Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mille  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2023 07:43:49(UTC)
Mille

Sweden   
Does anyone know an event there the trains
goes back to their starting points?
An event i can use just before i turn of my CS 3
Example: all trains goes back to their stations
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2023 11:50:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mille

With a CS3 (CS2 or equivalents) the train locations are not managed (not remembered) so it is not possible to send back trains to their home location.

With a train software like Rocrail this is possible. Why?
- RR knows in real time the location of each train
- each loco may be assigned a home location (which block or group of blocks it belongs to
- RR provides actions that may start ANYTHING you want, including sending the loco back home
- RR provides system action (software start, power-up) and you may create a start-of day action and end-of-day action.

Here is a flavour of what is possible using a train management software (Rocrail in this case on my layout, also using now a CS3 but all logic management is on RR).

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Mille  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2023 12:44:28(UTC)
Mille

Sweden   
Thanks for that information
How hard is it to learn RR??
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2023 13:46:57(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Learning about Rocrail is about:
- downloading the program depending on your computer type (Windows, IOS, Linux, Raspberry, etc) https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=download-int
- reading the step by step guide https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=stepbystep-en
- alternately reading the quick guide https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=quickstart-en

In the loaded program, you have all that is needed, including a demo simple layout
It is better to start with the demo layout and using simulation (virtual trains) moving, using virtual sensors.
In any command, you have a "HELP" taste that will query on your web browser, in your language, the Rocrail guide page.

So, your question: how hard it is?
You need to plan a couple of months reading, installing, simulating, chatting with the Rocrail forum (English, German, Dutch, Italian, French)
To me it tooks one year between first contact with Rocrail and this first test

Which main stations are available?
- you may pick your choice among the 20 to 30 different main stations

Which languages?
- you may pick among the more than 20 languages

How costly it is?
- additional to RR, you need a computer (I use my laptop, no dedicated PC)
- a cable between the PC and the main unit. In my case an Ethernet cable, a win 10 PC and a CS3 (Märklin)
- optionally a router or WiFi router to remotely control your layout

The tricks to learn fast:
- work on the tested (valid) demo program (oval with a passing track) either simulating or even better by having a test layout
- always proceed incrementally: small change, test, safeguard the files, update the name for a new change
- never start a new set of changes unless the version you start from is tested (works well)
- do not hesitate to share your problem on the forum. There are plenty of people ready to help

I am a big fan of Rocrail because of the huge possibilities and because there is no black-mail approach: you contribute WHEN you want and of the amount you want.
It withstands the comparison with any other expensive train software (it is the best IMO)

Cheers
Jean

Here is my control panel today
Sans titre.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2023 21:12:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
An event can end with a train returning to its starting point. After returning then switch off the CS3. Not sure just what it is you want. Are you driving trains without an event but rather then just drive them back you want an event to take them back from various parts of the layout. As Jean says it can take a long time with rocrail to get started.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Mille  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2023 05:42:55(UTC)
Mille

Sweden   
Thanks
I give it s try😃
Offline gamolina  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2023 03:12:08(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello Millie!
If you do not want RR,you can use S88 feedback modules and the Macro Shuttle Event
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2023 01:12:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mille
There is a feature in Rocrail called "home location". I don't use it but here is the little I know:
- when configuring a loco an optional firld is home location (on the "general" tab)
- the home location is either a block or a locality (a group of blocks in a station)
- locos can be sent to their home location (if different from zero) and if automaticmode is on.
- the finder will find the path for locos to go to their home location
https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.ph...der_for_destination_path

I never tried it because my layout:
- uses a combination of aquarium mode and scheduled modes
- home locations (blocks in the steam depot / round house) are shared by 2 locos usually (one is "en route" while the other is at home.
- schedules are called by each other depending on the loco name and other factors (train coupled / uncoupled successfully/unsuccessfully.

Cheers
Jean