Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2023 13:33:13(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I have the Marklin crane 7051 and the turntable 7186, these are some of the items that were packed for a considerable amount of time. I’m currently having them cleaned and serviced.

One question, I’m planning on using the new Marklin transformer 66471 with these. The transformers I have are old, so thought it safer to use something newer.

I’m also planning on running old accessories with the transformer (such as old lighting, M track turnout lighting etc).

So the question, is the new transformer ok to use?

Wasn’t sure if the specs had changed or not.

Just to mention, I have the CS3 and a digital setup as well. I won’t be using these old accessories with the digital.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2023 14:01:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eddie

These are lovely models (I have them both).
The only thing they need is 16 VAC.

Older Märklin may pose 2 problems:
- the plug and cord made in the 50s were using rubber wire that disintegrates now.
- the overvoltage is usually too high compared with today's standards and may DESTROY recent Märklin locos (peak voltage way too high)

So yes, using the more recent Märklin transformer 66471 has the best safety guarantee.

CS3: Like you, I have a CS3
Using a Crane with a CS3 has limited purpose because you control it manually most of the time
Using the TT 7186 is possible, interfacing it with a M84 but having it controlled by the CS3's events is more delicate as it would need a decoder capable of interpreting position orders

Here is an example of my layout using a 7286 TT (I found a decoder for it: DigitalBahn's DS2010)
It also uses a crane (Märklin's 76510) but it is modified with 2 extra position sensors (rotation and translation)

And here is my other crane 7051 but used manually

Cheers
Jean
Offline Eddie7979  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2023 15:09:45(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie

These are lovely models (I have them both).
The only thing they need is 16 VAC.

Older Märklin may pose 2 problems:
- the plug and cord made in the 50s were using rubber wire that disintegrates now.
- the overvoltage is usually too high compared with today's standards and may DESTROY recent Märklin locos (peak voltage way too high)

So yes, using the more recent Märklin transformer 66471 has the best safety guarantee.

CS3: Like you, I have a CS3
Using a Crane with a CS3 has limited purpose because you control it manually most of the time
Using the TT 7186 is possible, interfacing it with a M84 but having it controlled by the CS3's events is more delicate as it would need a decoder capable of interpreting position orders

Here is an example of my layout using a 7286 TT (I found a decoder for it: DigitalBahn's DS2010)
It also uses a crane (Märklin's 76510) but it is modified with 2 extra position sensors (rotation and translation)

And here is my other crane 7051 but used manually

Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,

I really love your layout, the way you separated the wagons is very clever!

Thanks for the information, i was worried about the possible problems with the old transformers. The ones I have are from the early 80’s but still, I think the new one is a safer option even if it’s just to power the turntable and crane.

One thing I wanted on my layout is some push button switches to play with. This is why the crane and turntable will just remain analogue.

You have been so helpful with all my posts, thank you so much!
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2023 16:46:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eddie
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the information, i was worried about the possible problems with the old transformers. The ones I have are from the early 80’s but still, I think the new one is a safer option even if it’s just to power the turntable and crane.

There remains one thing to check with your transformer, using a multimeter.
Simply measure the voltage between the O and B outputs of the transformer: The no-load voltage when inverting direction MUST be 24 VAC and not more.
Above you are in great danger of killing more recent Märklin locos with electronics.
But, probably, you knew this already
Another possible use of these transformers is as an adjustable lighting source.

Just for fun, here is my 7186 turntable. In fact it is not, it is the version just before called 410NG

Lovely piece of mechanics

Cheers
Jean
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2023 18:52:50(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
The 1950s transformers are VERY unsafe, especially the 280A model.

I used the 280A's a lot till the day I suddeny got a huge 230 Volt shock from the metal case.

See also the topic here:

https://www.marklin-user...30-Volt-shock#post478395

Marco
Offline BenP  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2023 00:11:42(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Love these old, noisy units. The turntable and crane motors require analog ac for power (yellow wire), but can still be controlled with digitally using k/m84 box (shared ground). There are several threads on this forum showing the k84 connections for turntable, incl mine.
Ben

Edited by user 12 April 2023 13:32:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline Eddie7979  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2023 03:40:18(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie

There remains one thing to check with your transformer, using a multimeter.
Simply measure the voltage between the O and B outputs of the transformer: The no-load voltage when inverting direction MUST be 24 VAC and not more.
Above you are in great danger of killing more recent Märklin locos with electronics.
But, probably, you knew this already
Another possible use of these transformers is as an adjustable lighting source.

Just for fun, here is my 7186 turntable. In fact it is not, it is the version just before called 410NG

Lovely piece of mechanics

Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,

The sound brings back so many memories already. I think you can hear the turntable from one side of the house to the other!
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2023 11:46:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eddie
The sound brings back so many memories already. I think you can hear the turntable from one side of the house to the other!

No, surprizingly the turntable (1951) is not that noisy (you have to insert a foam or cork layer underneath, Same with my crane (1985)
I banned my transfer table 7294 because it is way noisier so it remains in its box (what a racket, unbearable).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB