Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline veloboldie  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2023 01:33:58(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
Marklin has number of suggestions on how train sets can be configured. One of them is to attach locomotives back-to-back for more motive power. Tried to do that with my two F7 Amtrak diesel locos (#8862) but they wanted to run opposite directions.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2023 03:53:32(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope you are well. Nice locomotive. Are you using this analog. If you are, the pointer on your controller should point to the direction of travel if the locomotive is on a track in front of you. Test each one and see if they travel correctly. If one does not, work on that one.

I don’t have this locomotive and could not find a parts diagram. Maybe someone else here on the forum has one. It is strange to have this issue, because I don’t on regular DB boggie type locomotives which I use double traction.

I believe you just need to swap the trucks on one locomotive. Move the front one to the rear and the back one to the front.

Just a guess, but usually there is a pin like axle which hold the truck in place. Just push it out from one side and carefully slip it out and the truck should drop out. Careful, this axle runs thru a gear and the gear will be loose without the axle in place. Make the swap and press the axle back in place to hold the truck. I usually mark the front or rear truck underneath when I am working on them to make certain I return them correctly.

This might be a good time to clean and lube your trucks. They always work better then.

Hope this helps, take care care.

Dwight

P.s. found a link for diagrams. https://www.marklinfan.net/esplosi.htm Choose Z scale, then the number of your locomotive. This works also.

https://www.maerklin.de/...2242bfb70401518455bfa86c
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2023 04:50:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In digital operation, it should be possible to change the direction of one of the two locomotives.
In analog operation, if the locomotive has a decoder, you may be able to change the default direction.
If not, you will have to invert the + and - on one of the two locomotives to get it to run in the opposite direction as the other

Regards

Mike C
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2023 05:27:36(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Very high tech! Just swap bogies end to end.

Forward and backwards bogies:
default_53.jpg
(now I have forgotten which is which, but one can see the electrical contact wear a bit off centre)

Sometimes after cleaning an ICE and haven't been observant enough then created a Pushmi-Pullyu (but the one with the traction tyres always wins).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2023 05:45:56(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
This might be a good time to clean and lube your trucks. They always work better then.

I drop the bogies in a small sealable container of lighter fuel https://www.bunnings.com...ers-1l-shellite_p1563463 (Australia) leave it for awhile, give it a shake, usually everything comes off.

Re oil with Faller oil 170489 25ml. Don't over do it with oil.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2023 09:04:50(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Those with a keen eye, in the above bogie photo probably would have noticed the one pair of wheels with traction tyres (sorry for the rough photo with the phone, didn't want to make it too easy!)
Offline thing fish  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2023 09:11:52(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Hi,

I wonder if replacing track connections in one loco and running wires to the motor from the other would help. I do this with HO locos. On the downside; the locos have to be permanently coupled (wires running from one to the other).

C.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2023 09:34:07(UTC)
H0

I think with Z gauge the direction of travel changes when you turn the motor around.
Check which one goes the wrong way and modify it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2023 09:51:35(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
That is effectively what happens with the ICE set with the electrical contacts along the length of the train. But there are just too many contacts, 8 per carriage plus 4 per loco, so permanent wiring would be better. But tight curves and S bends would make wiring interesting to say the least.

Due to Z scale size running a pair of wires would be painful. My guess is most who have an ICE have simply bridged the diode in each loco so they both pick up power.

I removed the lighting blocks with the loco electrical contacts to reduce weight for long trains, up to 14 carriages. 120 electrical contacts not needed, and wouldn't be feasible anyway.
Offline Toosmall  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2023 09:55:28(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I think with Z gauge the direction of travel changes when you turn the motor around.
Check which one goes the wrong way and modify it.

We are approaching Swiss watch room inside a Z loco. The motor only goes in one way.

Here is one with 2 motors, but the motors only fit one direction:
67344.jpg
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 02 March 2023 10:42:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
The motor only goes in one way.
OK, there are some Z gauge locos where the motor fits both ways (BR 216, BR 103, BR 151).
Not sure about the F7 which uses the frame from BR 111.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#12 Posted : 02 March 2023 12:20:54(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I had a look inside my BR 216, BR 103, BR 151 and it's not possible to turn the motor around. All my locos are 3 pole. You would also have to move the brushes to the other end.
default_54.jpg

I have quite a few BR 111 and cut two of them in half to make the twin engine loco. They weren't good runners so no loss. The "6 pole" motor is a dream runner.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 02 March 2023 12:27:45(UTC)
H0

I had a look inside my BR 216, BR 103, BR 151 and it's not possible to turn the motor around. All my locos are 3 pole. You would also have to move the brushes to the other end.
You turn the motor upside down and the brushes stay where they are.
Some folks accidentally changed the direction of travel by turning the motor around after maintenance.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#14 Posted : 02 March 2023 12:39:23(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I can't see how that changes anything. All you have now is the motor starting at 180° instead of the original 0° position.

The motor has 2 wires on the top of its body which are the springs to push the brushes onto the motor. So it can't go in upsidedown.
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2023 12:44:16(UTC)
H0

I can't see how that changes anything.
You turn the motor around and you turn the permanent magnet around, thus changing the direction of travel.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#16 Posted : 02 March 2023 13:00:08(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The permanent magnet maybe rotated 180° but so have the 3 poles or more.

But nevertheless the springs for the brushes need to be on top.
DSC_2414~2.JPG
And the capacitor is also attached to the motor, there is only room on top for that.
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 02 March 2023 13:28:55(UTC)
H0

Here is the exploded view of Märklin 8874 and the motor (part 7) can be turned around.
UserPostedImage

So maybe this can also be done with old F7 models and maybe this resolves the issue here. Maybe not.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#18 Posted : 02 March 2023 13:49:45(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I have one of those. Rotating the motor 180°, I still can't see how it will make any difference. If I get some time I can try it.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 02 March 2023 13:52:56(UTC)
H0

Rotating the motor 180°, I still can't see how it will make any difference.
The field of the permanent magnet is turned around, the field of the electric magnet (rotor) stays the same and the motor goes the other way around.

Effectively you swap the wires to the rotor.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#20 Posted : 02 March 2023 14:02:57(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The brushes are only being rotated 180°, the voltage is not reversed.
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 02 March 2023 14:04:35(UTC)
H0

The motor is turned around, so the polarity is reversed.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Toosmall  
#22 Posted : 02 March 2023 14:15:56(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I still can't see it, but putting that aside. It would be an assembly nightmare unless they labelled the motor top and bottom, otherwise locos would be different directions and then they would have to make sure the bogies were on the appropriate end. Just far too much error in assembly. You need a foolproof assembly not to waste money.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 02 March 2023 16:07:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I still can't see it, but putting that aside. It would be an assembly nightmare unless they labelled the motor top and bottom, otherwise locos would be different directions and then they would have to make sure the bogies were on the appropriate end. Just far too much error in assembly. You need a foolproof assembly not to waste money.

Think about where the North Pole of the magnet is in relation to say the brush with the positive voltage. Now when you turn the motor over physically, where is the North Pole of the magnet in relation to the brush with the positive voltage? It is now on the opposite side, so the motor will turn in the opposite direction.

Offline Carim  
#24 Posted : 02 March 2023 16:38:58(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I would just swap the bogies round. Having looked at the parts diagram, I don't think the motor can be swapped round.

Carim
Offline Zme  
#25 Posted : 02 March 2023 19:54:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

This topic sure has generated many good points.

The truck swap is the only way to go on this problem.

In a z scale locomotive there are no wires which can be swapped. It is all done with contact points and circuit boards. There are a few locomotives which to have some wires in them, but these are usually to connect lights in the rear. Adding other wires would be a challenge and may not be the solution likely leading to more problems.

The motor cannot be flipped for at least two reasons I can think of. The top and the bottom of the little motors are not identical. This prevents the motor from being installed incorrectly. It only fits in one way on these bogie type locomotives. Second the capacitor cannot easily be swapped to the other side of the motor and is there providing a point for power to connect from the track to the motor thru tiny “whiskers” located on the circuit board.

On the older 8874/75 locos, the motor is identical on each side and flipping it over does change the direction of the locomotive. I found this out myself long ago when mine was running in a different direction compared to the others. I asked the members of this forum and that is what I was told to do. It worked and I have never forgotten this. An easy solution but not one which can be used on these newer designs.

Thanks everyone, some great participation and comments regarding this question.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#26 Posted : 02 March 2023 20:04:24(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
why would you want to flip the motor of a loc with two cabs?!?
just put em together and connect them together, no need to swap stuff

or did i miss something :p
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 02 March 2023 20:18:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
We're discussing Z gauge here.
If two locos go in different directions, then you can turn one or both around - and they will still go in different directions.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#28 Posted : 02 March 2023 20:22:35(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
To further complicate things, if you reverse the motor and swap the bogies, the loco will travel in the correct direction but the directional lights will be reversed!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
H0
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#29 Posted : 02 March 2023 20:30:24(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

No but the armature current will be in the opposite direction. I struggled with this myself, but from bitter experience I know it is true!

Cheers

Chris

Offline Toosmall  
#30 Posted : 03 March 2023 01:30:27(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
You were right I was wrong. Still don't get it. Anyway I swapped the motor up down about 6 times (at least an even number) to try and understand.

I couldn't see any obvious indicator on the motor which way up it should go, so marked it with a marker pen.

Got it down to about 60 seconds to flip the motor. I put a screwdriver between the brushes to push them apart, it was just enough to get them around the shaft. Otherwise that would be slower doing the brushes individually.
Offline parakiet  
#31 Posted : 03 March 2023 17:45:21(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
If two locos go in different directions, then you can turn one or both around - and they will still go in different directions.

yes, however that's a problem for one cabbed locs.
Not for the two cabbed ones!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Zme
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 03 March 2023 17:52:44(UTC)
H0

yes, however that's a problem for one cabbed locs.
Not for the two cabbed ones!
You have to explain how that makes a difference... Cool
A double header of two locos going in different directions is not as effective as a double header of two locomotives going in the same direction. Wink Doesn't matter whether the locos have 1, 2, or no cabs.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
ZmeJay
Offline Zme  
#33 Posted : 03 March 2023 18:43:22(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

It is a good starting point for your locomotives. You might change things later for some reason, but most times a change is done by accident.

The basic rule is to have the locomotive direction of travel correspond to the arrow on your controller. From the factory all Marklin z scale locomotives are set this way. If the locomotive does not do this, it is possible someone has worked on it and perhaps didn’t make this important adjustment or wanted a different direction.

I put a small dot on the under side of the bogie truck to mark it as the front. I then mark another surface inside (the frame perhaps)to make certain everything stays the same. On the older first generation locomotives I mark the top of the motor to make certain it is reinstalled correctly.

We do what you have to to keep these jewels going even after 50 years.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#34 Posted : 03 March 2023 18:58:06(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
not wanting to be prototypical
if i want to use 2 br103's. I put em together so the arrow faces both the same direction..
why would I turn the second one?

Offline H0  
#35 Posted : 03 March 2023 19:02:51(UTC)
H0

if i want to use 2 br103's. I put em together so the arrow faces both the same direction..
why would I turn the second one?
What do you do when the two locos go in different directions? Assume we are not using catenary (F7, not BR 103).
That's the question we are discussing here.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline parakiet  
#36 Posted : 03 March 2023 19:11:37(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
I haven't encountered it but I do hope all marklin locs keep polarity direction :p

for the F7 and other one cabbed locs I actually did the truck swap thing. Can't imagine having to do that for double cabbed.. unless it was tampered with!
Offline H0  
#37 Posted : 03 March 2023 19:14:46(UTC)
H0

I haven't encountered it but I do hope all marklin locs keep polarity direction :p
They should out of the box, but sometimes things go wrong when you do maintenance. Or when you get them second-hand.
And when the direction is wrong, then you must disassemble the loco to fix it - same for locos with one or two or no cabs.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#38 Posted : 03 March 2023 22:09:36(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

The basic rule is to have the locomotive direction of travel correspond to the arrow on your controller. From the factory all Marklin z scale locomotives are set this way. If the locomotive does not do this, it is possible someone has worked on it and perhaps didn’t make this important adjustment or wanted a different direction.

I think convention (for DC operation) has it that with positive voltage applied to the right hand side of the locomotive, it will run in the forward direction. It really doesn't matter which direction the locomotive is facing - if you're behind it and the positive voltage is to the right hand rail it will move away from you.

if you have locomotives running in different directions on the same track, one of them has a polarity reversal somewhere internally.

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by user 05 March 2023 16:05:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline veloboldie  
#39 Posted : 04 March 2023 17:05:23(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   

I drop the bogies in a small sealable container of lighter fuel https://www.bunnings.com...ers-1l-shellite_p1563463 (Australia) leave it for awhile, give it a shake, usually everything comes off.

Also a very good product for all your cleaning and lubrication needs is SR24 fluidIMG_6533.jpegIMG_6532.jpeg

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by veloboldie
Zme
Offline Zme  
#40 Posted : 04 March 2023 17:43:01(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That is the stuff the LocDoctor uses and on YouTube, this fluid is seen used in a small tray with the track and locomotive in it. When the power is applied, everything is dissolved and cleaned.

Not taking things apart, simplifies this process and eliminates lost or damaged parts and time consuming adjustments.

I have not tried it yet. Is there a US vendor who sells this product here?

Take good care.

Dwight

Offline Toosmall  
#41 Posted : 04 March 2023 21:52:20(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: veloboldie Go to Quoted Post

Also a very good product for all your cleaning and lubrication needs is SR24 fluidIMG_6533.jpegIMG_6532.jpeg

That is good stuff but I mostly use it to clean the track.
Offline parakiet  
#42 Posted : 04 March 2023 23:42:09(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Search around online or at meetings. I bought a 'big' bottle of sr24.

Still learning the electronics and mechanics but I did revive a large steam locomotive without removing all the cogs and stuff.
Just don't plunge the whole loc in to that stuff.

About those double locs, I matched different ones by speed and bonded the hooks with a fine elastic band.
Sometimes you can just turn around the body or swap the body from another loc.
Next step is to also connect them electronically so they work as one unit.

Sometimes you have to be creative and sometimes you try something impossible.
Offline Zme  
#43 Posted : 05 March 2023 01:32:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope you are well.

Here is a link to the post on the forum related to the SR 24.

https://www.marklin-user...44436-Have-you-seen-this

Using this fluid seems better that the take apart and reassembly of a steam locomotive but may not be necessary for a diesel or electrics.

Quartering the wheels is a hard task for me to accomplish successfully. I always feel if I adjusted the wheels so it is over just one gear tooth, but it never happens.

Like you, when doing double traction I always use locomotives which are similar and have the same type of motor. I have used a Br 74 and 64 together with no problems. I don’t know about bonding them together, but whatever works for you.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#44 Posted : 06 March 2023 12:45:07(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Quartering the wheels is a hard task for me to accomplish successfully. I always feel if I adjusted the wheels so it is over just one gear tooth, but it never happens.

I'll second that - made more difficult by the amount of slop in the gears and the fact that the alignment of wheels on the axle is poorly controlled!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Zme
Offline veloboldie  
#45 Posted : 04 April 2023 01:26:38(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   

default_53.jpg
(now I have forgotten which is which, but one can see the electrical contact wear a bit off centre)

Sometimes after cleaning an ICE and haven't been observant enough then created a Pushmi-Pullyu (but the one with the traction tyres always wins).

Not sure, why I would need to switch bogies. The manual that came with this locomotive has the locos back to back, so they should operate without switching anything around. Also see the image from the 1984 catalogue.Screenshot 2023-04-03 172550.jpgMarklin_8862_Loco_Set_up.jpg
Offline Toosmall  
#46 Posted : 04 April 2023 05:32:58(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   

default_53.jpg

Not sure, why I would need to switch bogies.

There are 2 electrical contacts, look at the electrical contact at the coupling end. On one bogie the electrical contact picks up from the left wheels. On the other bogie the electrical contact picks up from the right wheels (why I put them side by side in the photo).

If the bogies are each put on the wrong end of the loco the power is picked up from the opposite side, so then the loco will run in the opposite direction to the rest of your fleet of locos.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline H0  
#47 Posted : 04 April 2023 08:32:50(UTC)
H0

Not sure, why I would need to switch bogies.
If they were accidentally swapped during maintenance, you may have to switch them back some time.
You can avoid that if you bear this in mind while doing maintenance.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline husafreak  
#48 Posted : 05 April 2023 02:21:21(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I bought a loco on auction not too long ago, not home to check but an old 3 pole one, it was running backwards, a quick bogey swap fixed it. Obviously someone worked in it and got them mixed up. Maybe that’s why I got it?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak