Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline roedj  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2023 12:35:52(UTC)
roedj

This just a general question.

I am considering purchasing a CS3+ to run my Märklin trains. No problem.

I am also considering using the CS3+ to run some O Gauge 3-rail AC-power DCC equipped locos.

In general, what problems will I face with the O Gauge idea?

Dan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by roedj
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2023 12:47:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: roedj Go to Quoted Post
In general, what problems will I face with the O Gauge idea?
The CS3 can be used for N gauge, H0 gauge, Z gauge, I gauge, 2m gauge.
Why do you expect problems with 0 gauge?

Which decoders do your locos have?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2023 13:20:11(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Are these MTH engines?

My main concern would be the current required. The new ones use less current than the older design AC motored version but it is still substantial. The CS3 current limit is 4 amps.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2023 13:35:32(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
The CS3 current limit is 4 amps.
It is 5 A. About 100 watts. Should be enough for one or two locos, even with 0 gauge.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2023 14:33:16(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Dan! Macomb Mi. here!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2023 15:00:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dan
The CS3 or CS3+ is a very good choice and it can deliver 5A using a 100W switched power supply, easy extension using boosters.

Re CS3 vs CS3+ I think it is better to select a CS3 (60226) and a Link88 (for the gathering of sensor data / automation)
The reasons:
- cheaper solution
- separate power supply for sensors
- 3 different buses to grow your S88 boxes
- more power available in the CS3 (no power diverted to the S88 system). Example I have 140 sensors, each draw 5 to 10 mA, so that draws up to 1.4 A from the CS3+, so less is available for the trains.

Cheers
Jean
Offline roedj  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2023 17:54:02(UTC)
roedj

As identified above, my main concern was power - current draw.

Is there a way to divide the layout into two electrically separated districts so the one of them - a very short, seldomly used section of track - is fed by the CS3+ and the other distraict - the main layout - is fed by a much more power substantial booster?

Must this other booster be a Märklin product?

Or is this whole scheme too impractical?

Dan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by roedj
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2023 18:53:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The CS3 has a powerful booster in it, but there is one for the new systems. In order to provide power to the isolated section, it needs it's own power supply for the tracks, and booster. It must be another switched mode power supply, not a transformer. You must isolate not only the third rail, but the outer rails because you don't want any ground current to transition the sections of tracks either.
I'm not a fan of butchering and splicing controller cables to provide a douvle feed for two isolated sections, but I think it has been done. The CS3 track connectors also have current direction flow filters to keep it, and the digital data uniuform.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2023 11:07:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: roedj Go to Quoted Post
Is there a way to divide the layout into two electrically separated districts so the one of them - a very short, seldomly used section of track - is fed by the CS3+ and the other distraict - the main layout - is fed by a much more power substantial booster?
This can be done. The most powerful boosters available from Märklin are 5 A - same power as CS3.
ESU offer boosters with 4 A and 8 A. So if you want substantially more power, that might be an option.

Some third-party boosters can be used with the CS3, but you usually lose the mfx feedback in the boosted section. Probably no problem - I assume 0 gauge locos do not have mfx anyway.

The CS3 can show the current power draw. Once you have it up and running, you can see how much power a single loco needs. Then you can decide how many boosters you need for the number of trains you want to have running at the same time.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2023 13:30:31(UTC)
bph

Norway   
hi
Note that you can power Marklin boosters, including the 60175 with Transformers, but a Switched Mode Power Pack is recommended.
if I remember correctly a cable for use with transformers is included with the 60175. I have used my old 6002 with the 60175, and it works. The downside is that the power is unregulated and you have to watch the track voltage. eg because I have a bit high mains voltage I get higher track voltage with the booster vs from the cs3 with a Switched Mode Power Pack. (the cs3 can not be powered with a Transformer.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph