Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2023 10:58:43(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi fellow model railroaders,

This might be a really stupid question but, I wanted to ask if someone could explain some of the locomotive settings that are changeable in the locomotive menu:

1. Acceleration delay
2. Braking delay
3. Speed levels

The reason I am asking, I have a Roco locomotive running in DCC and I have found that the stopping distance is so long (compared to the Marklin locomotives). I played around with the above setting but haven’t found much difference.

When adjusting these settings, does it need to be on the programming track? Maybe that’s why I never saw a difference?

If I could get an explanation of the settings then that would be a good start.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2023 12:38:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eddie
The CS3 with mSD3 or mSD2 deocder allow adjusting all these parameters easily.
Unfortunately, Roco uses a different type of decoder. It may be a Lenz (not sure here) which may be DCC with railcom (Bi-directional comms like Märklin's MFX)
If this is indeed a Lenz decoder, I recommend you to visit this web site https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/info/downloads.php
Not being sure about the decoder you have and using only Märklin mSD3 decoders, that is all I can say Sorry
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Online marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2023 13:56:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Roco decoders are Zimo dcc, with railcom. You need to use the programming track ona cs3 to adjust parameters and cv values. Not all are adjustable. Address is for sure. The Zimo decoders are longer in braking distance, which is more prototypical, and also accel. delay time. They are better too for speed control up and down grades both not under and under train loads.
My Roco 78749 was maxed up on voliume from factory. The acc./brake delays were fine as well, so I didn't try to change. I don't mess with cv's thgat I don't know how will affect the motor, etc. so i didn't try to change any.
Offline rhfil  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2023 15:46:17(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Acceleration delay is the time the loco takes to come up to the set speed. Braking delay is the time the loco takes to come to a full stop. The higher the number the longer the time. Speed levels I am not sure of but I think are maximum speed of the loco. All those can be changed on Marklin locos w/o their being on the programming track. Can't tell you about non-Marklin locos or non-Marklin decoders.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Eddie7979  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2023 16:59:44(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eddie
The CS3 with mSD3 or mSD2 deocder allow adjusting all these parameters easily.
Unfortunately, Roco uses a different type of decoder. It may be a Lenz (not sure here) which may be DCC with railcom (Bi-directional comms like Märklin's MFX)
If this is indeed a Lenz decoder, I recommend you to visit this web site https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/info/downloads.php
Not being sure about the decoder you have and using only Märklin mSD3 decoders, that is all I can say Sorry
Cheers
Jean

Thanks for letting me know, I think this is probably far beyond my skill (plus the decoder info is all in German).
I might have to keep it the way it is I think.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2023 17:04:13(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Roco decoders are Zimo dcc, with railcom. You need to use the programming track ona cs3 to adjust parameters and cv values. Not all are adjustable. Address is for sure. The Zimo decoders are longer in braking distance, which is more prototypical, and also accel. delay time. They are better too for speed control up and down grades both not under and under train loads.
My Roco 78749 was maxed up on voliume from factory. The acc./brake delays were fine as well, so I didn't try to change. I don't mess with cv's thgat I don't know how will affect the motor, etc. so i didn't try to change any.

I think I’ll do the same and not touch any of that stuff. I might try changing to the acc & brake delays while on the program track and test it… other than that I’m not going to touch anything else.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Online marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 10 April 2023 22:51:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Zimo user manuals are in German and English on their site.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2023 12:37:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post

1. Acceleration delay
2. Braking delay
3. Speed levels
AIUI there are two braking and acceleration delays: Those that are set in the decoder and handled by the decoder, and those there are set in and handled by the CS3.

When the delay set in the CS3 is shorter than that set in the loco decoder, you will still get the full decoder delay.
To reduce those, use CVs 3 and 4 of the decoder.

With a short delay set in the decoder, you can still set a longer delay in the CS3.
Note that doing so will prevent the sound of squealing brakes being heard with many locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 18 April 2023 01:13:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
With a short delay set in the decoder, you can still set a longer delay in the CS3.
Note that doing so will prevent the sound of squealing brakes being heard with many locos.

Excellent point Tom.

This leads many users to think that the brake squeal function is broken, when in reality it is just misconfigured.

A subtle thing and easily fixed once diagnosed.

Cheers
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline QQQ1970  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2023 03:55:54(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post

1. Acceleration delay
2. Braking delay
3. Speed levels
AIUI there are two braking and acceleration delays: Those that are set in the decoder and handled by the decoder, and those there are set in and handled by the CS3.

When the delay set in the CS3 is shorter than that set in the loco decoder, you will still get the full decoder delay.
To reduce those, use CVs 3 and 4 of the decoder.

How to set the braking and acceleration delay in the decoder? What is the difference between the two sets of delays in decoder and CS3?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970