Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mayleneman  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2023 21:27:58(UTC)
Mayleneman

United States   
I am new to this. I have a CS3 and a 10 x 4 layout. I want to add a 74040 at the opposite corner of my first 74040 feeder point. I understand how to connect to the C track, how to connect the supply ends?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mayleneman
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2023 22:56:37(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You shouldn't need a second feed. The CS3 has a powerful booster. My layout is 14x8, with a 4 ft. double track bridge connecting one 4x8 which has a complete oval, station branch loop, and ramps to the bridge. and a 4x6.5 ft. with a small yard, and small oval branch through a town. Two M83 deoders on track power, S88, 6 turnouts, and signals. A digital ski lift with sound is also on track power.
I run 3 trains at once, all lighted, some regular bulbs, some led.
Accessories and structure lighting are on seperate transformers.
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2023 23:09:47(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/g...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is currently unavailable but any similar would work. It comes in handy for playing with stop blocks. Though I could have done it with just one. I think now just a spool of 22 ga orange wire would have done met all my needs.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2023 00:05:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Mayleneman Go to Quoted Post
I am new to this. I have a CS3 and a 10 x 4 layout. I want to add a 74040 at the opposite corner of my first 74040 feeder point. I understand how to connect to the C track, how to connect the supply ends?

Hi (a first name would be just perfect)
A warm welcome in this great forum.
Here a Marklin HO fan with digital, PC control (Rocrail)
The size of your layout is Ok but what matters is how do you feed the solenoids in switches. Why? because the current needed is much larger than the one needed by a loco and because voltage drops lead to malfunctions in switches.
So I recommend, on a fix layout NOT to use integrated decoders fed by the track but rather have external decoders 60832 with a digital feed line of 0.75 mm² directly to the CS3 or its equivelant in AWG.
Not only, this is cheaper, easier to maintain but also will avoid to see a light change in trains when you control a switch

My layout is L shaped approx 14 X 14, has 26 locos, over 70 switches with multiple feeders but only ONE CS3 (no booster) with a 100W Märklin power supply (60101).
Here is a glimpse of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI

NOTE: on larger layouts, multiple feeds are needed every 2 meters or 10 track pieces BUT each zone must be fed ONLY by one feeder and have insulation between them (only the B part) so as to make a short-circuit search very easy.
Cheers

Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB