Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2023 18:07:08(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys,

I have my own business and was just playing with an idea of incorporating MRR to it. So I came up with the idea of creating small winter MRR layouts that I could rent to local businesses for their shop windows during christmas time. Not so original idea, but could make a few euros with it and if no one wants to have it, I’d have at least the demo track at home for the hollidays BigGrin

So what should I consider carefully?

- Definitely analog
- No turnouts
- Only one loco per track
- No gradients
- Timer switch to cut power off during night time

But what to consider with the locos? I guess they would be running 16 hours a day for 2-4 weeks. Can Märklin locos take this?

Best regards,
-Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2023 23:06:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino

The first loco I purchased was a brand new Märklin (so I thought) having been used to make its turns in the shop windows.
The slider was carved and some mix of oil and metal was showing underneath.
So that is to say that running a loco or a train 14 h a day is something.
Märklin can do it BUT:
- Is it really important to let it run even when no one is waching?
- In intensive use like this, a minimum weekly cleanig and LITTLE lubrication is in order
- ideally a window switch would be great to detect a call for demonstration. Maybe this does not call for any shop modification like this capacitive thru glass switch
See here

Alternately a light switch through the window can start a demonstration.
Alternately, a digital loco can turn and stop for a while before re-starting again using an older central station
Cheers
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2023 09:38:35(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
It is true that most of the time, there propably would not be spectators at the model.

In order to minimize point of failures I'd keep it more simpler... maybe just a simple timer that would cut the power with circuit track perhaps for a 30-60 seconds and then the loco would run another round.

Or maybe have a physical push button. This would only work if the model would be located in a waiting lobby or similar. Push button would turn the circuit on and circuit track would cut it. That way the loco would travel one full round with one push. This would however complicate the structure of the layout as the controls could not be physically attached to the baseboard (kids would most likely cause the loco to fall from track if pushed too hard and fighting over who get's to push next)...

Great to hear that Märklin locos could at least in theory take it. Don't know if 30-60 second stops would make much of a difference though.

-Eino
Offline Br502362  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2023 11:36:23(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi.

Märklin had this in the 70's, activated by light sensor.

SCHAUFENSTER

Cheers
Åke
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2023 12:09:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
@Eino: the reason I mention optical sensor is because the vast majority of shops will not accept to have a hole drilled for the cable and how to fix temporarily a physical switch outside?
@Åke I didn't know this. Seems great and fulfilling the need I mentionned earlier.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2023 12:15:28(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Just remember to zig zag the catenary wire to spread the wear evenly.

When I was young a big London toy shop Hamleys in Regent Street, would have a train running the whole time over Christmas round a big upstairs balcony. One could walk all the way round with it.

When I went there the train was a VB Mistral using catenary and pulling those silver 'INOX' carriages. VB pantographs have copper bars, I do not know how long they lasted.

Magical.!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline einotuominen  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2023 13:38:09(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
@Eino: the reason I mention optical sensor is because the vast majority of shops will not accept to have a hole drilled for the cable and how to fix temporarily a physical switch outside?
@Åke I didn't know this. Seems great and fulfilling the need I mentionned earlier.
Cheers
Jean

This is absolutely true.

I didn't really think of putting any interaction, but maybe some rethinking should be in order. In my previous job we did a lot of christmas windows with interaction (though I was not in the electical engineering team, but software). The temperature isolated special glasses in we use in Finland really caused all kind of trouble back in those days.

BR,

-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2023 21:57:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I think the system from Märklin, shown by Åke, worked by blocking the ambient light.

I would do the opposite:

Make a small box, painted black inside - to prevent sunlight activation - and then mount an optical sensor in the bottom of the box.

A small sign above the box telling people to shine the flashlight from their smartphones into the box, which would then start the train BigGrin

Per.

P.S: And have tunnels on the layout, kids love tunnels BigGrin

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2023 08:39:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
I guess they would be running 16 hours a day for 2-4 weeks. Can Märklin locos take this?
Some Märklin manuals indicate that locos should be lubricated after 20 hours of use, for some models it is 40 hours of use.
You may stretch those periods at own risk when you prepare the locos carefully.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2023 10:49:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think it would be worthwhile to buy 37 series and add ball bearings to the motor (front & rear), this will eliminate oiling the motor, our locos run for 10 hours per day without any lubrication

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2023 11:31:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I think it would be worthwhile to buy 37 series and add ball bearings to the motor (front & rear)
This applies to older models of the 37 series without wormdrive. But yes, this will reduce the required maintenance.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2023 13:46:03(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Considering Märklin have been producing Shop Window Layouts (Schaufensteranlagen) since the late 1950's, and other working models since decades before, I think it would stand up to it.

The idea of it only running when there is someone actually watching does reduce the wear. A hand or proximity sensor is a good idea and something I'm looking into for my Wonderwheel at shows.

I have run the 3000 on my wheel for hours on end at shows with no issues, however I have a couple of spare Locos and sometimes swap them out just to give each of them a good work-out.

Brushes, Pickup and Tyres are the only things that wear, plus a smallest drop of oil as needed.

Steve

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Michael4  
#13 Posted : 04 April 2023 13:49:22(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Keeping it simple I am tempted to put an old 3000 on a circle of M track and just let it run and run.

Maybe I should turn it round every few hours...

I wonder how long it would last?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline marklinist5999  
#14 Posted : 04 April 2023 13:49:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
A successfuk dealer in Texas has no window displays. The fron of the store is attire, the rear trains.
Offline Br502362  
#15 Posted : 04 April 2023 19:01:45(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

I was digging old Märklin Magazines and found this from 4/1978 magazine.

BR18 (3093) running with wagons for 25 days! 599,51 miles / 964 kilometers a new world record!

IMG_20230404_194400_HDRa.jpg

Cheers
Åke
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline einotuominen  
#16 Posted : 05 April 2023 08:53:05(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Keeping it simple I am tempted to put an old 3000 on a circle of M track and just let it run and run.

Maybe I should turn it round every few hours...

I wonder how long it would last?

This would be interesting!

Lot of great discussion on this topic. Thank you guys. I'll continue planning.

-Eino

Offline Danlake  
#17 Posted : 05 April 2023 12:29:25(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Eino,

For the last couple of years I had my winter analogue m track layout displayed at our local library during the festivities seasons. It was incredible popular with both young and olds.

It was put in a display room with front windows to the street. Ran on a simple programmable power timer switch for 10 min every 30 minutes during library hours. You can see it in action here:

https://m.facebook.com/p...ailway/1281279505539512/

However the last Christmas I just put a simple oval track up as it was quite intense work getting it installed ( size is approx 2x1m). I also started getting performance issues and ended up attending to it every 2-3 days...

Some of the issues were:

1. It would need regular cleaning of tracks and wheels every 5-6 days
2. The layout had gradients and occasional a wagon would get decoupled, despite using the reliable Roco couplers
3. I had 2 brand new digital BR-24 with can motors. One of them only lasted 4 weeks and I had to replace the motor.
4. You need to find the right balance in terms of speed (avoid stalling and going to fast and risk derailing). You can adjust cv settings for digital loco that’s running in analogue mode.
5. Despite changing all the small springs in the m track turnout a couple of turnout would get slack and the switch wouldn’t spring back fully after the train had passed.

My suggestion:

1. Use C track if you can. More reliable and quiet. For a shop assistant to listen to m track noise all day can be quite overwhelming.
2. Setup a analogue and simple system with as few turnouts as possible.
3. Avoid gradients and having everything completely flat.
4. Consider getting some fixed couplers
5. Definitely don’t let it run full time. Either use a schedule or some sort of user activation.

By the way, I initially build this layout with the same idea as you, to rent out to businesses. There was a lot of interest from local business but unfortunately most of our businesses that could afford it and had the shop space available was owned by franchises and it was very hard to convince them as they needed permission from the corporate side of the business.

You can find more information on my build here. There may be some good tips you can use including how to make it light weight:

https://www.marklin-user.../posts/t41132-An-Alpine-

Good luck. It’s a great idea and can bring lots of joy.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline David Dewar  
#18 Posted : 05 April 2023 23:42:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You could buy several 3000 or 30000 locos as they are cheap and swap them over daily for lubrication etc. Keep what they are pulling as light as possible.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline 60904  
#19 Posted : 06 April 2023 20:12:57(UTC)

Germany   
A good idea for a shop window. Anything that moves attracts the people. I have done this. The best engines for running a long time without a service are Roco locomotives. Use C track. On my layout three trains were running on a course with turnouts. Unfortunately I used old M tracks- not a good idea unless you only have train with 4 axle coaches. Make sure that each train has a stop for a moment so the motor of the engine cannot heat up too much.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 60904
Offline Mr. Ron  
#20 Posted : 07 April 2023 01:02:12(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Macys, a large department store in New York city years ago would have a Lionel train setup in their toy department every Christmas and New Years. The trains ran as long as the store was open, and they seemed to just run on and on. I don't think any train company could match Lionel for its fortitude. As I remember, it was a huge layout and took up most of a floor. In fact during the holidays, a separate floor was allocated to trains.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 08 April 2023 01:48:28(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I don't think any train company could match Lionel for its fortitude.

Macy's train displays are legendary - I love hearing about them.

Lionel trains were not always at the highest level in detail or faithfulness to scale but they were sturdy little beasts that might just run forever. They did some top end models of passenger classics that are marvels to behold. The days of making things like that in America appear to be long gone.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Mark5  
#22 Posted : 12 April 2023 21:18:59(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
That sounds magical.
If only there was that much interest in trains today.
I would love to know what year that was, Ron.

Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Macys,.....[...].... As I remember, it was a huge layout and took up most of a floor. In fact during the holidays, a separate floor was allocated to trains.

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Michael4  
#23 Posted : 13 April 2023 17:43:48(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
For what it is worth my highly scientific experiment had an aged 3000 run for around five and a half hours continuously at roughly half speed on a circuit of M track.

Then I got fed up with the noise, turned it off and went to bed.

It seems to have suffered no ill effects.

The brushes are fine and look roughly the same length, the tyres are the old clear plastic ones which are rock hard already and when I ran it the following day it didn't complain or make any dry squealing sounds.

The loco is an old 3000 with a revering lever and old style reversing unit with the two click routine. It is already very worn so I made the assumption that having sloppy gears and axles would prevent any overheating or locking up!

Hardly good engineering practice but don't you remember how old cars used to run very smoothly in the final weeks prior to some terminal breakdown?!
Offline 1borna  
#24 Posted : 16 April 2023 20:13:09(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
In 2015, our club had a layout exhibition where I presented a small layout

2 trains ran alternately for 10 hours a day without stopping!
Every morning I cleaned the rails and gave a little oil to the locomotives that I changed to others about every 3 days to change brushes and sometimes rubbers. The exhibition lasted 20 days in total.
UserPostedImage
6 years ago, the layout was completed in a large collection of trains in Virovitica. There is also a slightly changed appearance in occasional work.
Trains can run for hours without fail, but when the inevitable Murphy appears, anything can happen, so it is desirable to have it under periodic control.
Even 50 or more years ago, I used to put layouts or just a railway circle in some department store windows before Christmas. The trains would run periodically using a timer, a couple of laps and then a 10-minute rest.
On one occasion, in a fashion house, a doll fell over the tracks overnight and prevented the locomotive from circling around, its electric motor eventually overheated from futile attempts. It was a Rivarrosa gauge 0 locomotive V 160.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna