Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:11:29(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Finding Marklin at a model train show in the USA can be very uncommon. When one does, its either massively over priced or a great deal. Today fell into the great deal catagory. Picked up the V200 missing the pickup ski and one coupler for $45, and the pair of tinplate passenger cars boxed or $15 each. I was very pleased. I had a spare pickup ski from my class 140 electric that is set up to run off the catenary only. I fitted that, gave the motor a good cleaning and away she ran. I need one light bulb and a complete coupler set up with mounting screw to make the model complete again.
UserPostedImage
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Beaver1986  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2023 06:33:10(UTC)
Beaver1986

United States   
Yes, I've had the same experience.

Years ago I walked from table to table asking, "Marklin? Marklin?" Finally a lady said yes, and pulled out two locomotives: an M3038 (the French BB 9200 electric) and an M3060 (USA Santa Fe diesel). The 3038 box matched the engine, but the 3060 Santa Fe box was a New Haven (3062)--close. The boxes were in so-so condition. Both locos mechanically ran very well without any repairs, initial servicing, or even minor tweaking. I was pleased. The 3038's body showed signs of use, but in good condition. The 3060's paint was less than desirable. However, for $10 each (she offered, I didn't haggle), the non-Marklin train lady at the booth was glad to get rid of these and I was happy to oblige. I did leave with a bit of dread, though, thinking I bought untested loks. But, really, how terribly wrong can one go for only $20 when it's Marklin??

I have not had that experience since. Lots of "no's" from where I live, which is not unexpected.

What did I learn? With a lot of rejection, you sometimes get a yes. And, when you get a yes, be prepared for something you might not have thought you wanted. I probably would never have bought the 3038 or any other French loco. And, recently, I finally found and purchased a set of four passenger cars (M40691) to go with it. (I scoured the internet for weeks until I found a new set in, of all places, France--and purchased it when the Euro was lower than $1).

From your pictures, it looks like the paint and body of your purchases are in great condition!! Congratulations. And enjoy the bit of fun you'll have in fixing them back up.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Beaver1986
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2023 16:03:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Beaver! Where was this at?
Offline owidgie  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2023 21:29:10(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Originally Posted by: Beaver1986 Go to Quoted Post

With a lot of rejection, you sometimes get a yes. And, when you get a yes, be prepared for something you might not have thought you wanted.

Sounds like an old girlfriend I had...

LOL

Rick

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by owidgie
Offline Beaver1986  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2023 21:44:05(UTC)
Beaver1986

United States   
It was at the Kern County Fair Grounds years ago, and annually held.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Beaver1986