speed and acceleration speed on the CS3 to a value that is credible with the loco and the type of tracted trains.
- insert ,on Rocrail, the protocol (MFX) and the decoder number
- adjust the four speeds specific to the loco inquestion (V_max, V_route, V_mid, V_min)

Rocrail speed adjustments)
V_Max in most of cases 100%
V_Route the speed on routes (straight, no turnouts)
V_Min the speed of a train when approaching a red signal or entering a station
V_min the speed used rarely (mostly on turntables or on blocks using ENTER, then PRE2IN and then IN)

Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Tue Albertsen  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2023 18:12:44(UTC)
Tue Albertsen

Denmark   
Hi Jean
Thanks for you reply. Got it! CS3 first and then adjustments in RR.
But what do you use the tacho setting for in CS3 and why have Märklin factory defaulted the Maximum speed so high. I guess you suggest a reduction of this value to about 133?
Cheers Tue
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2023 18:48:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Tue

Tacho settings on the CS3 are totally ignored by Rocrail
In my previous answer, I forgot one important point which is the CS3 maximum speed of a loco is the reference point for Rocrail to issues its speed commands.

E.g.: If a V_route of a given loco is 62% it is 62% of the max speed entered in the CS3.

Märklin default settings: Often they do not suit me. Is it because of the wide sprectrum of Märklin clients: young ones who like their loco to zoom like a rocket or experienced modellers who exacerbate, slower speeds and more inertia simulation? Often max speed and sound volume are exagerated and inertia is almost non-existant in factory-fresh locos.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Tue Albertsen  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2023 14:08:17(UTC)
Tue Albertsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tue

Tacho settings on the CS3 are totally ignored by Rocrail
In my previous answer, I forgot one important point which is the CS3 maximum speed of a loco is the reference point for Rocrail to issues its speed commands.

E.g.: If a V_route of a given loco is 62% it is 62% of the max speed entered in the CS3.

Märklin default settings: Often they do not suit me. Is it because of the wide sprectrum of Märklin clients: young ones who like their loco to zoom like a rocket or experienced modellers who exacerbate, slower speeds and more inertia simulation? Often max speed and sound volume are exagerated and inertia is almost non-existant in factory-fresh locos.

Cheers
Jean

Thanks again. This afternoon I will calibrate my loco's according to your procedure...BigGrin /Tue
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tue Albertsen