Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2006 18:00:59(UTC)
obb_taurus

Hi Everyone,

Ever since I got my 7286 turntable I've been having nothing but problems with that thing, initially it sounded like it was going to die before it got to the next spoke and it always lost spoke 1 and had to be reprogrammed. I later found out that my layout didn't seem to have enough power. Now that I have enough power it works better although the sound of the motor isn't a consistent hum, the motor sound fluctuates. The other problem is that when traveling in one direction it sounds like the thing has sand in the motor, going the other way it's fine. When I hear that noise on a more consistent basis it's almost guaranteed that it will loose spoke 1. A few of my friends have this turntable as well and it's been nothing but problems for them as well, recently one of my friends told me that he read something on the internet stating that somewhere in the decoder book it says any turntables purchased before 2002 should be sent back to Marklin for replacement, if this is really true, I'm sure it wouldn't be in my book since I purchased mine before 2002, could someone please confirm if there is any truth to this information?

Thanks

Mike
Offline Maxi  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2006 20:40:33(UTC)
Maxi

Yes there was an insert included later on indicating that units from that day onward already had the modification done to it and that older units should be sent in for an upgrade when using it with the digital decoder.

Mine came with the notice.

I also remember that there was a website which had information (German only) about a modification which can be made to the decoder to improve it's operating charateristics. Also there was a nother website which shows how to make a decoder which operates smoother and has extra features. I built this module (also available as a comlete unit ready for install) and like how it works.

Maxi
Offline Timaximus  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2006 21:00:40(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Did you mean this link Maxi?

Timaximus
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline laalves  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2006 23:04:17(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Timaximus
<br />Did you mean this link Maxi?

Timaximus

Fantastic link! I'm now quite interested in using one of these for my Fleischmann 6652.

Luis
Offline Maxi  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2006 23:21:27(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
<br />Did you mean this http://www.digital-bahn.de/bau_ds/drehsb.htm Maxi?

Timaximus

That is the link to the site which offers a decoder with extra features. Here is the link to where one can get the finished unit. http://www.bmbtechnik.de/spezial.html
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2006 09:45:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good link.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline craigericks  
#7 Posted : 12 July 2006 02:25:00(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Hello,
I am considering installing the 7286 TT based on the wonderful TT layout pictures I have seen in the "my layout" forum ("Timaximus: the building proces goes on" and "Mikael - Construction of layout 3")

I use computer control software (RR&C0), interfaced through an IB
I have looked at the site from
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:That is the link to the site which offers a decoder with extra features. Here is the link to where one can get the finished unit. http://www.bmbtechnik.de/spezial.html

and have two questions as my experience is only controlling trains and turnouts using the computer software in conjunction with K83s/Veissmann 5211 and contact track indicators using S88/Uhlenbrock 63350 hooked to IB.

1. Does the item above take the place of the Marklin 7687 digital retrofit set? This is the description of the device from the site listed in the quote above, "Turntable decoder (design Sven Brandt) as ready-made device for the Motorola data format"

2. Do I need a K84 or Uhlenbrock equivalent in addition to the item above or does this decoder connect directly to the IB which serves as the computer interface?

Thanks for the help
Craig
Marklin:CS2 and TrainController Gold v10
Offline Mikael  
#8 Posted : 13 July 2006 11:36:16(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
I don't know that specific decoder, but as far as I can read, it is an alternative to 7687. I don't think it needs any K84 like decoder. However, it does require some mechanical modifications in the turntable.
Offline Maxi  
#9 Posted : 13 July 2006 15:40:58(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by craigericks
<br />1. Does the item above take the place of the Marklin 7687 digital retrofit set? This is the description of the device from the site listed in the quote above, "Turntable decoder (design Sven Brandt) as ready-made device for the Motorola data format"

2. Do I need a K84 or Uhlenbrock equivalent in addition to the item above or does this decoder connect directly to the IB which serves as the computer interface?

Thanks for the help
Craig

This device replaces the Marklin 7687 digital retrofit set and connects directly to the track forthe digital signal and to a transformer for the required power to operate the module and lights.

I would advise to purchase the completed module and manual operating box from Boll's Modellbahn-Technik as this module can be rather challanging to construct. This I can say from experience since I etched the board myself and soldered the tiny pieces on myself.

All you would have to do then is follow the modification steps on either site for installing the module and start using it.

Maxi
Offline craigericks  
#10 Posted : 13 July 2006 22:02:46(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Maxi,
Thanks for the information. My hat is off to you and others who have built this decoder module themselves. After reviewing the instructions for TT modification, I find even the modification of the turntable to be a daunting task. I got a chuckle as I was reviewing a German-English translation using Babelfish describing a tool used for the removal of some parts - " I found these in a furniture house, in which loud moose rumlaufen, but it does to something color also..." confusedI guess i would have to follow the pictures!
Looks like this a skill level above and beyond installing a digital decoder in a lok, which i have not yet been brave enough to try
Perhaps for me this a project to undertake down the line.
Regards,
Craig
Marklin:CS2 and TrainController Gold v10
Offline Maxi  
#11 Posted : 13 July 2006 22:12:10(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by craigericks
<br />Maxi,
Thanks for the information. My hat is off to you and others who have built this decoder module themselves. After reviewing the instructions for TT modification, I find even the modification of the turntable to be a daunting task. I got a chuckle as I was reviewing a German-English translation using Babelfish describing a tool used for the removal of some parts - " I found these in a furniture house, in which loud moose rumlaufen, but it does to something color also..." confusedI guess i would have to follow the pictures!
Looks like this a skill level above and beyond installing a digital decoder in a lok, which i have not yet been brave enough to try
Perhaps for me this a project to undertake down the line.
Regards,
Craig

Yes the task is not for the beginner type. There are quite a few steps involved and quite the learning curve for me since I also had to program the unit with the proper firmware. The end result is well worth the effort in my opinion.

If you do decide to try the modification and run into a problem don't hesitate to ask for assistance, that is what we are here for.

Maxi