Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hics  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2023 15:52:40(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Hello guys.

I haven't been here for a while.
But my Steam BR94 37168 broke down, a motor to be precise.
I have found and read a topic about this problem on a forum. Here come a question. Can it be fixed somehow? I'm gonna order it from Gaugemasters anyway but share it if you know it please.

Cheers

Silnik 1.jpgSilnik.jpg

sorry guys, I can't rotate those pictures.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hics
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2023 16:06:47(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
That’s a relatively new model… it’s a shame the “maintenance free” motor has failed. I haven’t had any issues with my similarly-equipped loks — yet — but am looking to purchase replacement motors to have on hand just in case. Let us know how things turn out.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2023 16:38:34(UTC)
H0

The standard problem with that class is grease in the motor and on the commutator. Cleaning the motor might be enough, but since it is "maintenance free" this may not be easy.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Hics  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2023 16:40:01(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
...but am looking to purchase replacement motors to have on hand just in case. Let us know how things turn out.

you are lucky. do it ASAP. on USA ebay it is for 24 USD. a little less than at the M shop.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hics
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2023 00:47:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
In this case, maintenance free is just code for disposable junk. The motors in my ESU locos are worlds better than those in my Marklin locos. Cast metal housings instead of stamped steel and replaceable brushes.

My cheap Marklin can motor failures were mostly grease related, particularly in steamers with gearboxes close to the motor. As is often the case, less is more as far as lube goes.

At least they motors are easy to change, still available and very inexpensive.

But it makes me think Marklin is more about display value than operational value these days.

Edited by user 24 March 2023 00:06:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 23 March 2023 01:16:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've fixed to for a customer, same thing to much grease got into the motor.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Online Marklineisenbahn  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2023 01:17:27(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
In this case, maintained free is just code for disposable junk. The motors in my ESU locos are worlds better than those in my Marklin locos. Cast metal housings instead of stamped steel and replaceable brushes.

My cheap Marklin can motor failures were mostly grease related, particularly in steamers with gearboxes close to the motor. As is often the case, less is more as far as lube goes.

At least they motors are easy to change, still available and very inexpensive.

But it makes me think Marklin is more about display value than operational value these days.

Hi Dreileiters,
Well , I agree completely with dickinsonj!
Nowadays Märklin is using cheap components
and quality control is also declining but prices are going up and up. On average Märklin locomotives
go for about 500-600 Euro some special edition models 700-800 Euro , that’s is a lot for Chinese junk!
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline Bryan  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2023 03:38:50(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

I have asked Marklin about the grease used in some of the Chinese assembled locomotives. The Marklin specification for the grease is the one you can buy under the Trix label. With a recent Marklin BR81 problem issue, this was due to the grease used in assembly in China, a problem they knew about. Even with all Marklin's strict assembly requirements, sometimes the wrong grease is used. It was said just strip out the old grease and use use the Trix compound and all will be good.

As for describing Marklin as Chinese junk that is not true. Yes final assembly is done in China on the cheaper models, not for instance on any of the Insider models, track, etc. However, the component parts come from everywhere, all around the world even before final assembly in Germany, Hungary or China. Also all parts used in any Marklin application are fully designed and tested in Goppingen before any assembly is done, in any assembly area. Take for instance the new Flying Scotsman. One of the many prototypes is on display at the Marklin museum at the moment. Apparently other Scot prototypes are being run to death on test tracks for durability and tested for compatibility with M, C and K tracks, sub assemblies tested for assembly, etc, etc. So the preparation Marklin does before the final assembly at the end of the year is unbelievable and all done in house. I really do not mind Marklin being assembled elsewhere, as long as Marklin has the full control over the design and quality and it is all done in Goppingen. Even some of the diecasting for the Scot could be done in Goppingen, can't verify though. They still do have a very large diecasting section at the german site and in full production. The company has to manufacture like this to survive, the days of full Goppingen production are gone. The 'Chinese junk' really applies to brands like current Hornby or Bachmann Branchline, that just do not have the large developement teams or basically any component manufacturing at all. Marklin still are a large fabrication/production company. Just look at the number of staff employees in the Hornby annual report, cannot quote of hand, very small. Thus Hornby and Bachmann example have too much total reliance on the Chinese end for production and it shows. Marklin do not and how they get the high quality factor, the Apple of the model train world.

David
Offline PJMärklin  
#9 Posted : 23 March 2023 05:44:44(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
Hello guys.

I haven't been here for a while.
But my Steam BR94 37168 broke down, a motor to be precise.
I have found and read a topic about this problem on a forum. Here come a question. Can it be fixed somehow? I'm gonna order it from Gaugemasters anyway but share it if you know it please.

Cheers

Sorry you have experienced this problem in a young locomotive.

You may have already considered but there are other supply options for the motor such as : https://www.sb-modellbau...e=details&path=29083
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline mvd71  
#10 Posted : 23 March 2023 08:53:46(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I replaced the motor in my BR94 years ago, but if it goes fails again (which it will) I will go to SB Modellbau for a proper replacement.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 23 March 2023 09:17:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Also all parts used in any Marklin application are fully designed and tested in Goppingen before any assembly is done, in any assembly area.
Can we get that in written form from Märklin?

Yes final assembly is done in China on the cheaper models, not for instance on any of the Insider models, track, etc.
The plastic tracks I bought last year were all marked "Made in China".

I really do not mind Marklin being assembled elsewhere, as long as Marklin has the full control over the design and quality and it is all done in Goppingen.
How much control do they have when they sell items from Tillig or AZL in Märklin boxes?

Even some of the diecasting for the Scot could be done in Goppingen, can't verify though.
For some locos the diecasting is done in the Far East.

Marklin still are a large fabrication/production company. Just look at the number of staff employees in the Hornby annual report, cannot quote of hand, very small. Thus Hornby and Bachmann example have too much total reliance on the Chinese end for production and it shows.
Märklin are a huge reseller. Just compare the Märklin turnaround per employer with the same figure for companies like Roco.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Hics  
#12 Posted : 23 March 2023 10:49:14(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PJ...You may have already considered but there are other supply options for the motor such as : https://www.sb-modellbau...e=details& Go to Quoted Post

It looks good, just the price of it. Its 2.5 times more expensive than a Marklin. For 2 of those you can have 5 from M.
Offline Hics  
#13 Posted : 23 March 2023 10:52:24(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
...You may have already considered but there are other supply options for the motor such as : https://www.sb-modellbau...e=details&path=29083

It looks good, just the price of it. Its 2.5 times more expensive than a Marklin. For 2 of those you can have 5 from M.

Offline mvd71  
#14 Posted : 23 March 2023 17:48:20(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
...You may have already considered but there are other supply options for the motor such as : https://www.sb-modellbau...e=details&path=29083

Yes, the SB Modellbau is more expensive, but you get quality. Some thing that is cheap to buy but does not last usually becomes more expensive in the long run.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71