Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2023 16:34:32(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

Some time ago, I asked a few questions around the comparability of Roco wagons on Marklin. I ended up buying some wagons and replaced the wheels to AC, they all work really well.

The issue I have is when I tried to install the LED lighting kit 40420 , I also bought the recommended slider 40500 as well. Some photos shared by another helpful member here shows the bogie with a hole predrilled where a slider can be attached.

However, the wagon I have (74568) doesn’t seem to have the centre hole. It seems that the slider fits on top but it’s unclear how to attach it. I find this a bit frustrating, the instructions talks about a spacer but this is for older Roco models, even the decoder that attaches to the LED strip is no longer available.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any solutions?

I’m thinking of gluing it but, just wanted to ask first.

Thank you!image.jpg
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2023 18:48:57(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I've been pondering it. I hace extra sliders with the post on top to fit through the hoes Marklin provides. Roco doesn't of course. Thats an odd slider to me. Looks like it would cartch on the center piko studs. I'm wondering if I can cut off the post on the slider, and glue it to the Roco bogies.It looks like you can with that one.
Offline Eddie7979  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2023 00:00:34(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I've been pondering it. I hace extra sliders with the post on top to fit through the hoes Marklin provides. Roco doesn't of course. Thats an odd slider to me. Looks like it would cartch on the center piko studs. I'm wondering if I can cut off the post on the slider, and glue it to the Roco bogies.It looks like you can with that one.

Hi,
The slider could be glued, it fits nicely on the bogie but it’s just strange that it includes a screw and instructions doesn’t make any mention about it (except that there is a hole for the screw to go in).

I’m also wondering if modelling glue is sufficient or if should get the epoxy.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline cintrans  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2023 00:18:48(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Although i have no experience with the Roco stuff, but that does not look like a "slider" to me but rather like the contact strip that provides a feed point by contacting the wheel axles....

I guess on a two rail system you would have one of these on each boogie to get a "+" and "-" for the lights in the coach

Regards

Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline Eddie7979  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2023 00:27:06(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Although i have no experience with the Roco stuff, but that does not look like a "slider" to me but rather like the contact strip that provides a feed point by contacting the wheel axles....

I guess on a two rail system you would have one of these on each boogie to get a "+" and "-" for the lights in the coach

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,

The slider comes in 2 pieces, the photo on my shows the base and part of the slider. But you are right, the wagons are made for DC, but the I formation Roco provides says it can run in AC when fitted with the right wheels.

I just find it annoying that the instructions tells you what light kits to buy and the correct slider but when you try for them, it doesn’t seem to work.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2023 02:44:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
It doesn't make sense even with the photo, where do you get that part from or is it already on the slider like in your picture, maybe someone else can work it out., there is still the possibility that the copper part touches the wheels.

Image (125).jpg
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline cintrans  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2023 03:41:28(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Reading up on the manual of the lightning kit it states:

<<<<The pick-up shoe spacers are placed on both pins on the underside of
only one bogie and glued in place there: It acts as bracket and protection against twisting for the pick-up
shoe. In the middle of the spacer there is a hole in which the screw for the pick-up shoe is screwed in>>>>>

So it seems you need also Roco #106994 "Pick-up shoe spacer" to install the slider....

Regards

Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2023 08:01:23(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
If you look closely at the plastic moulding of the bogie you can see where the screw hole should be. On mine I was able to drill a tiny hole with a jewellers drill and then screw straight into the plastic. A little tricky but with the right size drill bit it worked fine.

I had no info pointing me towards a spacer to glue on.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Eddie7979  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2023 08:58:12(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
If you look closely at the plastic moulding of the bogie you can see where the screw hole should be. On mine I was able to drill a tiny hole with a jewellers drill and then screw straight into the plastic. A little tricky but with the right size drill bit it worked fine.

I had no info pointing me towards a spacer to glue on.

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I’m also looking at having to drill a hole in the plastic but just worried it might cause the plastic to split. I just need to find the correct drill bit size to accomodate the screw.
Alternatively, I could just glue it in place first.

I think the spacer is discontinued, just annoying that there is still a reference to it in the instructions for the LED light kit.

The base of the slider does sit well on the bogie but it’s just the lack of any instructions to fix it.

Would you have any photos of yours? I’d be keen to see how you were able to over come this issue.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mvd71  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2023 11:43:42(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Yeah, the drill is quite small. It needs to be big enough that only the threads of the screw are cutting through the plastic.

I would post a photo, but I’m currently in Austria and not back for a couple of weeks.

Cheers….

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Eddie7979  
#11 Posted : 27 February 2023 14:28:20(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Just letting everyone know, it seems like the slider had to be glued in place. Not the most ideal but it worked and it’s holding well.

Might try drilling hole and putting a screw in in the future but for now it’s working well.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail