Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeterCambridge  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2023 12:55:31(UTC)
PeterCambridge

United Kingdom   
I have not run my Marklin 3374 loco for some months and have now been unable to get it to run properly. If I hold it so that the front wheels and slider contact are touching the track but the driving wheels are held up about an inch above the track it works, but as soon as I place the driving wheels onto the track it loses power. I oiled it and cleaned the contact wheels and slider. I have no problem running other locos. Any suggestions?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2023 14:07:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter

If I am not mistaken your loco is a BR 216 Beige/ocean blue with a Delta decoder (4 switches) from year 2000.
Its motor is a Märklin 5 poles "coffee-grinder".

First, check the mini switches on the Delta decoder
- all OFF for conventinal operation
- 1 ON, others OFF--> digital address 78 "Steam"
- 1 , 2 ON, others OFF--> digital address 72 "Diesel"
- 1 , 3 ON, others OFF--> digital address 60 "Rail car"
- 1 , 4 ON, others OFF--> digital address 24 "Electric"
- ALL ON --> digital address 80 "Delta control"
Any other switch combination is forbidden.
Note: if the loco has been left alone for a long time, sliding each mini switch back and forth may solve corrosion / bad contact issues.

There are possible failure causes i can think of:
- a brush issue: worn out, dirty or oily or a collector issue. There must be absolutely NO OIL is this region.
- a decoder issue: It measures the current but sometimes this measurement is wrong so as soon as there is a load (e.g.: the loco on the rails) the motor stops (happened to me a few times).
- a (digital?) supply problem (rails, connection or MS2, CS2 , CS3 issues). This does not seem to be the case for you.

To check a decoder issue:
- unsolder one of the motor wires. Don't forget to solder it back when finished testing.
- apply a DC power (8 to 10 VDC) to the motor. If the motor runs and its torque is normal, then the decoder is faulty. Otherwise, the motor needs checking for faulty brushes, unclean collector, burnt coil on the rotor, demagnetized inductor (never happened to me)

The manual may be downloaded here https://static.maerklin....e246d4c9b61581923093.pdf
The exploded view diagram may be downloaded here https://www.maerklin.de/service/...elnummer=3374&lang=2

I hope this helps
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2023 14:29:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Any other switch combination is forbidden.
Note: if the loco has been left alone for a long time, sliding each mini switch back and forth may solve corrosion / bad contact issues.

Well, the other switch positions are only "forbidden" if using a Delta controller. The other combinations can be used when using a full digital system.
But I don't believe that is the area of the problem as the loco runs when lifting the motor end off the track, so the decoder is working in whatever mode (AC or digital) it is being used.

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

There are possible failure causes i can think of:
- a brush issue: worn out, dirty or oily or a collector issue. There must be absolutely NO OIL is this region.

I think this is the more likely problem. A set of replacement brushes and a clean of the gaps in the commutator segments would be my first steps.
Offline PeterCambridge  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2023 14:36:41(UTC)
PeterCambridge

United Kingdom   
Thanks to both of you. It sounds like a brushes issue so I'll take it from there.
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2023 14:45:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
What you will find with these locos and many others, after running over the years, 2 metals between the frame and the bogie have oxidized (mainly the frame) in later years Märklin added a chrome spring between the bogie and the frame., another issue could also be the slider, the same happens there (oxidation), to undo the slider from the spring support lift up the ends slightly with a pair of pliers but be careful not to break it off, than slide spring support out and clean the ends with a fine sandpaper or file and put it back together by pressing down the ends again, again be careful not to overdue it., brushes usually last right to the end unless its been over oiled and the brushes are starting to disintegrate, check the 3pole armature whether the gap between the poles are free of graphite, what I've done with all my Bo-Bo and Co-Co locos soldered a wire onto the bogie and than soldered it to the frame mass and also the motor itself

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2023 15:12:55(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
A Marklinist close to me, for once. Yahooo!!!!
Offline PeterCambridge  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2023 16:12:09(UTC)
PeterCambridge

United Kingdom   
I cleaned the brushes and slider contacts and it works like a dream! Thanks for all the advice. Marklin Forum wins again!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PeterCambridge