Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteveK-O  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2023 15:46:46(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Hi all,

I purchased a very nice used 39621 Great Northern F7 engine from a seller in Japan last week. It's from 2016, so mfx+, but not the most recent. It worked fine for a week, and then it locked up dead.

The engine worked well on my Mobile Station 2 test track and then on my 6001/6021 main layout. I updated CV 49 to "03" using the 6021 and so got access to all the sounds with three addresses (07, 08, 09). I adjusted the Vmax up, modeling the scale speed of an F7 Passenger used on the Great Northern Empire Builder, and adjusted Acceleration and Braking delays to be more realistic.

Everything was working fine until the engine locked up last night traveling at a medium speed on my 6001/6021 main layout. It would not run on the Mobile Station 2 layout either.

I got a beer and started reading forum posts. One said to put the train on my old analog track and drive it forward and backward. The engine responded! After that, it worked again on both the MS2 and 6001/6021 layouts!

What going on here? I looked at the DC bias and AC voltage between the MS2 track and 6001/6021 layout and they are quite different, which is probably a surprise to no one. I'm pretty sure I understand that the 6021 is using MM and the MS2 is using mfx+, but neither worked when it was locked up and both worked fine before the lockup. All other engines continued to run fine. This 6021 layout has run probably every decoder from Delta (37184) to a brand new mfx+ train (26360) this week with no issues. I'm reluctant to put it back on the 6001/6021 until I figure out why this happened.

Thanks for any help or insight on this.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteveK-O
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2023 16:00:53(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I suspect the decoder, not the controller. Or possibly the driver board between the decoder and motor.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline cintrans  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2023 00:02:47(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Steve

Looking up your lok, it's an AA unit with two motors right?

I have a Santa Fe F7 (#37622) original AB that was changed by the previous owner to a ABA, he connected the motor in the second A unit parallel to the decoder in the main A unit..... both 5 pole motors....

Using the 6021 controller lok drives good on high speed, but the moment you go to medium or low speed, lok starts shutting down on the track, stop and go behavior and sounds become erratic.... Removing the 5 pole rotor from the 2e unit "fixed" all issues....I figured out that this original decoder cant supply enough power for the 2 motors and shuts down after a short while....

My electromotive ABA F7, digitized with a Mld decoder and 2, 5 pole motors on the other hand runs perfect in all speed ranges....

As suggested by mvd71, i would indeed take a look at the decoder.....

Regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline SteveK-O  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2023 02:46:34(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Yes, my loco is a AA and does have two motors. It's the only loco I have with two motors.

That is good information on what happened to you with an engine where a second motor was added.
My engine was built this way at the factory, so should work with both motors, but what you found might be the problem with it as well.

I do note the AC voltage from the 6021 is less than my MS2 programming tracks. It sounds like you replaced your decoder before trying your problematic modified ABA on an MS2 or CS, correct?

If this is it, Marlklin must know there are issues running this two-motor loco with a 6021.

Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2023 05:13:00(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
The issue is not to do with the 6021 or the voltage you are measuring.

Your loco being factory installed with two motors, will have a decoder with an output stage that is designed to drive two motors.

What may be causing the problem is a build up of carbon inside the motor faceplates. This happens over time, and when sufficient carbon builds up it causes arcing and an increased current draw on the decoder. This may be what is causing the decoder to fault.

John (river6109) has some good advice on motor servicing, or you could try checking out the Märklin of Sweden videos on YouTube.

Either way, if I were you I would service the motors and make sure there is not a build up of carbon first.
Offline foumaro  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2023 05:16:36(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have this locomotive and i also have 14 F7 locomotives exept this.When i bought the loco the decoder fried twice and i send the locomotive twice to marklin service department to fix the problem.The third time that the decoder fried i replaced the decoder and the base that the decoder fits to the locomotive with a new 60976 msd3 by myself.The locomotive working perfect for two years now.
Offline SteveK-O  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2023 05:35:27(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
John (river6109) has some good advice on motor servicing, or you could try checking out the Märklin of Sweden videos on YouTube.

Either way, if I were you I would service the motors and make sure there is not a build up of carbon first.
Thanks, I found the cleaning video at Marklin of Sweeden and will take a look at the motors to see how dirty they are.

Offline SteveK-O  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2023 05:45:05(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I have this locomotive and i also have 14 F7 locomotives exept this.When i bought the loco the decoder fried twice and i send the locomotive twice to marklin service department to fix the problem.The third time that the decoder fried i replaced the decoder and the base that the decoder fits to the locomotive with a new 60976 msd3 by myself.The locomotive working perfect for two years now.
Yes, I read about your experience back on the 2016 review thread for this loco. I know I could have a similar problem that you experienced, even if I clean everything. If I must do it, I will send the loco to Scott and Helmuts Hobby here in the US for a new decoder.

When you had the decoder stop, did you ever try the trick that I used to put the loco on an analog track and drive it forward and back? I have an analog track set up for my grandsons only a few steps away, so was close and easy to do. I was very surprised that this brought the decoder back to life and it's working again on both digital tracks, 6021 and MS2.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2023 09:54:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: SteveK-O Go to Quoted Post
I do note the AC voltage from the 6021 is less than my MS2 programming tracks.
Can you trust your voltmeter? Is it True RMS?
Cheap voltmeters give better results in the DC range with an external bridge rectifier.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 04 March 2023 11:21:24(UTC)
bph

Norway   
one other thing you can try is to update the decoder firmware if there are updates available for it.
E.g. if you have or know anyone with an updated cs3/cs2 you can put the locomotive on the programming track and check for updates.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline SteveK-O  
#11 Posted : 04 March 2023 11:23:46(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Cheap voltmeters give better results in the DC range with an external bridge rectifier.

Yes, I can trust my voltmeter in all things. It’s a Fluke 87 True RMS. Such a nice tool. BigGrin
Offline SteveK-O  
#12 Posted : 04 March 2023 11:29:37(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
one other thing you can try is to update the decoder firmware if there are updates available for it.
E.g. if you have or know anyone with an updated cs3/cs2 you can put the locomotive on the programming track and check for updates.
Thanks for the heads up on that! I don’t know anyone that has one, but good thing to look for locally. Another reason to consider getting a cs3/cs2. Firmware engineers rarely get it right on the first try!

Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 04 March 2023 11:41:24(UTC)
H0

Yes, I can trust my voltmeter in all things. It’s a Fluke 87 True RMS. Such a nice tool. BigGrin
Normally I would expect a higher voltage from the CU 6021 than from the MS2 running on 18 V DC while the load on the track is low.
Maybe that's related to the issue.
The CU 6021 has a DIP switch that allows to reduce the track voltage. I think it is switch 4 which should normally be off.
The CU 6021 has three transistors on the output stage, two in parallel for one voltage, a single one for the other voltage. Maybe there is something wrong at that stage?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bph  
#14 Posted : 04 March 2023 11:48:33(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

ah, in this case, your fluke does not give you the full picture.
if you need the track voltage, you must also measure the dc voltage and use this formula: V AC+DC=√(V AC^2+V DC^2)
for more information: https://www.fluke.com/en/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/facts-about-true-rms-measurement

but the ac voltage alone may also be different because of the transformer used on 6021, it varies with the mains voltage. your meter might also react differently to the different frequencies used in the mfx vs MM signal. you can try using the ac low pass filter on your Fluke and compare results then.
Offline bph  
#15 Posted : 04 March 2023 14:00:10(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the heads up on that! I don’t know anyone that has one, but good thing to look for locally. Another reason to consider getting a cs3/cs2. Firmware engineers rarely get it right on the first try!

yes, and if you have an mfx+ decoder with 3.xx.xx firmware there will probably be a lot of fixes. (note that Marklin has not released updates for all decoders, notably some very early 3.00.xx are missing updates)
example of a changelog: 248244 247 mLD3 - märklin Lok Decoder changelog. Firmware_changelog_mLD3_248244_247_v3-2-2-0.pdf (167kb) downloaded 12 time(s). (note the part number is the key)

but the decoder might also have 2.1x.xx firmware and Marklin stopped updating those with firmware 2.17.19.
ref: https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m537101-MFX-decoders-and-occupied-addresses#post537101

note that there is also a risk of bricking the decoder during a firmware update, so make sure the locomotive has proper contact and is alone on the programming track, and don't interrupt the process.
Offline cintrans  
#16 Posted : 04 March 2023 19:18:39(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Yes, my loco is a AA and does have two motors. It's the only loco I have with two motors.

I do note the AC voltage from the 6021 is less than my MS2 programming tracks. It sounds like you replaced your decoder before trying your problematic modified ABA on an MS2 or CS, correct?

Hi Steve

Nope, just removed the rotor from the added A unit and left the original decoder in the Santa Fe, runs perfect like that now.
I only have the 6021 and a ESU Ecos for digital control, no MS or CS

The second ABA I was referring to is (was) the analog GM EMD F7 (#3349) comes from the factory with 2 analog motors but was modified with 2, 5 pole motors and one Mld decoder..... never had issues with that setup....

Some good suggestions have been made, so indeed check the grime build up in the motors first before switching out the decoder.

Regards
Jean-Pierre

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline SteveK-O  
#17 Posted : 05 March 2023 06:52:31(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. Here are the possible root causes I have heard:
1. Some problems with the 6021 layout, like not enough power
2. Carbon buildup on the motor causing feedback to the motor drive circuit
3. Firmware problem where inputs are not de-bounded or the watchdogs don't hunt and it ends up in a software dead end
4. Hardware problem with the decoder or motor driver

I think I can rule out #1 as @mvd71 said. The Vrms AC+DC for the 6021 layout is over 20V while the MS2 is around 18V. The 6021 should support 47W of stuff, and there is 21W of bulbs on this old M-track layout, but that should be plenty for the F7. It was able just get to 0.3A on the MS2 and full throttle, so about 3W for the loco.

I took it apart and cleaned the motors per the Marklin Sweden video. Both motors were VERY clean, but I took the carbon off the brushes and rotor. Almost nothing on the inside of the faceplate. If this level of carbon can cause this problem, it's not good. It looks like the loco had never been serviced and motor oiling locations looked dry, so they got some oil. I will be very surprised if this cleaning fixes it, but who knows.

I am going to stop messing with it for a few days until my brother in law gets a chance to see it run. His dad worked for Great Northern and saw this engine run in the 60s and 70s in person many times. Don't want it dead when he comes over to see and hear it.
After he has seen it work, I will get on the 6021 track for some extending running and see if I can get it to lock up again and report back.

Offline mvd71  
#18 Posted : 05 March 2023 08:35:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Good plan.

The carbon build up has to quite extensive to cause a problem. If everything was dry, then the lube job may help.

Cheers…..

Mike
Offline SteveK-O  
#19 Posted : 09 March 2023 20:05:37(UTC)
SteveK-O

United States   
Well, that did not go well.
My brother-in-law came over to see the loco and it worked briefly on the MS2 programming track. Then it locked up just moving it back and forth on that track.
I was able to bring it back to life on the analog layout.
Then it locked up again on the first time around the 6021 layout. It is now not responding on the analog track either, so completely dead.

So, it's just going to Scott and Helmuts Hobby to see what he can do.

Offline mvd71  
#20 Posted : 10 March 2023 06:41:19(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Good idea, he has a good reputation